Jul 9, 2018
Uk

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Im just looking into that now. For me with that shock is getting a strong enough spring

Fitted this the week before Christmas. However....... got a call from TF tuned saying..... Cane Creek have been in touch with them and have said that they do not recommend that you put a DB IL Coil on your 2019 Levo or 2019 Stumpjumper as they are worried the shaft of the shock may snap near the rear eyelet due to the increased leverage force created by the yoke.

So..... I am sending the shock back to TF Tuned who are happy to give me a refund and we are working on 'other' possible options.

It is a real shame as I have been for 3 rides with the new coil shock on and compared to the standard air shock the new coil shock in my opinion is far superior especially on the terrain I ride :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

20190104_141151.jpg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
thanks for the heads up Chris let me know what you change to as after having a coil on my last bike there is no way i will be happy with the air shock
I wondered if the fox van from the 2019 kenevo entry level would fit!!!

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
thanks for the heads up Chris let me know what you change to as after having a coil on my last bike there is no way i will be happy with the air shock
I wondered if the fox van from the 2019 kenevo entry level would fit!!!
Hi Dave,
The eye to eye is different.
216x57 for the Fox Kenevo. Off Specialized website
210x52.5 for the 2019 Levo. Off Specialized website

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
yeah but I have a feeling they can be shortened the stroke can definitely be spaced to shorten it and that should, in turn, make the eye to eye shorter...I think!

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Fitted this the week before Christmas. However....... got a call from TF tuned saying..... Cane Creek have been in touch with them and have said that they do not recommend that you put a DB IL Coil on your 2019 Levo or 2019 Stumpjumper as they are worried the shaft of the shock may snap near the rear eyelet due to the increased leverage force created by the yoke.

So..... I am sending the shock back to TF Tuned who are happy to give me a refund and we are working on 'other' possible options.

It is a real shame as I have been for 3 rides with the new coil shock on and compared to the standard air shock the new coil shock in my opinion is far superior especially on the terrain I ride :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

View attachment 9353

Shame - looks nice too ??

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
I spoke I to TF tuned yesterday and have ordered an Öhlins TTX M22 series 14 metric for my 19 Levo. It’s the right size so should fit perfectly. I will ask them about ny sort of issues with stroke/shaft worries when it comes in. I have been disappointed with the stock air shock. Can’t believe they spec such a low end shock with a bike that retails for over 7k.

Having said that, I have been tweaking with it recently and today at bike park wales it did perform slightly better than before. It’s not bottoming out so much which is a good think.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I spoke I to TF tuned yesterday and have ordered an Öhlins TTX M22 series 14 metric for my 19 Levo. It’s the right size so should fit perfectly. I will ask them about ny sort of issues with stroke/shaft worries when it comes in. I have been disappointed with the stock air shock. Can’t believe they spec such a low end shock with a bike that retails for over 7k.

Having said that, I have been tweaking with it recently and today at bike park wales it did perform slightly better than before. It’s not bottoming out so much which is a good think.

I was having trouble setting up my suspension until I found the suspension calculator on the Specialized website. The base settings for me were really close.

Suspension Calculator App | Specialized.com

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
I used that calculator and still had to put in more pressure than it said, then I am jumping a lot on my bike. Forgot to say, today my rockguardz came off on the trail somewhere. Not happy at all considering it cost £65. Lost forever! I won’t be replacing it.

Last edited:

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Finally arrived today from my ( oversea's ) LBS ! Easy install and finally acceptable. I have now switched from my " Shit Lip " which performed perfectly to a adhesive inner tube strip as suggested on this forum for better aesthetics. View attachment 9303 View attachment 9304 View attachment 9305
Wait, what are we looking at here??? New 4 bolt cover? And this still requires a home mod to prevent any crud intake? I'm confused, what have you been shipped, by who and for what purpose?

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ

View attachment 9353
Hi there,
Looks like I may have the same issue, I've just fitted a CC also with a 550lb spring, running max hi speed rebound damping to keep the the bike from bucking on rough downhills.
Getting about 165mm travel, paired with 180mm Lyrik forks makes for a great ride.
Also a strip of PVC tape to keep the crap out of the motor housing as pictured, due for replacement.
Other changes include 160mm KTM cranks 155mm raised the cadence too much and outside the motors sweetspot.
SRAM EX1 8 Speed & CushCore inserts.
Rockguardz motor protector, which I've added an extra 2.5mm of glassfibre to the area under the motor as being Carbon I broke it second time out.
Painted dots in all fastenings to monitor any loosening, which is not infrequent.

I've been following your upgrades with much interest keep the coming.

All the best Andrew AKA Gyro.

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4002.jpg

Last edited:

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Hi there,
Looks like I may have the same issue, I've just fitted a CC also with a 550lb spring, running max hi speed rebound damping to keep the the bike from bucking on rough downhills.
Getting about 165mm travel, paired with 180mm Lyrik forks makes for a great ride.
Also a strip of PVC tape to keep the crsp out of the motor housing as pictured, due for replacement.
Other changes include 160mm KTM cranks 155mm raised the cadence too much and outside the motors sweetspot.
Rockguardz motor protector, which I've added an extra 2.5mm of glassfibre to the area under the motor as being Carbon I broke it second time out.
Painted dots in all fastenings to monitor any loosening, which is not infrequent.

View attachment 9394

View attachment 9395

Interesting that you have put a 180mm fork on the bike. I didn’t think it could take anything above 160mm? Would love to turn mine into a full on enduro bike with a longer fork.

Last edited:

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway

View attachment 9353
:eek:(n):poop: That is horrible to hear. Hope they will find a solution (Titanium shaft) or 17-4PH steel.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I think I have spotted the new fix at 37sec into this YouTube video.
View attachment 9427
I plastic film to cover the hole :unsure:

If you look very closely at any 2019 Levo you will find that the plastic film pictured is actually already fitted on your bike.

It just shows up more on the Matt coloured carbon frame of this Expert.

All it is, is some frame protection between the frame and the rear triangle as the gap between the two is very tight in this location ?

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Thanks Bend & Specialized Rider Care- the rubber washer also fell out of my bike when I took the battery out and I've been perplexed since trying to find where it came from!! worries are now over..
Regarding the mud build up from the back wheel- that does concern me. Are Specialized looking to provide a specific clip on guard?
Cheers

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi there,
Also a strip of PVC tape to keep the crap out of the motor housing as pictured, due for replacement.

View attachment 9394

View attachment 9395
Hi,
165mm travel in the rear? Don’t you have any collisions from tire or any other interfering parts?

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
Hi,
165mm travel in the rear? Don’t you have any collisions from tire or any other interfering parts?
Surprisingly not, about 1.5mm clearance between the yolk and seat tube on it's high position. Bottom bracket is about 20mm higher than stock, still catch it from time to time hence the rock guard.
Replied Gyro

davez

Jan 5, 2019
Germany
For the fun of it I just checked my 2018 Levo Comp carbon for dirt behind the plastic covers and it seems like it is far better designed than the 2019 model. This is after 500 km of riding in wet muddy forest and loose sand trails:

View attachment 7912

The 2019 is for sure a big step back design vice.

Karsten
I am really surprised how that could happen. They have a tremendous engineering team and one would expect them to both do computer simulations and real world tests with pre-series products. Specialized sells premium products at premium prices. And their main edge are the frames (because most other bike have much better components at lower prices). I am quite sure, that this will have an impact on their 2019 sales figures of the Levo. Is there any official information regarding this issue from Specialized?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I am really surprised how that could happen. They have a tremendous engineering team and one would expect them to both do computer simulations and real world tests with pre-series products. Specialized sells premium products at premium prices. And their main edge are the frames (because most other bike have much better components at lower prices). I am quite sure, that this will have an impact on their 2019 sales figures of the Levo. Is there any official information regarding this issue from Specialized?

Dear Davez, there has been many communication about this topic already. Check the Specialized Rider Care postings on the forum. You can check my post of yesterday as well. My LBS already sorted out the early 2019 issues for me and added the rubber flap on top of the sponge. I am really happy with the end result.

I guess everyone can make mistakes but it's important how you deal with them. In my case Specialized Rider Care contacted me via this forum even without me asking about it. I must admit as well that I was frustrated at first as I paid a huge amount of money for this bike and then had the test rider feeling but again it's sorted so I can't complain about these topics anymore. ;)

Robser

Jan 11, 2019
Switzerland
Dear Fellows,
I have a 19Levo Comp Carbon (the red one) with der Fox 34 Rhythm ebike fork. I want to replace this fork. What are you thinking aboute the lyrik rc2 160mm. Is this fork stiff enough or ist the Fox 36 ebike version necessary or recommendable? I mean, the Lyrik is cheaper and I‘d like to have 160mm travel.
I am 182cm and 95kg rider. Which offset do I need (51 oder 42mm)?
Thx a lot and ride on

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Lyric is more than man enough, you would have to be pushing it on pro level downhill courses to put it out of its comfort zone. EWS riders are putting it thought a lot more abuse that we ever will. I dont have a Levo but I have been running a 180mm Lyric RC 2 for 5 months no issue on my Vitus. Its a much burlier fork than the one you are running at the moment.

I also have a Fox Factory 36 on my other EMTB, normal version not E-Bike specific and that has no issues whatsoever.

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
Hallo to this forum ,
I am new here and have been following the forum with much interest and learning a lot from you all . Thank you . I have a 2019 turbo levo s-works since November , which I think is a great bike . My only concern at the moment is the motor muck fix , which is , in my opinion causing many people to doubt about the profesional way Specialized is going about solving this problem . I contacted Specialized Spain about the foam and the new 4 bolt motor covers . They replied that they are available and must be ordered by my retailer . Yesterday I went to my retailer and they handed over the foam ( do it yourself ! ) and they told me that Specialized does not consider it necessary to change the motor covers . I have written again to Specialized Spain asking for the motor covers .
I agree with several comments on this forum , that Specialized really should give out an official statement regarding this topic , which would solve the uncertainty that is very apparent .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles