2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Can anyone tell me if the shifter cable uses a single cable housing from levers to derailleur? I need to replace the shifter and fear having to thread the new cable through multiple lengths of housing.

I tried tugging on each end of the housing to see if the other end moved, but none of it moves when tugged.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
It is one housing from one end to the other.

EF7EFF6C-40DA-4E4E-A5BA-A02D5E949535.jpeg

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
The answer is that you set the 3 modes and try them....change them up or down as required. Battery drain is dependant onbhow much current is demanded from it. The motor responds with varying levels of assistance dependsnt on how much torque you apply through the cranks and your cadence.....moderated by the pedal assist and max power settings on each mode. The most efficient use of the motor/ battery is at a cadence of 70/80. In any mode the motor is able to deliver 4 times your torque input unless you reduce the max power on the setting less than 100%. The pedal assist effectively determines how easy it is to access the motor power. For example 50% pedal assist means you can readilly access 2 times your input. 25% equates to doubling your input. I think most set their ECO to about 15% pedal assist with a max power of 35%. That means it is easy to get c half your input as additional power from the motor and regardless how much torque you apply to the cranks you will not get more than about 1.2 times your input as assistance.

Thanks, your comments combined with a specialized presentation I found online, I *think* I get it.... so Support equates to how much effort I need to put in to get corresponding output on the crank, kind of like a 'sensitivity' setting, while Max Power is really the multiplier number of how much my effort is amplified? If that is accurate, Support is like the Sport setting in my M3, which really only remaps the accelerator so that smaller changes in accelerator position equate to bigger movements in throttle.

My guess is the shop had varying 'support' modes but maybe 100% power across the board?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well, wife's got a Std Levo and I have the Comp that we've had for about a month. I'm 69 and used to ride 25 years ago and wife's never been on an MTB. Boy, I'm glad that I didn't find this blog until after I purchased our bikes. We love our bikes! Only thing that pisses me off is the fact that there was a pivot gap problem that was noted almost a year ago. My Comp was built in January and Wife's was built in April, she has all the fixes. It's BS that Specialized shipped my bike with a known issue, and it's up to me and my dealer to fix it. Oh well, Honestly, I love the bike and I'm considering a S tattoo, just kidding. View attachment 16202
Honestly its no big deal. The rellacement lever arm just gives a little more clearance between kt and the seat tube....but if ylh fit a rear mudvuard it stols any stlnes etc getting anywhere near the pivot arm and at the same time it shields all the pivot bearings from debris thrown kff the rear tyre. My comp has the original pivot arm and the lbs will change it when I take the bike in for its service...meanwhile its not an issue.. in fact without a mudguard I dont see how a few mm additional clearance will make any difference at all.

Drondon

May 25, 2019
California
Can anyone tell me if the shifter cable uses a single cable housing from levers to derailleur? I need to replace the shifter and fear having to thread the new cable through multiple lengths of housing.

I tried tugging on each end of the housing to see if the other end moved, but none of it moves when tugged.
A new cable will slide thru with no problems if housing is in good condition

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No
Thanks, your comments combined with a specialized presentation I found online, I *think* I get it.... so Support equates to how much effort I need to put in to get corresponding output on the crank, kind of like a 'sensitivity' setting, while Max Power is really the multiplier number of how much my effort is amplified? If that is accurate, Support is like the Sport setting in my M3, which really only remaps the accelerator so that smaller changes in accelerator position equate to bigger movements in throttle.

My guess is the shop had varying 'support' modes but maybe 100% power across the board?
...not quite. Mac poeer determines the max current draw from the battery and therefore the max motor power available. At 100% that equates to a delivery of 4.1 times the torque you input through the cranks. Pedal assist essentially reduces the amount of torque you have to input to get motor assist levels as determined in the settings. If all 3 modes were set at 100% max power...meaning the full 4.1 times motor assist is available.....pedal assist set on turbo at 100% would be twice as easy to access max power in terms of the effort you provide, than 50% pedal assist set on the trail mode. So you play with the 3 settings to suit your riding. I use eco set at 15/35 for level trails and fireroads and downhill runs, trail set at 50/100 for up and down singletrack and most climbing. Turbo set at 100/100 is reserved for very steep and technical ascents provided grip levels are reasonable...max power reduced to 60% for loose or muddy surface. Most of my riding is downhill singletrack through forest...which of course means climbing back up again each time. So I mostly use eco downhill and trail uphill and only occasionally boost. There is little point spending the extra money on an e mtb unless you are going to use it!

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I just purchased a 2019 and display shows 19.B.O display. Do I need to take it to dealer? What would be the difference in function?

H @Jeb - I'll outline the rider-facing changes below, but the simple answer is that this was quite a minor update and probably not worth specifically going back to the retailer for. I'd ask them to do it for you at the next annual/interval/suspension service perhaps?
  • General stability improvements
  • After the update, the current wheel size will be preserved instead of being reset to 2300mm
  • Resolved a bug where the TCU would send incorrect max. speed and distance to be displayed on TCD (optional external Specialized display)
  • Error LED for internal TCU CR2016 battery low: third battery from the bottom will flash together with top LED Red for 60s at start up
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Jeb

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
H @Jeb - I'll outline the rider-facing changes below, but the simple answer is that this was quite a minor update and probably not worth specifically going back to the retailer for. I'd ask them to do it for you at the next annual/interval/suspension service perhaps?
  • General stability improvements
  • After the update, the current wheel size will be preserved instead of being reset to 2300mm
  • Resolved a bug where the TCU would send incorrect max. speed and distance to be displayed on TCD (optional external Specialized display)
  • Error LED for internal TCU CR2016 battery low: third battery from the bottom will flash together with top LED Red for 60s at start up
Hope that helps.
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. Another question regarding my medium size turbo levo comp. At the lowest install position the 150mm xfusion seatpost is a little high for my comfort (dropper at full extension), my dealer has had difficulty sourcing the shorter 125mm size. Do you know if these xfusion manic posts are only available OEM? Also, if I have to go with another dropper, can you tell me the maximum length that will fit in the tube. Thanks

Last edited:

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
After searching all LBS around Denver I finally found a small frame basic model (March production) for my wife with upgraded 4 bolt cover, rear pivot and motor protection mods. Parking lot demo was fine but the stock seatpost was too high so ordered a 100mm xfusion dropper which arrived yesterday (answering my previous post question). Tuned the shocks and tested the new dropper, paired the bike to command center, all good until the final parking lot test... Dreaded Red/Blue flashing lights on TCU! ?”No motor found” error. Tech completed factory reboot, swapped out TCU and Battery to no avail! Ordered a replacement motor, ?. Had hope that with this later production date all bugs had been worked out, apparently not. My April production comp has been PERFECT.?that Wife’s will be same. Wish us luck.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
After searching all LBS around Denver I finally found a small frame basic model (March production) for my wife with upgraded 4 bolt cover, rear pivot and motor protection mods. Parking lot demo was fine but the stock seatpost was too high so ordered a 100mm xfusion dropper which arrived yesterday (answering my previous post question). Tuned the shocks and tested the new dropper, paired the bike to command center, all good until the final parking lot test... Dreaded Red/Blue flashing lights on TCU! ?”No motor found” error. Tech completed factory reboot, swapped out TCU and Battery to no avail! Ordered a replacement motor, ?. Had hope that with this later production date all bugs had been worked out, apparently not. My April production comp has been PERFECT.?that Wife’s will be same. Wish us luck.

shame to hear.

it's plausible they're running out stock so getting to the back of the warehouse. stock management wouldn't necessarily be first in first out. yeah that would be logical but we don't live in that world.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Aye, good thought, I’ll suggest they order the wiring harness as well!
Probably just needs cleaning.....there are no endemic faults with the cable. Im saying the lbs could probably fix it and avoid the wait.

Tom C

Jul 23, 2019
AZ
I’ll be purchasing a Levo soon. Is there any difference with perceived weight between the 500wh and 700wh battery? If so, is the 700wh battery worth the extra weight?

Reactions: CjP

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
Actual weight difference is 750g. Perceived difference is subjective.

If you're out doing epic rides, or you want the bike to do most of the work, you probably need 700wH.

3 hours razzing around your local riding area, with enough effort to come back tired? I find 500wH plenty.
Agree. My usual 16-18 mile single track aprox 1000’ gain, I return with 40% reserve on 500wH.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Tom check out my post above. Would highly recommend you rent one if you are able to. I had similar experience as Jeb. I was trying to get a workout and using power to take edge off hard parts of the ride. I came home with 80% on a 500wh.

Tom C

Jul 23, 2019
AZ
Tom check out my post above. Would highly recommend you rent one if you are able to. I had similar experience as Jeb. I was trying to get a workout and using power to take edge off hard parts of the ride. I came home with 80% on a 500wh.
Thanks for the comments everyone, I think I’ll rent one this Monday and see how it goes.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Picked up my Levo today. All good.

Mission Control asked me for a code for Bluetooth pairing with the bike. I'd read this is on a sticker under the top tube, starting BLE then 6 digits.

There's no such number in my frame's sticker collection. The alternative is to take the T10 Torx from the top of the TCU, lift it up gently from the steerer end and it's on a sticker on the side of the revealed unit. This code paired immediately.

Took me a while to find a T10, I think the one I have came with a Reverb bleed kit.

HTH.

Screenshot 2019-07-26 at 22.32.13.png

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
Update: Only 3 day turnover to find and replace a crimped speed sensor cable. Guessing was damaged at build. All good we are riding together with these amazing machines!?

Last edited:

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Can you text me the number. cheers
The Bluetooth pairing code is unique to each TCU, see post #1,699. If that sticker is missing, the code is also laser etched onto the underside of TCU, below Made in China, look for P/S: followed by 6 digit number -- that 6 digit number is the Bluetooth pairing code.

Last edited:

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Picked up my Levo Comp today and took it straight up to the local unofficial quarry bike park. It’s honestly astounding how good these things are. I had a few issues with the dropper not lifting but flipping the bike upside down and cycling the post seems to have helped (read about it on t’interweb). Now I’m just really looking forward to tomorrow so I can get back out on it again ???.

83614C33-56AB-4954-8811-2AEED054FD5C.jpeg

9D870218-1383-4663-9F19-DBE663859D74.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles