2019 VR Battery cutting out completely after small drop

Tpyo

Jan 23, 2019
Essex UK
Anyone had any experience of the battery cutting out on an e-Sommet VR. Mine is completely loosing all power after a small bump, display as well. I have to stop and turn it on at the battery and it restarts as if nothing’s wrong. Ride along the trail, small drop and nothing.
I’ve checked the battery is secure and there’s no movement at all, in fact it takes a firm shove to get it in or our. I’ve had the side cover off and checked the drive connection plug.
CRC have authorised me to go to a Shimano centre for £30 worth of diagnostics but they can’t see me until next week.
Any tips gratefully received as it’s a fair bit of driving to get to nearest Shimano shop. Also my clockwork buddies are making merry at my expense (rightly so I’m afraid)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
sounds like a loose battery.
adjust the top housing.
They often come really loose from new

it's easy to adjust but search here for info if struggling

Tpyo

Jan 23, 2019
Essex UK
Thanks Gary, I was certain that the battery didn’t move but then found a video in one of the threads that showed how to check for movement. Had a check and the battery moved up and down. 10 minutes with the Allen keys and it’s snug as a bug. Time will tell but a quick bounce round the local fields didn’t cause it to drop out. Battery locks in a lot smoother now as well.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I had the on my 2018 version, the bolts that tighten the mounting in place have a non threaded section that meant even when tight, the battery moved on big hits. I added a fibre washer to mine & haven’t had an issue again

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I used a medium Loctite on the battery clamp bolts. Just remember Loctite is basically a glue so needs time to cure. I've had 8 months and it's still fine. Personally I also used Loctite on the Wheel sensor magnet screw/clamp in addition to the normal places on a normal bike.

I've come across it on the trail when some random guy who said his Merida kept cutting out, he'd even had it back to the shop etc.. anyway 2 mins with some allen keys and he was bunny hopping around chuffed it wasn't cutting out anymore :0 )

So yeah it's a very common issue.. surprised CRC didn't tell you to check.

When its on properly its quite a tight fit and it rotates into position.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles