2020 Cube Hybrid Pro Headset bearings

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I have a Cube Reaction Pro Hybrid Pro hardtail and want to replace the headset bearing which are pretty bad.

I am trying to source new headset bearings as the existing but nobody seems to know what they are and are asking
for a bearing code. The only ref I have is FSA Orbit 5BZS 1 1/2" (o/d 56mm).

Has anyone sourced / replaced them ? G.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I know nothing of your bike but I had an Orbit 1.5ZS headset on my Whyte 905 and the lower bearing is an MR110 {073-RS}. Had to put new bearings in after 6 months - £25. They failed again as the seal is rubbish so in went a complete Hope lower headset. - £35. Excellent seals still going strong after 2.5 Years. O/d 56mm is the outside diameter of the headset cup by the way. Best bet, I reckon, is to take the bike to your LBS and get them to order the right one and install the thing.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Hi Kenny
That does sound like the correct bearing and the same one Chain Reaction gave me when I asked them before I posted.
That is a sealed bearing and mine is a cage. Do you know if I can that fit that in the original races or do they have to be changed to fit a sealed bearing ?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
If you have a cage holding ball bearings then I really can't see it working, I'd also be really surprised that any bike company would use it. I'd definitely go Hope. My 905 has Hope headset, BB, jockey wheels and rear hub. No regrets.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Giff,
Thinking a bit more this, if a cartridge bearing was to come completely apart you would have a kind of cage with very small balls, as well as the outer "casings" and plastic shields. The right cartridge bearing should then work once you clean it all up. I'd still go for Hope though.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Giff,
Thinking a bit more this, if a cartridge bearing was to come completely apart you would have a kind of cage with very small balls, as well as the outer "casings" and plastic shields. The right cartridge bearing should then work once you clean it all up. I'd still go for Hope though.
Thanks Kenny for your advice on this.
At weekend I noticed rust streaks on my frame and when I released the forks the bottom bearing was in pieces and very rusty.
I called a local, and really helpful LBS who said he hadn’t got a bearing the right size but suggested I put loose ones in that he did have. (he measures on of the original bb’s)
That has worked so far with one originsl bearing and one loose but it will be a pain to service as they all fall out, and little waterproofing.
I think I will go down the new Hope headset route as you suggest and think I could fit it if I got the right part?
G.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
its a 5/32 caged bearing. I ordered new balls for mine. The cage is fine, but one of the balls had broken in half and some look like ready to go (dark matt grey instead of shiney)

But I dont know how many barings. I'll see if I can check. I think the top one is 5/32x20 balls and is fairly easy to get.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Giff,
I think I got Hope Part No HSCE. No guarantee though!
Giff,
Giff,
Giff,
Hi Kenny
I've asked my Bike Shop, where I bought the bike, to get me a Hope headset.....they are fitting it later this week so thanks again. G.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Hi Kenny
I've asked my Bike Shop, where I bought the bike, to get me a Hope headset.....they are fitting it later this week so thanks again. G.
Good plan, give the responsibility to them. Are you getting just the bottom cup or a whole headset? Whole headset comes with a Head Doctor which is a nice but of kit and, importantly, has Hope printed on the top cap.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Good plan, give the responsibility to them. Are you getting just the bottom cup or a whole headset? Whole headset comes with a Head Doctor which is a nice but of kit and, importantly, has Hope printed on the top cap.
Yes I think the whole set. I have said top and bottom bearings so I think it’s complete.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks Kingfisher
I got my Bike Shop, where I bought the bike, to fit a new headset with sealed bearings as at the moment I ride in mud a lot the time and I couldn't see the replacements lasting long as there aren't any seals to the exposed bearings.
They fitted a Hope set top and a Maddison bottom as they said there wasn't a complete,
IMG_0324.JPG
comparable Hope set.

IMG_0325.JPG

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Rocket tool to get the cups out and a press to get the new ones in. If you buy the bits from then they might do it free, only a 10 min job.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles