Article 2020 Cube Stereo 140 First Ride Review

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Looks incredible I’m gonna check out the 160mm.

Why is everything under 160mm going 29er though?

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It’s clear that the Gen 4 cx is not the quietest of motors but is it actually quieter than the one it is replacing. I would worry if the new one was actually noisier.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
One of the other bikes reviewed with the new Bosch also mentioned it’s noisy when descending, some gear in the motor if I remember rightly.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
my wife got last years CX permanence line battery and Bosch motor in here Sting and that is very silent. So not sure why the new one is noisy probably firmware.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Nice spec for the price but I really don't like or see the point of the "Haibike Hunch" on the top tube.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
Nice spec for the price but I really don't like or see the point of the "Haibike Hunch" on the top tube.

That hunch is there so the fork crown clears the frame when turning. The other option (see Trek or Spesh) is a limit to the turning circle via a stopper.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
New #8
I was about to be more rude about it.
That hunch is there so the fork crown clears the frame when turning. The other option (see Trek or Spesh) is a limit to the turning circle via a stopper.
Does anyone actually use that much turning circle, when riding? (crashing is different matter, maybe)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It still looks like an unnessessary design flair rather than functional.

Last year's bike hasn't got the hunch, does it have a knock block?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have the 2019 model and the motor is way quieter than the one in this video :unsure:

I’ve ridden four 2018 and 2019 reaction hybrid pro 500s and hardly noticed any noise at all, but I agree with you that in all the videos I’ve seen of the new Gen 4 motor the whine is very noticeable. It could be that the camera microphones are extra sensitive to that particular frequency and in reality it might not be that noisy at all. Will be interesting to see more reviews when they come out.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
After further research it appears that the Gen 4 motor is not in fact noisier than the older version it’s just a slightly higher pitched whine. On a new Focus bike review it seemed absolutely fine to me.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
not in fact noisier than the older version it’s just a slightly higher pitched whine

I had a girlfriend like that ..

It's difficult with the video's, you don't know what the camera(mike) is picking up compared to real life. Like some slight breeze can sound like a hurricane.

Ultimately, it's an electric bike .. it looks like an electric bike .. does it really matter if when you're riding it it sounds like an old remote controlled car ? No one else can hear it.

Being in the transition phase from E8000 to Brose. Whilst I thought I'd tuned out the E8000 sound after 1500km's, when I rode the brose I found it quite disconcerting that I couldn't hear the motor working, so obviously I was using the sound as an aide.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I had a girlfriend like that ..

It's difficult with the video's, you don't know what the camera(mike) is picking up compared to real life. Like some slight breeze can sound like a hurricane.

Ultimately, it's an electric bike .. it looks like an electric bike .. does it really matter if when you're riding it it sounds like an old remote controlled car ? No one else can hear it.

Being in the transition phase from E8000 to Brose. Whilst I thought I'd tuned out the E8000 sound after 1500km's, when I rode the brose I found it quite disconcerting that I couldn't hear the motor working, so obviously I was using the sound as an aide.

Interesting. I’m finding it so difficult deciding whether to get a heavily discounted 2019 hardtail with old cx motor with 500wh semi integrated battery or a much more expensive 2020 gen 4 hardtail with 625wh fully integrated battery. We are talking £1000 difference in price. What’s your opinion?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd go for the new one and try to get a bit of discount.

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
That cube is definitely on my shortlist of 2 ? I tested last years model a couple of months ago and was really impressed. I'm wanting a 29er anyway so this ticks all the boxes, longer reach and shorter chainstays than last year, carbon front triangle and a bigger battery , so much different that it's worth getting ???

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
I'm 6'6" and thought last years bike was a bit short, this year's has bigger wheels and a longer reach ? I'm sure it's something you get used to, after riding last year's for 3 hrs I wasn't that bothered ?

Sonve

Aug 22, 2019
Norway
I´m 190cm (6´2.8") and find it har to decide which size i am going for... 20" vs 22"? Would it still be playfull if i go for a 22"? or are the 20" the right size for me?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles