2020 E-160 Headset diameter measurements

Statman

Jan 13, 2020
Brisbane
Hi, I have a 2020 E-160 10K and am wondering if anyone has replaced their headset and what the measurements are?

Statman

Jan 13, 2020
Brisbane
I've managed to contact Merida directly. They were pretty quick to get back to me.

"If you want to replace the headset you need a fully integrated one and the bearings must have this dimension: Ø52x7x45°. Furthermore the upper compression ring must work for the bearing diameter and must reduce to 1 1/8” fork shaft"

As much as I did appreciate that they gave me this info it does not seem to be enough. Looks like they only gave me info for the top bearing. I did ask them for a SHIS code but that would be too easy ;-)

I hope to throw in a Chris King one.

Last edited:

Statman

Jan 13, 2020
Brisbane
I don't know if this helps:

Thanks for that but that is for the previous model. I'm not sure if they have the same measurements. Can anyone confirm that the new model uses the same measurements for the headset as the previous?

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Awesome. Thanks for that. Just confirming that that is for the 2020 carbon models?
Thanks heaps
In my email I put that it was the alu version but I'd guess they have the same head tube specs. Maybe shoot them an email to be sure it's the same for the carbon version.

Statman

Jan 13, 2020
Brisbane
Out of luck I think with the whole headset search for a 2020 Carbon E-160. I have a clicking/creak coming from my headset/fork area so I've been trying to find a SHIS code for the headset to replace it with a third party one but after talking to Merida directly it seems like their headset is pretty unique with the measurements. Both Chris King and Works Components are unable to help me with their headsets. Looks like the noise could be caused by the Crown steerer unit according to Merida anyway. Will have to investigate further....

gillyske

Dec 3, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Out of luck I think with the whole headset search for a 2020 Carbon E-160. I have a clicking/creak coming from my headset/fork area so I've been trying to find a SHIS code for the headset to replace it with a third party one but after talking to Merida directly it seems like their headset is pretty unique with the measurements. Both Chris King and Works Components are unable to help me with their headsets. Looks like the noise could be caused by the Crown steerer unit according to Merida anyway. Will have to investigate further....
Hi did you have any luck sorting out the measurement with merida? Or if anyone else knows?

I'm looking at getting a 9point8™ Slack-R™ kit
bike needs to have an IS41/28.6+ IS52/40 Headset.

MeridoshAD

Mar 26, 2022
Israel

Have you managed to fix the creaking sound? I also with this problem, tried everything, and when I hardly compressed the handlebar there is a nasty creak sound.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Merida said the bearings were the same, ie ".......... and the bearings must have this dimension: Ø52x7x45°. ................"

But they could have been more explicit, and provided internal dims too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles