2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

manher

Patreon
Jul 9, 2019
Warsaw/Poland
Want to show my Levo us well, and also ask question what kinds of bottles are you guys using. With this SWAT tools I cannot fill in my camelback bottles I'm blocking shock valve :(
20190711_182125.jpg

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Carbon Levo owners:
Anyone have heat problems? I'm shopping Levos (tried a Comp Carbon today!) and sales guy mentioned that he'd heard the carbons don't dissapate heat as well, suggesting I might want to go alloy. I didn't find much on this in the threads so guessing it is not really true, but thought I'd ask anyway...

Also since I have your attention, do you Levo owners who also ride ski hills have two bikes...e-bike and reg bike for downhill? Thinking I'll need a reg bike as well as ebike. Or once you have the Levo, other bikes just collect dust? :)

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
I have a carbon comp and no problems with heat and have not heard of any, also you are correct. Once you get a levo everything else just collects dust lol

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
Carbon Levo owners:
Anyone have heat problems? I'm shopping Levos (tried a Comp Carbon today!) and sales guy mentioned that he'd heard the carbons don't dissapate heat as well, suggesting I might want to go alloy. I didn't find much on this in the threads so guessing it is not really true, but thought I'd ask anyway...

Also since I have your attention, do you Levo owners who also ride ski hills have two bikes...e-bike and reg bike for downhill? Thinking I'll need a reg bike as well as ebike. Or once you have the Levo, other bikes just collect dust? :)

I had an aluminum one for 230 miles 3 weeks and now have carbon expert 360 miles 4 weeks. I had about heat "issue" prior as well but have NOT seen a difference in heat with the carbon. I was curious so I periodically have checked temps.

Since purchase of Emtb I have sold my gravel bike and road bike. I have ridden my Pivot 5.5 pedal bike 3 times out of the last 35 plus rides. The carbon has some damping qualities which is a bonus. That being said if you can pony up for the expert the battery and suspension makes a huge difference. Instead of running car shuttles I just Levo up.

I have bad Achilles tendons from antibiotics so instead of being crushed after a single ride with the fast kids I can still join them and ride the next day and the next day and the next day. Plus I can keep heart rate in the green.

However I am a little faster downhill on the Pivot and I am not nearly as comfortable on jump trails on emtb. The Pike works well but I think a Lyric Ultimate or Fox 36 with a grip2 would be a little better.

It's probably more about your riding style and local trails than anything. Have fun.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Truckeemtb - you need the new rear pivot protection kit:

IMG_0468.jpg

Here it is installed, your shop should do it under warranty.

IMG_0470.jpg

Also, I left my makeshift crud deflector (shown taped up for the photo) to protect the paint

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza
Carbon Levo owners:

Hi! I ride a comp carbon in hot Spanish summer and no heat issues.
If you want an e-bike and another for DH, get a Kenevo!
Enjoy

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use carbon fibre products extensively for windsurfing and have never heard of any problems caused by heat. Exposure to UV is however another issue. It is the epoxy that can degrade with exposure to UV rather than the carbon composite itself but these days most epoxy has an UV inhibitor added or the composite is protected by UV inhibitors in the paint finish or laquer. If you scrape scratch or chip a carbon frame it is wise to cover the damage by repainting and/or do an epoxy repair plus paint.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Personally I would want to know a lot more about the construction process of a carbon frame before buying one....not that I would chose carbon for a MTB frame anyway simply because whilst carbon is light and can be very stiff, it is brittle and prone to impact damage. That can be alleviated to a degree with weaves consisting different orientation and mixes of fibre (glass kevlar etc) or with sandwich constructions. Carbon composites are also stronger if less epoxy is used...hence the use of pre preg as opposed to wet lay up. I have never seen any description of carbon bike frames that tells you anything really.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Thanks all. @Nando Lope sure I'll just make a second trip to my money tree ;) lol
Already having a hard time w/ prices!!! No Kenevo... was thinking of picking up a 3-4 year old pedal bike for ~2-3k along with Levo.

I'm coming from a vintage '98 Stumpjumper hardtail. Did a bunch of riding long long ago and am only now getting back into it. I rode a couple new Stumpjumpers yesterday as well (LT and ST, liked LT but could not really decide between L and M sizes). Bikes are amazing! I'm like rip van winkle.... can't believe what's available now! but prices are also unbelievable!

Honestly part of my interest in emtb is I'm nervous about my fitness. I did a few rides last month (I live in sf bay area but have place in Tahoe at 6800 ft) and despite my enthusiasm and good fitness level thought I was going to puke my lungs out. I'm working on upping my game but holy crap that was hard.

My other thought for 2nd bike is friends won't nec have ebikes... then I'll have superpowers and they won't.

benhughes132

Jul 2, 2019
Scarborough
Hi.... picked up my Levo Comp today. I tried a few different bikes out before looking at these because i sort of always knew i wanted one. So, i got it home this morning and first job was to make it more durable in the wet and dirt. Wheels off, i set to wiping down with a paint cleaner to remove any grease and contaminants, hen applied Gtechniq EXO (had some left over from a customers car) on the paint. now its all clean and protected. can't wait to get it out.

View attachment 15630 View attachment 15631 View attachment 15632

Nice bud, I like the colour combo on that. I did the same with the Exo v4, also a fellow detailer :)

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Thanks all. @Nando Lope sure I'll just make a second trip to my money tree ;) lol
Already having a hard time w/ prices!!! No Kenevo... was thinking of picking up a 3-4 year old pedal bike for ~2-3k along with Levo.

Honestly part of my interest in emtb is I'm nervous about my fitness. I did a few rides last month (I live in sf bay area but have place in Tahoe at 6800 ft) and despite my enthusiasm and good fitness level thought I was going to puke my lungs out. I'm working on upping my game but holy crap that was hard.

mountain biking's a tough game Jim, cut yourself some slack.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Nice bud, I like the colour combo on that. I did the same with the Exo v4, also a fellow detailer :)

Hi, I was close to getting the carbon myself, didn’t have the right size in stock so as I’m impatient I got the comp... not regretting at all... exo seemed the right thing to do, stop dirt and water sticking, should start offering a service ?
I’m also a legal drone pilot so looking forward to mixing the levo and drone.....

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Hi, I was close to getting the carbon myself, didn’t have the right size in stock so as I’m impatient I got the comp... not regretting at all... exo seemed the right thing to do, stop dirt and water sticking, should start offering a service ?
I’m also a legal drone pilot so looking forward to mixing the levo and drone.....

Much as I fancy a carbon, head is telling me alu does the job just as well.

What's the weight difference between the frames?

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I would have been happy getting a base levo but didn’t like the colours, I really wanted nice blue but only had it in large. I got xl.

benhughes132

Jul 2, 2019
Scarborough
Much as I fancy a carbon, head is telling me alu does the job just as well.

What's the weight difference between the frames?

I maybe made this mistake of thinking weight etc so I got carbon, but with these its a whole different game, really make no difference if I had the option again I’d get alloy and upgrade bits.

benhughes132

Jul 2, 2019
Scarborough

If I’d seen that colour you have I’d of got that one I reckon, I got £600 off mine so that’s what made me pick carbon. I was thinking weight etc but a kg here and there makes no difference once that motors turned on (y)

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
If I’d seen that colour you have I’d of got that one I reckon, I got £600 off mine so that’s what made me pick carbon. I was thinking weight etc but a kg here and there makes no difference once that motors turned on (y)
I really like the grey but in the pictures on the net it looked more dark blue. Got 600 off mine too, ?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I maybe made this mistake of thinking weight etc so I got carbon, but with these its a whole different game, really make no difference if I had the option again I’d get alloy and upgrade bits.

I'm considering this. It's currently £5100 for a Comp Carbon, £4k for the base model.

Weight does matter a bit, but let's be honest with ourselves and look at our waistbands first.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa

My other thought for 2nd bike is friends won't nec have ebikes... then I'll have superpowers and they won't.

Riding at altitude when not acclimated is tough. I used the ebike a bunch to get in better shape and it was/is nice to be able to go on bigger rides without getting burnt and then being able to ride the next day. The regular bike is faster now as well as i'm used to going at a a ridiculous pace

FOG777

Jul 10, 2019
Germany
For those of you thinking about carrying a spare battery...
I purchased an Evoc Blackline FR Enduro 16l in XL and the battery fits inkluding the lower plastic cap. Maybe a solution for some of you, especially because the 500 wh battery is pretty cheap to have. I bought one for 399 Euros in a LBS.
Cheers

IMG_20190629_115445.jpg
IMG_20190629_115500.jpg

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
Also posted in the Mission Control section, please see below for a description of what Shuttle mode is. We're proud of it - it works well and there are no known bugs.

View attachment 5493

IMPORTANT: When we started production some months ago the available motor firmware did not support Shuttle mode - hence each bike needs a firmware update by the retailer prior to hand-over. This firmware update greatly improves walk-assist, and activates the shuttle mode & acceleration response features within Mission Control. Whilst we did all we could to ensure retailers understood the importance of this firmware update, it could be that one or two bikes left stores without it.

You can tell if your bike has had the firmware update or not by checking the display and motor firmware in Mission Control, display firmware should be 19b and motor firmware 6.1.0. If you are seeing 13a and 6.0.0 or 6.0.1 respectively, please contact your retailer and ask them to get your bike updated. Takes approx 5 mins.

Thank you so much; very helpful
my newly acquired turbo levo has the correct 6.1.0 motor firmware
But display firmware is 1A.B.0 ? Should I ask the dealer to do anything?
Thank you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles