Article 2019 Vitus E-Sommet VR Review

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Considering the bad stuff maybe a little optimistic overall rate.
More a 4 * than a 4.5 ...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Considering the bad stuff maybe a little optimistic overall rate.
More a 4 * than a 4.5 ...
Taking into account the value and how good the bike actually is its a 4.5 for me :)
Many folks will have zero issues with the delivery etc. The only thing I think lets the bike down is that crappy build up area of dirt. But we have to take into account expectations too. If the bike was £6k I'd expect that stuff to be sorted. But we're talking £3.8K which is one of the 'cheapest' sorted enduro bikes that you can buy.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Very fair review Rob - I had no issues with either of mine when delivered, and IIRC I don’t honk anyone did last year, but with the 2019 model there have been a few members with bad experiences of the packaging and handling of the bike during delivery.

I have never found the space above the motor to be an issue, as when you clean the bike a quick hose in there will flush any crap out - for me the main issue with the design of the frame at that point is it makes it hard to clean the shock.

What you are getting with the E- Sommett is a bike where all the money and development has gone into a top spec and outstanding platform, with looks and integration an afterthought.

Having now had the chance to ride many other bikes, I like the approach as far too many bikes that go down the integration route have sacrificed good weight placement and function in order to hide the battery and motor - really only Specialized with the 2019 Levo, of the bikes I have tried, have pulled off the integration of the battery without sacrificing the dynamics of the bike successfully, whilst still being able to easily remove the battery.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
You can get the bike cheaper if you have a platinum account at Wiggle if not you can buy £500 worth of stuff to get a platinum account then get the bike for £3350. So £3850 including £500 of extra stuff for just £50.

My first bike was damaged in transit but Wiggle replaced it however they really need to sort out their packaging/delivery but ultimately most of the other issues are common with direct sales. Possibly just compare to other direct to customer bikes as your reviews build up?

I agree with R120 the crud build up in the shock area, despite my initial concerns it isn't an issue really, the worst part is access to the shock and cable management.

I think direct sales bikes are not for everyone and for people without the knowledge to maintain their own bike then direct sales are not advisable unless you have an accommodating LBS.

This leads into the next point in that the Battery isn't proprietary and so a spares are readily available with a possible longer availability cycle, also they are small enough to fit in a normal large pack. The main thing though as R120 says, it's the weight positioning as integrated raises the centre of mass and dependant on the design puts a Li Ion battery in the firing line.

As a diehard Fox fanboy I must say the Rockshox Fork and Shock are outstanding.

It's a difficult one to score as it's really down to the individual situation wrt direct sales and this bike could easily get a 3-5 range from different people.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Pro's:
*The Vitus Esommet VR 2019 is a very good platform of an ebike to build on,only able to purchase as a complete bike.
*I swapped out the Sram Guide brakes for Shimano Saints using a larger "Galfer 223mm" rotor on the front for excellent stopping power
which many people have problems, I have an Ice tech Rotor 203mm rotor on the rear both ends using finned pads, got plenty of stopping
power now.
*I installed the "MRP ramp control device" on the left side fork which does away with the need for using slide on tokens so now you can
ramp up the progressiveness of your forks so easily on the fly to suit riding.
*The RockShox Lyric Charger 2 RC2 "Boost" forks and RockShox Super Delux RC3 205x62.5 DebonAir rear shock have been great to work with
and I was very surprised how very good they were having run Fox set-up on other bikes and been used to their plushness I did have an
issue problem with front stanchion suction which lost me 20 mm of travel on the front but easily remedied with releasing air from fork
completely and the equalising negative air pressure whilst increasing air slowly in fork to desired spec.

*The frame is well balance and great to ride and is big for it's sizing, in my case I'm 5'7" and have a medium so did some tweeking and
and installed short 30mm Renthal Bar stem. Brand X Dropper is good value but swapped the lever over to a Wolfstooth.
*Esteps 8000 is a good motor and does what it says on the tin if a bit noisy, the battery gives good out put for 504wh motor with 70nm
gives a good day out if using eco and trail mode and an excellent 3hrs on constant Boost to do the equivalent of uplifts dependant on trails for the down-hilly bits.

Cons:
*Having to purchase the bike as complete outfit whereas a frame only option would be good.
*As many have already said the area at the bottom of the shock is open and is a magnet for dirt and debris so cleaning is a must.
*The bottom bash-guard can only be described as "shit" cheap plastic effort...gone through three already and wish someone would come up
with a sturdier option, did try the Rockguardz carbon version they make but just didn't seem to suit what I wanted so sent it back but
I'd like to say before I get walloped those guys make some great stuff which I have on other bikes. What is needed is a good solid skid
plate for those rocky experiences and able to take a good smack without falling to pieces and to properly protect the motor.
*The motor is restricted to 25kmph and you may find out when on DH trails you will hit the treacle if pedalling over the limit but you
can actually go faster freewheeling so if you want to get enough speed up to do those really big jumps getting a de-restriction chip
may be the way, other than that you don't really need the extra kmph's anywhere else.
*I found the WTB Light rims on the wheels perhaps to be a bit suss and soft as I have trashed the rear wheel due to heavy riding and
will need to replace soon.
*Having to deal with Wiggle as the retailer on some warranty issues has been a nightmare so far so beware if you like to ride hard and
things don't take kindly to it, getting a warranty replacement is a nightmare.

Conclusion:
Very good ebike with fantastic geometry,balance and equipment for the money and ready to ride straight away...but as it is purchased as a complete bike any issues you may have could be a long process to get fixed. I recommend upgrading your brakes to something more powerful if you intend to thrash it and the 223mm Galfer Rotor is great for the front (no I don't get paid to advertise), also perhaps a new lever on the dropper as the BrandX is not very good.
My score: a good 7/10

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles