2020 Decathlon Stilus maintenance and repair

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans
Hi great post im having trouble registering my warranty. when i try it comes up with the wrong type of bike. I must have the format
wrong i guess my serial starts KC0154***1 is this the wrong number possible not the serial number ?

Many thanks
I dont think its the one stamped on the frame. I had a white sticker with a 12 digit number on it, no letters. This was the one I used.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
I can't remember if the upper bearing is the same or not as I don't own the bike any more. Someone will be along to tell you soon enough but what I can say is the Stilus eats crown race bearings I.e. the lower one linked above. You're far more likely to have to replace that one than the upper one & in any event, it's a couple of minutes work to disassemble the stem & take the fork out.

Adding a shorty mudguard will help keep a bit of water out of the way & prolong the bearing life. Also, the oem bearing is an FSA part, so not Decathlon penny pinching, it's just a design flaw that the bearing is so exposed to water ingress & if you're at the point where it needs to be changed, you will find that the original has rusted.

ETA: Have a look here, where I & some others discussed upper headset bearing replacement.

I decided that the whole world of headsets is far too confusing for my limited brain power so I have just received a new FSA headset from Tredz. Only thing I need to re-use will be the spacers.
Screenshot 2022-02-21 133831.jpg

As you see the top bearing (3rd in from right) is smaller than the bottom bearing (2nd in from left).
Hope this helps
1645451379541.png
(y)

thumbnail (4).jpg

Last edited:

MickS

Sep 10, 2020
Poland
This happened to my Stilus today:

1648426717321.png

It was a normal ride as usual in a local forest. I'm not a shredder (no drops, big jumps etc.) and I'm only 67kg, I don't even know when this exactly happened, I only noticed the failure after getting back. I've already raised a warranty claim / support ticket. This thin wall of the bolt head looks to me like a weak spot. Has it happened to anyone else? I wonder how long will it take to handle the repair. I've asked for replacement part, but as far as I can see, unlike for some other bikes (i.e. RR XC900S), the rear triangle pivot parts are not available in the store. I think I've seen a post here on this forum (most probably in the Stilus mega-thread) about stripping the hex socket in the other bolt, I'm curious how Decathlon will resolve this issue.
Damn!

Tallguy888

Aug 4, 2020
Salisbury

View attachment 84828
It was a normal ride as usual in a local forest. I'm not a shredder (no drops, big jumps etc.) and I'm only 67kg, I don't even know when this exactly happened, I only noticed the failure after getting back. I've already raised a warranty claim / support ticket. This thin wall of the bolt head looks to me like a weak spot. Has it happened to anyone else? I wonder how long will it take to handle the repair. I've asked for replacement part, but as far as I can see, unlike for some other bikes (i.e. RR XC900S), the rear triangle pivot parts are not available in the store. I think I've seen a post here on this forum (most probably in the Stilus mega-thread) about stripping the hex socket in the other bolt, I'm curious how Decathlon will resolve this issue.
Damn!
I’m not sure if it’s much help but these frames are made by Lombardo so if Decathlon can help you could try contacting them, it’s a generic frame used in lots of different spec bikes.

MickS

Sep 10, 2020
Poland
Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations for brake pads replacement? So many to choose from and I am not familiar
EBC Brakes model CFA616HH (sintered / metallic) will do the job and can be found for the half price of original SRAM metallic pads.
The only disadvantage is howling when they are wet (but afaik it happens with all metallic pads).

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
The only disadvantage is howling when they are wet (but afaik it happens with all metallic pads).

Been using the OEM SRAM Sintered pads since new. Still on my second pair after 1300km of Highlands. Amazed at how long they last, completely quiet and grippy A.F. One-fingered braking dropping across my local reds and blacks around Dunkeld, average rides are 50km with 1000-1300m descending. Just spend the £25 per pair and be done :cool:

christos.stav

Aug 19, 2022
Sweden
Thanks! I willgo for the SRAM original ones then :)

Been using the OEM SRAM Sintered pads since new. Still on my second pair after 1300km of Highlands. Amazed at how long they last, completely quiet and grippy A.F. One-fingered braking dropping across my local reds and blacks around Dunkeld, average rides are 50km with 1000-1300m descending. Just spend the £25 per pair and be done :cool:

kozi

Aug 30, 2023
Poland

View attachment 84828
Damn!
Have you solved the problem? Because I have the same.

MickS

Sep 10, 2020
Poland
Have you solved the problem? Because I have the same.
Hey, you are in much better situation now, that's because there are replacement parts available at Decathlon now (search for product code 8765250 at their webstore). Definitely not cheap, but it is "plug and play" replacement.

As for me, I did not have that luxury to just buy this replacement kit (they started to sell it few months ago), so I had to solve the problem in other way. I did that by designing something I thought will be a temporary fix (until the replacement parts will be available). But it turned out to be IMO actually even better than the original (at least in terms of reliability).

If you are still interested what I did then:

I've carefully measured the original bolts / axles and designed slightly different solution (for both the main pivot at the chainstays and the rocker link, because I was afraid that it will fail, too). First of all, I ordered 2 steel axles to be made on lathe by the local guy (that specializes in engine repairs, but he had some spare time to help me out). These both are 14.95 mm in diameter, both have M10x1.5 threaded holes on both ends, one is 67.50 mm in length, the other is 69.50 mm in length (but I don't remember right now which one goes as the main pivot axle and which as the rocker link axle). Then there are 4 M10x1.5 countersunk (conical head) screws (also steel) with torx sockets (25 mm thread length) that go into a standard M10 conical washers (stainless steel), that happen to be exactly the same diameter (28.00 mm) as the 6902 bearing to serve as the covers for the bearings. That screw pushes the bearing via this conical washer and another extra washer being 0.50 mm thick. That 0.50 mm washer serves as the support for the inner race of the bearing and allows the outer race to move freely not touching the conical washer.

A picture is worth a thousand words. This picture below shows the "exploded view" of one side of the axle (the other side is exactly the same):
1693698672467.png

Please, be aware that this was supposed to be a temporary fix, so I don't recommend fixing it like that (especially if you have replacement parts from the manufacturer). There are some potential issues with my solution and you might lose your warranty using it. I didn't have the choice, and my warranty is already gone anyway.

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
Adding a spider: the OEM one-peice FSA rings appear to be non-boost. Adding a Boost spider puts the chainline about mid-cassette, as you’d expect.

As the Stilus hub is definitely Boost, why wouldn’t they have spec’d a Boost chainring?

Anyone done this? Any issues? Photo shows OEM ring on right, Bosch Boost spider + SRAM ring on left
IMG_8480.jpeg
IMG_8478.jpeg

Last edited:

kriz

Jun 29, 2020
Rochdale, UK
I must have overtightened the rear through axle bolt. I can unscrew the bolt from the threaded insert (removed). But the axle refuses to budge. Has anyone had this issue? Do we know the specs for a replacement? I may have to cut it out.

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
Just replaced all the pivot bearings (with Enduro MAX bearings). Everything feels real smooth - except when I do up the main pivot to 17Nm, it feels noticeably tight. Yes, both spacers are correctly in place. Anyone else found this?

IMG_9118.jpeg IMG_9115.jpeg IMG_9113.jpeg IMG_9111.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles