2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

modepp

Jul 15, 2019
Canada
Hello,

is the motor tune on the 2019 Levo different between the bikes that are coming with the 700WH and 500WH batteries? If so what are the diffrences? Also if the tunes are different and I upgrade to a 700WH battery from a 500WH, am I able to tune the motor myself to run it with the 700WH battery?

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
For those of you thinking about carrying a spare battery...
I purchased an Evoc Blackline FR Enduro 16l in XL and the battery fits inkluding the lower plastic cap. Maybe a solution for some of you, especially because the 500 wh battery is pretty cheap to have. I bought one for 399 Euros in a LBS.
Cheers

Are we talking 2019 Levo battery here?? I never saw one under 849 euros beside second hand ones.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Thank you so much; very helpful
my newly acquired turbo levo has the correct 6.1.0 motor firmware
But display firmware is 1A.B.0 ? Should I ask the dealer to do anything?
Thank you
No, you have the latest firmware. In hexadecimal (base 16 or hex) the symbols"0"–"9" represent values zero to nine, and "A"–"F" represent values ten to fifteen. "A" (ten) is greater than "9" (nine).

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
I'm considering this. It's currently £5100 for a Comp Carbon, £4k for the base model.

Weight does matter a bit, but let's be honest with ourselves and look at our waistbands first.
My £4K is brilliant. I did a 46 mile trek on Saturday and over 100 miles last week. If you are worried about a kilo of weight, save money by packing light and going for a ? before you ride out.... !

FOG777

Jul 10, 2019
Germany
Are we talking 2019 Levo battery here?? I never saw one under 849 euros beside second hand ones.

Yes, we are. As the battery comes out of a customers bike and was charged 2 times, it´s second hand (legally speaking). But it came with an invoice of the LBS and simply works. And last week it saved my life in the Alps :)

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
My £4K is brilliant. I did a 46 mile trek on Saturday and over 100 miles last week. If you are worried about a kilo of weight, save money by packing light and going for a ? before you ride out.... !

my morning routine reliably sees to your last point. ;-)

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza
I'm considering this. It's currently £5100 for a Comp Carbon, £4k for the base model.

Weight does matter a bit, but let's be honest with ourselves and look at our waistbands first.
My £4K is brilliant. I did a 46 mile trek on Saturday and over 100 miles last week. If you are worried about a kilo of weight, save money by packing light and going for a before you ride out.... !

Let’s not talk about morning toilet routines !!!
But you should know carbon frame is not for a weight saving porpose. There are other properties that make much better than alloy. Anyway, it depends on what kind of trails are you riding with it.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thank you so much; very helpful
my newly acquired turbo levo has the correct 6.1.0 motor firmware
But display firmware is 1A.B.0 ? Should I ask the dealer to do anything?
Thank you

Good question. The post you reference is outdated - as of today (16th July 2019) I can confirm you are running the latest production firmware (1A.B.0). 19B is the previous version.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have 200k or so on mine now and glad I made the purchase - even if I think Specialized is over-priced for the componentry.
Wrote a comparison to my Scott somewhere and will have to update that and repost.

TranscodedWallpaper.jpg

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Hello Levo owners,

I have a few questions:

• @ASV Where did you find your red Fox 34 stickers?

• Is every frame, from base model to top-end can accept the 700wh battery?

• Why the Comp Carbon is the less sold Levo? Went to French forum, and everyone is blaming the 6700€ Comp Carbon? Is there a better deal to do? Like buying the bottom modelm, and upgrade it by myself? Very curious to know what you thing guys!

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
It's not an official statement, it's what I read on various forum (mtbr, velovert etc...). Moreover, when I went to a Specialized dealer, he told me the same. Moreover, this Comp Carbon will disappear next year, if i'm right. So everything tend to demonstrate this is not a best seller. I wondering why.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I think the higher end carbon Levos are just a bit too expensive. Here in NZ the Levo Comp (Alloy) I have is $9,000 and the Levo Expert (Carbon) is $12,500.
Considering the Scott eGenius I have is $7,600 or so and has better componentry sales are not as good as they could be. Most shops are selling the Comp at $8200 & the Expert @ $11,500.
If you add a 700W/h battery ($1500) to the Comp it ends up at $9,700. Me, I am still tossing up whether to seel the Comp and buy a battery or flicking it off and grabbing an Expert.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
VFM gotta be a factor. GBP6k for a toy is a chunk of change.

I've not done the numbers but upgrading from a base model is tempting.

Also they're all SRAM. I'm more an XT guy.

FOG777

Jul 10, 2019
Germany
Hello Levo owners...
  • Is every frame, from base model to top-end can accept the 700wh battery?

• Why the Comp Carbon is the less sold Levo?...

Yes, the battery will always fit (speaking Levo MY19)

Hard to believe. Especially in my LBS it was/is in high demand (at least the blue one) and by far the last which was delivered. Placed my order Oct 2018, got mine May 2019.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I think the higher end carbon Levos are just a bit too expensive. Here in NZ the Levo Comp (Alloy) I have is $9,000 and the Levo Expert (Carbon) is $12,500.
Considering the Scott eGenius I have is $7,600 or so and has better componentry sales are not as good as they could be. Most shops are selling the Comp at $8200 & the Expert @ $11,500.
If you add a 700W/h battery ($1500) to the Comp it ends up at $9,700. Me, I am still tossing up whether to seel the Comp and buy a battery or flicking it off and grabbing an Expert.

Or waiting z month and buy the Comp Alloy with a 700wh battery.

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
I bought a Comp carbon and got the 700Wh for free.
Suspension sucks on all models so that’s no reason to have the expert and I rather spent my money on upgrades of my own choice. (Still to be honest the blue comp carbon was the only colour I liked, the experts I think are hidious)

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
I bought a Comp carbon and got the 700Wh for free.
Suspension sucks on all models so that’s no reason to have the expert and I rather spent my money on upgrades of my own choice. (Still to be honest the blue comp carbon was the only colour I liked, the experts I think are hidious)
Where did you get the 700 battery upgrade for free, was it in the UK? Edit: not to worry, presumably it was in the Netherlands :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Carbon Levo owners:
Anyone have heat problems? I'm shopping Levos (tried a Comp Carbon today!) and sales guy mentioned that he'd heard the carbons don't dissapate heat as well, suggesting I might want to go alloy. I didn't find much on this in the threads so guessing it is not really true, but thought I'd ask anyway...

Also since I have your attention, do you Levo owners who also ride ski hills have two bikes...e-bike and reg bike for downhill? Thinking I'll need a reg bike as well as ebike. Or once you have the Levo, other bikes just collect dust? :)
Your shop is correct, with EMTB's if the battery is integrated into a carbon frame the manufacturer has to think about heat management, as it won't dissipate heat like an alloy frame, which is why you see quite a few frames, such as the new Merida, Focus, Norco, Haibike and so on with vents in the down tube.

Of course if the bike is correctly designed you will never notice this.

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
IMO , the Carbon is about a grand more so maybe not great VFM but I liked the colour , wanted Carbon as never had Carbon before , wanted fox suspension as always had RS before and was as much as I could afford.
I still love the no welds , and the look of the weave through the paint in the sunshine
Just shy of a thousand miles since last Oct and not regretting my decision , I love it

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
IMO picking out a bike because of components is a waste of time. component "levels" are fixed by manufacturers to be shitty on purpose. so you buy an X0 group and its a deliberately nerfed X01 and so is an X7 and X9. Shimano does the same thing across the board.

When I picked out my Levo the decision was between Carbon or Aluminum. All the original components are long gone. Most were replaced on day 1, before it was even ridden.

btw, last night i noticed in the picture i posted above that my rear tire is mounted backwards

Total Fail!!
I trust you, but are you sure about this theory? (nerfed component)

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
Good question. The post you reference is outdated - as of today (16th July 2019) I can confirm you are running the latest production firmware (1A.B.0). 19B is the previous version.
I just purchased a 2019 and display shows 19.B.O display. Do I need to take it to dealer? What would be the difference in function?

Last edited:

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I spent just over 3 hours on a rented base Levo in Tahoe on Thursday. Did an 8 mile loop and a 4 mile loop, and a couple miles to back home. Decent elevation changes but not crazy.... 1000' on first and ~600' on second, and a couple hundred back home.

Two questions, from a noob:
1) Does the mission control app allow you to turn down eco mode sufficiently so that the bike is boosted just enough to 'neutralize' the extra motor/battery weight? What is that setting? I ran in eco almost the entire ride and sometimes felt I'd like less boost. I didn't realize modes were adjustable until after the ride or I'd have asked the rental shop what they were set at. I"m contacting them to see if I can find out what their settings are. I had no use for turbo except on crazy straight up climb on ride #2!

2) Does the battery have an non-linear power drain? I had only used one bar of battery for the whole day. On eco I can't imaging having enough energy myself to drain the battery... anybody actually draining the battery? what kind of ride does that take? :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The answer is that you set the 3 modes and try them....change them up or down as required. Battery drain is dependant onbhow much current is demanded from it. The motor responds with varying levels of assistance dependsnt on how much torque you apply through the cranks and your cadence.....moderated by the pedal assist and max power settings on each mode. The most efficient use of the motor/ battery is at a cadence of 70/80. In any mode the motor is able to deliver 4 times your torque input unless you reduce the max power on the setting less than 100%. The pedal assist effectively determines how easy it is to access the motor power. For example 50% pedal assist means you can readilly access 2 times your input. 25% equates to doubling your input. I think most set their ECO to about 15% pedal assist with a max power of 35%. That means it is easy to get c half your input as additional power from the motor and regardless how much torque you apply to the cranks you will not get more than about 1.2 times your input as assistance.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Well, wife's got a Std Levo and I have the Comp that we've had for about a month. I'm 69 and used to ride 25 years ago and wife's never been on an MTB. Boy, I'm glad that I didn't find this blog until after I purchased our bikes. We love our bikes! Only thing that pisses me off is the fact that there was a pivot gap problem that was noted almost a year ago. My Comp was built in January and Wife's was built in April, she has all the fixes. It's BS that Specialized shipped my bike with a known issue, and it's up to me and my dealer to fix it. Oh well, Honestly, I love the bike and I'm considering a S tattoo, just kidding.
IMG_5342.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles