2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Robser

Jan 11, 2019
Switzerland
My Levo 19 with 1000km of Trails:) Just enjoying it!

IMG_0979.jpg

JonnyLevo34

Jun 23, 2019
Kent
I've had my 2019 Levo for around a month now. I have replaced the dropper and handlebars. I love how balanced this bike feels and it certainly doesn't feel heavy whilst riding it. I cannot gain confidence with the Butcher's tyres, so will be changing them shortly for Schwalbe Magic Mary. These will also be new to me, as I have always ridden Maxxis.
IMG_20190518_184153.jpg

IMG_20190611_202127.jpg

IMG_20190615_161747.jpg

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I've had my 2019 Levo for around a month now. I have replaced the dropper and handlebars. I love how balanced this bike feels and it certainly doesn't feel heavy whilst riding it. I cannot gain confidence with the Butcher's tyres, so will be changing them shortly for Schwalbe Magic Mary. These will also be new to me, as I have always ridden Maxxis.
View attachment 15275

View attachment 15276

View attachment 15277
Great bike :) I had Magic Mary put on my new Levo and they are superb as I have read that the Butcher tyres are a bit skittish!

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
3 QUESTIONS:

I have a Levo S-Works 2019 since a few weeks. There are three things I notice that don't worry me, but as a technically interested person I would like to know if others would notice it too:

1) Brakes: SRAM Code rsc 200mm
The discs have not been braking evenly since the beginning. When braking lightly on steep slopes, the bike starts to pump - alternately braking harder and weaker - at the rhythm of one wheel turn. As if the discs on one side of the circumference were slightly thicker than on the opposite side. I don't have such an accurate measuring tool to measure that. The brakes are already well retracted.
Has anyone of you already felt that or has an explanation?

2) Freewheel: DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 54t engagement, SRAM XD driver body
In freewheeling, when the bike rolls downhill, the freewheel does not make an even whirring, but is alternately louder and quieter during one wheel turn - wheeewheeewheee.... Why isn't the noise even? Is that an indication of any error?

3) Fork: FOX 36 Factory E-bike, GRIP2 damper, 29" Boost™, 150mm of travel
With every rebound the fork makes a hissing noise. Not scary, but I didn't have that with a fork yet. Is that normal?

Thanks for your attention and comments!

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi! Anyone have trouble with the rear hub that comes with the Comp Carbon Levo 2019? Myself and several of my mates need to tighten the preaload nuts for the bearings quite often. (Like every 3-5 rides) the LBS did this at first but I have done it lately my self. This sucks, if you bought a brand new expensive car and had to tighten the wheel bearings after a few rides repeatedly, you would just not accept it! Our local LBS sent a complaint to Specialized regarding this issue. They were told that we just have to tighten the nuts on a regular basis. I’m not looking for technical solutions to this, just curious if anyone else experience this. And yes we have tried with loctite, new bearings and all thinkable other solutions in dialogue with our LBS. I have now given up and put on a DT Swiss H 1700 wheel out back. But that ain’t right. I thought specialized were world class in customer support? At least that impression was given me when I bought the 2019 Levo.

Cheers Jonas

Posted this on FB on Specialized Levo Kenevo group. Got massive response. With people that had same experience. I see that some have gotten replacements from Spesh but most have not. WHY???
Spoke to Spesh representatives this weekend and they told me that their philosophy was that more than 2% warranty/customer complaints triggers a change. So GO on everyone that has play in the rear wheel after tighten the nuts, please complain to your LBS and make them register it so finally Spesh come out with a better hubs on their wheels in the future.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
3 QUESTIONS:

I have a Levo S-Works 2019 since a few weeks. There are three things I notice that don't worry me, but as a technically interested person I would like to know if others would notice it too:

1) Brakes: SRAM Code rsc 200mm
The discs have not been braking evenly since the beginning. When braking lightly on steep slopes, the bike starts to pump - alternately braking harder and weaker - at the rhythm of one wheel turn. As if the discs on one side of the circumference were slightly thicker than on the opposite side. I don't have such an accurate measuring tool to measure that. The brakes are already well retracted.
Has anyone of you already felt that or has an explanation?

2) Freewheel: DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 54t engagement, SRAM XD driver body
In freewheeling, when the bike rolls downhill, the freewheel does not make an even whirring, but is alternately louder and quieter during one wheel turn - wheeewheeewheee.... Why isn't the noise even? Is that an indication of any error?

3) Fork: FOX 36 Factory E-bike, GRIP2 damper, 29" Boost™, 150mm of travel
With every rebound the fork makes a hissing noise. Not scary, but I didn't have that with a fork yet. Is that normal?

Thanks for your attention and comments!
Ans.1) When my front brake was only half bedded in, the disk rotor was shinny on one half and near new (not bedded in yet) on the other. So mine must have been slightly thinner on one side. Now with it bedded in fully, the braking is even.

Ans.2) Mine did that too. The more I used it the more even the sound became. Needs time for grease inside to spread evenly. I've done 60 km and the sound is now even.

Ans.3) I didn't have that when new, but after adjusting opening low speed rebound 1 click to make it extend a little faster it now makes a hissing noise and won't return to full extension. If I hold down lower fork legs and lift handlebar it will extent another half inch. When I let go it sucks back down.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Thanks @Indigo!
I have now about 300 km and 5000 elevation m.
-brakes are now more even but bicycle still pumps.
-freewheel-noise is same like in the beginning - uneven.
-fork: I did a few clicks on the rebound-knob and now it‘s quiet.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Finally i got fed up with the specialized dropper. It is so bad.
It's not even the correct diameter. At the bottom of the post it is 34.9 but then it tapers in to like 33. Wtf? I had to over tighten the clamp so that it wouln't slip, and the bolt on the clamp is made of soft cheese so it doesn't last. I bought a KCNC seat clamp and KS Lev Integra. It is so so much nicer. I used the spec lever and cable housing so it was basically plug and play. Other than that the bike is briliant, absurdly capable.

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
It's not even the correct diameter. At the bottom of the post it is 34.9 but then it tapers in to like 33. Wtf? I had to over tighten the clamp so that it wouln't slip, and the bolt on the clamp is made of soft cheese so it doesn't last. I bought a KCNC seat clamp and KS Lev Integra. It is so so much nicer. I used the spec lever and cable housing so it was basically plug and play. Other than that the bike is briliant, absurdly capable.

Good call. I switched to a Race Face which is the same as my fox transfer I have on my Pivot 5.5. A shim was used due to the diameter, doesn't slip and adress's my biggest complaint with the bike.

PS Pivot 5.5 has only been ridden a few times since this purchase.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
What size are the seatpost clamps? I know the post is 34.9. Thx

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
Thanks for all the great beta
I just got a 2019 turbo levo. And sold my 2017 levo. 2 rides in and the upgrade is way better than anticipated. I paid extra to have it come with a Rockshox reverb dropper (which I don't like as it takes alot of force on the thumb lever) and a 700 Watt battery.
So if anyone needs an extra brand new 500 W battery.....
19&batt.jpg

hailo

Jun 27, 2019
USA
Hi all live in the US and about to take possession of my 2019 turbo comp.
Any recommendations on what/what not to do to it?
Can’t wait this thing is going to be awesome!,,
Thanks again.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Broken chain yesterday on my new Levo after just 3 months of riding. Going uphill around a turn and it popped for no reason. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

How much stretch was in the chain? Mid drive bikes will wear out their drive components faster.

n-xplorer

Nov 17, 2018
Columbia River Gorge
How much stretch was in the chain? Mid drive bikes will wear out their drive components faster.
I don't have a tool to measure, but will have LBS check it out soon. I did keep the chain lubed (KMC chain). I've been climbing some steep terrain here and this motor is really powerful. Are there better chains out there?

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I don't have a tool to measure, but will have LBS check it out soon. I did keep the chain lubed (KMC chain). I've been climbing some steep terrain here and this motor is really powerful. Are there better chains out there?

There are some who have favorite chains. I don't they all seem to wear out for me!
If you take a ruler and measure pin to pin at exactly 12" a new chain will be pin to pin. An old chain might have it's pin be 1/16" to 1/18"

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
dumb question from a new owner---did some kind of plug fall off the bottom of my engine casing? 3 rides in and I noticed this for the first time
IMG_2019.jpg

Attachments

• hole.pdf
    110 KB · Views: 511
  • hole.pdf
    110 KB · Views: 475

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
well personally I wouldn't ride mine through water that covers or partially covers the motor but I would ask your dealer to confirm if you can or not

slowbrain

Aug 30, 2018
Norway
While I was converting my front wheel to tubeless last weekend I've discovered hair-thin crack (>10 mm or 1/2" in length) after I've bedded the tire - it leaked air and bubbled from underneath the wheel's decals.
Is it something I should be concerned about?
LBS guy told me to keep riding and keep an eye on the crack size.

Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 00.29.37.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles