2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
@Rob Hancill - My gift to all riders, regardless of beliefs; a little prayer to the God of eMTB dreamt up whilst out on the South Downs today....
Please feel free to reuse for any bike....or swap “Levo” for “eMTB”... ?

My Levo
Who art on charge,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come;
Thy wheels shall run
On trails and rock gardens.
Give us this day our daily fix,
As we forgive that which prevents flow.
And lead us not into injury, punctures
or mechanical issues,
But deliver us safely
for tea and medals.
The ePowah and the glory.
For ever and ever
Amen

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
While I was converting my front wheel to tubeless last weekend I've discovered hair-thin crack (>10 mm or 1/2" in length) after I've bedded the tire - it leaked air and bubbled from underneath the wheel's decals.
Is it something I should be concerned about?
LBS guy told me to keep riding and keep an eye on the crack size.

View attachment 15509
Ally can be dented but a crack is usually down to metal fatigue caused by continuous flexing and that would show through a paint finish and start at an edge. So I would say the crack is a manufacturing fault rather than fatigue or impact damage. Spec wheels are included in the lifetime warranty so get it changed.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
While I was converting my front wheel to tubeless last weekend I've discovered hair-thin crack (>10 mm or 1/2" in length) after I've bedded the tire - it leaked air and bubbled from underneath the wheel's decals.
Is it something I should be concerned about?
LBS guy told me to keep riding and keep an eye on the crack size.

View attachment 15509
That’s clearly a production error and I would request a new wheel immediately. Can you imagine what would happen if it suddenly disintegrate when you go downhill at 30 mph? We are ultimately talking your health here.

Karsten

slowbrain

Aug 30, 2018
Norway
thanks @khorn and @Mikerb... my thoughts exactly... at the beginning, I told myself I'm going to go along with LBS suggestion but subconsciousness is a bitch and I started to be more worried :)

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
thanks @khorn and @Mikerb... my thoughts exactly... at the beginning, I told myself I'm going to go along with LBS suggestion but subconsciousness is a bitch and I started to be more worried :)

(y) What was your forum nickname again? :unsure:;)

I full agree, it looks pretty dangerous. If the crack is already leaking bubbles it isn't a scratch but it's a crack which went completely through the aluminium rim. I would bring your bike in to claim warranty.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
my comp carbon at whinlatter , will post some of my thoughts on the bike later

IMG_20190616_160729.jpg

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Me again

Love my levo but have noticed some problems and annoyances.

1. Rear shock leaks oil in use both fox and specialized have said this is normal when new however it's still doing it after over 500 miles.

2. Not looked under cover yet for debris but my dad designed a shit lip see below for pic.

3. Mission control is rubbish ride tracking is hopeless so I use a sunnto for that. Also it has a annoying habit of logging me out and once I didn't have password and couldn't adjust power levels and almost ran out of juice.

4. Squeaky front brakes, managed to stop this by putting pads in oven for 30mins

5. Chain guide rattles, had to put extra washers under big bolt to line it up, also smaller bolt has stripped threads, probably my fault

6. Paint rather easy to chip anyone know a good color match I've ordered bmw hennarot as its described as orangey red

500wh battery most I have got is 58 miles but usually 35 to 40 on trails

Use it to commute along towpath 15% assistance good enough for this but have gone as low as 5%

Bike at start of burma Road in Scotland, look it up its a amazing ride

IMG_20190530_121345.jpg

My shit lip

IMG_20190705_224447.jpg

Feel free to add me on strava

Strava Cyclist Profile | ⛰️ David Hart ⛰️

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
2,6...……...you need a rear mudguard. I don't think the paint finish is poor. The area you photographed gets bombarded by stones off the rear wheel at speed and no paint will stand up to that. The arched section in the picture I have covered with frame protector.
3,...…...I agree and I use Komoot which is a free phone app which is not only completely reliable but does a lot more than MC to map rides, navigate rides etc ( and if you buy/download a map of the region where you are riding the phone does not need any internet access)
2....your DIY lip will not prevent dust or water going down there. There is a Specialized mod kit for it which my bike does not have yet either so meanwhile I have used a small kitchen sink sponge stuffed into the gap ( and a mudguard).
6...I think your LBS can order the correct touch up paint.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
2,6...……...you need a rear mudguard. I don't think the paint finish is poor. The area you photographed gets bombarded by stones off the rear wheel at speed and no paint will stand up to that. The arched section in the picture I have covered with frame protector.
3,...…...I agree and I use Komoot which is a free phone app which is not only completely reliable but does a lot more than MC to map rides, navigate rides etc ( and if you buy/download a map of the region where you are riding the phone does not need any internet access)
2....your DIY lip will not prevent dust or water going down there. There is a Specialized mod kit for it which my bike does not have yet either so meanwhile I have used a small kitchen sink sponge stuffed into the gap ( and a mudguard).
6...I think your LBS can order the correct touch up paint.

Think also of starting to use BLEvo. With this app (specially developed for LEvo/Keneno) you can do everything what MC can but you will get many others features as well. Controlling the support % based on you leg power or heart rate. Navigate trails, track your ride, etc.

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
Think also of starting to use BLEvo. With this app (specially developed for LEvo/Keneno) you can do everything what MC can but you will get many others features as well. Controlling the support % based on you leg power or heart rate. Navigate trails, track your ride, etc.
BLevo is good and worth the £9 or so it costs but I have noticed if I use my phone for anything else it can drop the Bluetooth connection and lose all my ride data which is frustrating if I want to upload to Strava.....

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Blevo application is impressive but the weak link is the bluetooth connection. Car manufacturers seem to be able to make bluetooth work reliably but that is about the only good example I can think of. I certainly would not trust a bluetooth connection dynamically managing the bike power settings.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
The Blevo application is impressive but the weak link is the bluetooth connection. Car manufacturers seem to be able to make bluetooth work reliably but that is about the only good example I can think of. I certainly would not trust a bluetooth connection dynamically managing the bike power settings.

With latest update BLEvo reconnects automatically to the bike if the bluetooth connection gets lost. This happens, if I am right, after 10 seconds. I just rode 2 hours with BLEvo. Connection dropped once diring the ride. (only noticed it due the phone started vibrating) It connected automatically again and all ride data is good. Used BLEvo smart power and smart HR. Only consumed 2,65Wh/km due to BLEvo’s smart assistance.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Hi.... picked up my Levo Comp today. I tried a few different bikes out before looking at these because i sort of always knew i wanted one. So, i got it home this morning and first job was to make it more durable in the wet and dirt. Wheels off, i set to wiping down with a paint cleaner to remove any grease and contaminants, hen applied Gtechniq EXO (had some left over from a customers car) on the paint. now its all clean and protected. can't wait to get it out.

P7070463.jpg
P7070465.jpg
IMG_2431.jpg

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Concerning your saddle:
One might think, a soft saddle (gel) would be more comfortable - it‘s the contrary!
Your both sitbones should take all the pressure, and thats not possible with a soft saddle.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Concerning your saddle:
One might think, a soft saddle (gel) would be more comfortable - it‘s the contrary!
Your both sitbones should take all the pressure, and thats not possible with a soft saddle.

How’s this? I’ve used gel seats for years

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
With a soft saddle, the seat bones sink into the gel and you’ll get pressure on the soft parts and nerves. But if you've been used to this for years, everything is ok. ;)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
don't think that is right....a well designed gel saddle still raises the seat bones sufficient to avoid pressure on the soft parts and nerves. Thinks down there, especially the prostate, get bigger on men with age, so older folk ( like me!) would definitely know if there was any undue pressure. I personally have no idea how people sit on those rock hard saddles! Torture!

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I’m a valeter and detailer, it will stay clean...... ?

Regarding the saddle, from what I can make out the hard seat can be more problematic. It’s not like you sit on it hours on end, most the ride is standing up. Interesting tho.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I’m a valeter and detailer, it will stay clean...... ?

Regarding the saddle, from what I can make out the hard seat can be more problematic. It’s not like you sit on it hours on end, most the ride is standing up. Interesting tho.
Yep I agree...I don't understand the logic with saddles. On a road bike you are leaning forward over the bars so the saddle is more of prop than a seat. On a MTB you are more upright and on an E Bike you tend to sit more than on an analogue mtb...and you are riding on bumpy uneven surfaces, not on smooth tarmac. So having your bum bones resting with a fair proportion of your body weight on a hard saddle seems pretty stupid to me! The saddle and a focus on lightweight components at the expense of ruggedness seems something of a non sensible hangover from road cycling at least for AM/Enduro/DH type riding.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Yep I agree...I don't understand the logic with saddles. On a road bike you are leaning forward over the bars so the saddle is more of prop than a seat. On a MTB you are more upright and on an E Bike you tend to sit more than on an analogue mtb...and you are riding on bumpy uneven surfaces, not on smooth tarmac. So having your bum bones resting with a fair proportion of your body weight on a hard saddle seems pretty stupid to me! The saddle and a focus on lightweight components at the expense of ruggedness seems something of a non sensible hangover from road cycling at least for AM/Enduro/DH type riding.

Agreed.... also, after a time on a hard saddle I’ve hade enough, it’s painful so at least a soft one is more bearable. I’m nearly 17 stone too so a lot of weight on a tiny hard seat.....

juuungle

Apr 18, 2019
New Zealand
The main ideas behind a more minimal saddle are that they have a better shape/geometry for pedaling, and less weight (not that we probably care too much about weight for EMTB's). McInner1 is correct that this relies on placing weight correctly on your sit bones - if you want to go that route I would suggest you might want to get the seating set up a your LBS to confirm the saddle size/position/angle etc. With some time in the saddle, your sit bones will adjust and the saddle will feel more comfortable. Also key is having a set of cycling shorts with a good chamois in them.

At 95kg with gear, I ride a Specialized Phenom saddle and prefer the minimal shape for pedaling, especially after adjusting to the firmness. If that is too hard, then the Specialized Henge series of saddles provide some nice additional cushion and a good shape.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles