2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I put a piece of scouring pad sponge in the gap between the swing arm and motor housing and fitted a a front mudhugger as others have, I also filled the motor casing gap with silicon grease.
My first 6 week service with 350 miles found 1 pine needle inside the motor casing, probably as the first few rides had no protection.
Simple precautions and no worries from my perspective
Is the mudhugger on the rear tire? Which one did you get? Just push the sponge in the gap? Did you also put a small sponge over the drain hole that is under the motor on the bottom of the bike also?

Another custom designed gap cover / dirt protection device... or really just some duct tape! But it works really well!
(I realize I need to clean the bike! Those sticky blobs are Deer poop!)

IMG_3810.JPG

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Is the mudhugger on the rear tire? Which one did you get? Just push the sponge in the gap? Did you also put a small sponge over the drain hole that is under the motor on the bottom of the bike also?
Large front mudhugger fitted to the rear, only a small mod of removing the lip and adding extra holes.
The sponge is jammed into the recess of the the cross member of the rear link adjacent to the tyre. I will add a pic tomorrow.

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
Wow, good work. What kind of material did you make that out of? Will that stop stuff from getting in the motor when the rear suspension is fully compressed like @Kiwi in Wales was refering to? How are you going to put a sponge in the gap withough taking the motor cover off? They are supposed to be replacing the motor covers also.
It's a piece I drew up with autodesk inventor & 3d printed.
Think I'll have a go at drawing up a cover like in post 1009 as that seems like the ultimate answer.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
For the fun of it I just checked my 2018 Levo Comp carbon for dirt behind the plastic covers and it seems like it is far better designed than the 2019 model. This is after 500 km of riding in wet muddy forest and loose sand trails:

IMG_0071.jpg

The 2019 is for sure a big step back design vice.

Karsten

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
For the fun of it I just checked my 2018 Levo Comp carbon for dirt behind the plastic covers and it seems like it is far better designed than the 2019 model. This is after 500 km of riding in wet muddy forest and loose sand trails:

View attachment 7912

The 2019 is for sure a big step back design vice.

Karsten

You must have a very clean forest ?

See below, This is 3 months in the Brechfa forest with my pre 2017 Levo before I used the MX foam fix on all the openings/holes. No issues with any ingress these days. The only thing that gets in is filtered muddy water which runs straight out of my sump hole ?

7AF7D154-0E56-44AA-98CD-C23BE3E450C9.jpeg
2990C5FB-7820-4B4A-A9F2-A78D874FD432.jpeg
2881EFA4-A306-4637-A435-A917B604DDAA.jpeg
E93C5E39-766E-4F5C-8C0D-8A8E1F110520.png
3F5CBF01-9F32-4B60-A35A-BD49F73F592B.png
0D4E1298-35CB-4400-8547-4A54E96C6553.png
26338CD8-57D2-455F-908B-41EC732DB16C.png
5EA3DEDB-3EB1-439D-8EB5-D72E422FA681.png

E0388A1A-98F1-4D7A-A1ED-8D6363F7AA7D.png

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
You must have a very clean forest ?

See below, This is 3 months in the Brechfa forest with my pre 2017 Levo before I used the MX foam fix on all the openings/holes. No issues with any ingress these days. The only thing that gets in is filtered muddy water which runs straight out of my sump hole ?

View attachment 7913 View attachment 7914 View attachment 7915 View attachment 7916 View attachment 7917 View attachment 7918 View attachment 7919 View attachment 7921

View attachment 7920
WoW!

Trust me, our forest is no less muddier/wet/needles than yours - Yours is a Alu frame right?

Mine is a Carbon and all the covers are very very tight on the motor compartment, only place where any type of dirt can get in is via the drain hole at the bottom - Could there be differences between the Alu and Carbon frame?

Karsten

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
The 2019 Levo may be flawed on the dirt, leaves and mud ingress front but my slightly modified #1009 fix works a treat?.
My specific mod to the #1009 fix was to make the bottom half of the flap 5mm wider on each side which in my testing makes for a much better seal.

I used an old DH tube for my material. It is around 1.5mm thick. Feel free to use something thinner if you so wish. Make sure you clean the rubber thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol before fitting the double sided tape to it.
Removing the swingarm makes it a lot easier to fit too.

Yes, I know it should have been picked up by the design/testing team...... ?
There will also be some out there that do not have the time or the skill set to do what I have done and will quite rightly expect Specialized or an LBS to do the work which is fair enough because it is a valid issue.

However, ‘it is what it is’ this fix works for me so I am a happy chappy ?

If you get a chance ride a 2019
Compared to the 2017 and 2018 models I can assure you that the 2019 will not disappoint you.

DDCAF2B3-4DFA-48AB-B8C3-5E6CB662AF92.jpeg

AC75870A-9159-4A33-B715-628D7F72F051.jpeg

43EA6C3D-492A-4CD5-929A-DA0D82AFDAED.jpeg

Please note and see the photo below
I cut the DH tube so it had a natural bend in it as it attaches to the frame more securely as the part of the frame you attach it to is also curved. The sellotape is purely for display purposes as I couldn’t get it to sit the way I wanted it to ?

9144C542-9C50-4545-8CB1-9377C3C81AE1.jpeg

6DE0FFB5-C5DA-40E6-BC4C-D77F68BE67DD.jpeg

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
WoW!

Trust me, our forest is no less muddier/wet/needles than yours - Yours is a Alu frame right?

Mine is a Carbon and all the covers are very very tight on the motor compartment, only place where any type of dirt can get in is via the drain hole at the bottom - Could there be differences between the Alu and Carbon frame?

Karsten
For sure Karsten, they are different, there is a 2cm x 2cm hole at the back which is where all the muck got in. You can sort of guess where the hole is because that is where loads of the dirt ‘build up’ is

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
The 2019 Levo may be flawed on the dirt, leaves and mud ingress front but my slightly modified #1009 fix works a treat?.
My specific mod to the #1009 fix was to make the bottom half of the flap 5mm wider on each side which in my testing makes for a much better seal.

I used an old DH tube for my material. It is around 1.5mm thick. Feel free to use something thinner if you so wish. Make sure you clean the rubber thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol before fitting the double sided tape to it.
Removing the swingarm makes it a lot easier to fit too.

Yes, I know it should have been picked up by the design/testing team...... ?
There will also be some out there that do not have the time or the skill set to do what I have done and will quite rightly expect Specialized or an LBS to do the work which is fair enough because it is a valid issue.

However, ‘it is what it is’ this fix works for me so I am a happy chappy ?

If you get a chance ride a 2019
Compared to the 2017 and 2018 models I can assure you that the 2019 will not disappoint you.

View attachment 7933
View attachment 7934
View attachment 7935

Please note and see the photo below
I cut the DH tube so it had a natural bend in it as it attaches to the frame more securely as the part of the frame you attach it to is also curved. The sellotape is purely for display purposes as I couldn’t get it to sit the way I wanted it to ?

View attachment 7936

View attachment 7937

That’s one of the most helpful posts that I have seen in a long time here and the sole reason why I’m here!!

Karsten

ItalianJob

Aug 29, 2018
Venice
beautiful sticker whee did you get it?How have you removed the with one?
an Italian company produces them, this is their website:

Specialized Turbo Levo FSR 2019 - kit adesivi telaio

they create the graphics as you want.

I'm sorry but I did not understand what it means:
How have you removed the with one?
all the stickers cover the original graphics, I can remove them whenever I want. the bigger one also protects the frame

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Karsten - give me a few days on the Levo HT. Will find out. With regards IP rating, the Brose Drive S Mag is rated at IP56 (see Find out more about our Drive S Mag for mountain bikes). The IP rating system isn't hugely intuitive, but Wikipedia is directionally helpful IP Code - Wikipedia.

Dear @Specialized Rider Care

Is there an update on a similar solution regarding the big hole directly into the motor compartment on the 2019 Turbo Levo HT? Riding conditions are deteriorating in my area and the bike is basically covered in mud/debris even after a shorter ride. I have covered the hole with gaffa tape for now but by no means an elegant solution. Another question, why is the drain hole only a 8 mm round hole when you have this 10 times bigger hole at the top? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize what is happening if you are watering down your bike after a dirty ride and you point the water hose in the area just in front of the rear wheel where the most dirt collect. If you are not extremely careful where you point the hose, you can simply fill the motor area with water/debris very quickly as the inlet is 10 times bigger than the outlet. Flushing down dirt will even likely plug the small 8 mm drain hole and amplify the risk of flooding the motor.

A few more pics of the big hole into the motor:

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Thanks in advance

Karsten

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
Have seen some cut the “front” of the mudhugger fr off just about the logo and insert that down rather the way you have done it (there is a vid on you tube showing it)

Did your way fit ok and does it just protect the bike or you also?

Any further drilling of the mudguard required or clogging issues?

Thanks for the post

Nothing in drain hole, potential to retain water.
The sponge is just pushed in.
View attachment 7964 View attachment 7964 View attachment 7965

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Have seen some cut the “front” of the mudhugger fr off just about the logo and insert that down rather the way you have done it (there is a vid on you tube showing it)

Did your way fit ok and does it just protect the bike or you also?

Any further drilling of the mudguard required or clogging issues?

Thanks for the post
It looks tight between the guard and tyre, I’ve had no issues.
Added a couple of holes and removed the lip by filing it flush to the id. No shortening required.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
an Italian company produces them, this is their website:

Specialized Turbo Levo FSR 2019 - kit adesivi telaio

they create the graphics as you want.

I'm sorry but I did not understand what it means:
How have you removed the with one?
all the stickers cover the original graphics, I can remove them whenever I want. the bigger one also protects the frame

These look great ? Which one is yours? Type 1, 2 or 3?

Can you possibly do some close up photos and post them please?

Drburns

Nov 22, 2018
USA
After only 60 miles of riding in mixed conditions, I had a ton of sand and pine needles in my engine cover. I just did the sponge mod per specialized and added a flap above the gap using an old tube secured with 3m double sided automotive tape. I left the drain hole open. I used foam from a shop vac filter sleeve. Kind of ridiculous to have to do this on an $8k bike!
8B81A06E-0BAF-46E6-A375-F066E2123D0A.jpeg

71D8A3C8-0B13-443C-91F0-3C7B8F407B2D.jpeg

We’ll see how well it works.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles