2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I have 22 clicks on my FOX 34 Rhythm.

Thanks for confirming, so it isn’t me ... can anyone knowledgeable on rebound comment on how the chart on the Fox website quoted earlier with its suggested 13 clicks relates to the actual fork which has 22? If not I’ll call Fox UK ??

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
I have 22 clicks on my FOX 34 Rhythm.

Thanks for confirming, so it isn’t me ... can anyone knowledgeable on rebound comment on how the chart on the Fox website quoted earlier with its suggested 13 clicks relates to the actual fork which has 22? If not I’ll call Fox UK

Yeah let us know, but i prefer to set my rebound by going on trails i know and adjusting to suit. I’ve never found guidelines that good. However i agree they should provide suitable basic instruction.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Thanks for confirming, so it isn’t me ... can anyone knowledgeable on rebound comment on how the chart on the Fox website quoted earlier with its suggested 13 clicks relates to the actual fork which has 22? If not I’ll call Fox UK ??
What setup tests did you do to find out you need to set the damper at 22 clicks?

Darcy

Nov 23, 2018
Watford
Day 5 in a row it's not turning on. Even didn't turn on during the day, as I often turn it off/on whilst coaching etc. Didn't come back on. I've a feeling it's getting worse.

I just remove the charging port, wipe both ends with finger/glove (which probably does nothing... Might try not even the magic rub tomorrow) and then press it back in.

TCU = ? ? The Control Unit? Ie the power button?

I thought it was just a software variable.
Had the same thing and turned out to be a faulty wiring loom. There is quite a sharp kink it needs to make and think that is the issue. The bike shop ordered a new one right away as they had seen before too and presto all sorted. They did diagnostics to see if anything else and nothing so suspect you have the same. A hint that the wire works but not fully is that when I was pressing power on the top you could still see the green lights on the battery indicator from behind the power connector which told me something is working but not right.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I think the minimum bend radius of a cable should be 8 x the diameter of a cable. might be wrong but I seem to remember something like that in distant past electrical engineering college

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Reply from Fox UK as follows:

“The Grip damper will have 22 clicks of rebound adjustment from fully closed to fully open. The 12-13 clicks in the owner’s manual is a suggested setting for a given (fairly low) air pressure. Your damper sounds as if it is operating correctly”.

I’ve asked what is the psi range for the remaining clicks given the manual says 58psi for 13 clicks. Will reply if I hear anything.

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
Have had my 2019 levo expert in the rocket red and storm grey for two days,have ridden it twice and there is paint missing off it where stone couldn't hit am so pissed have a 2018 levo and crashed it about 20 times and has no marks on it WTF.

You and me both. See my post #400 on page 14, and subsequent related posts. The paint is awful. I've wrapped mine in Invisiframe for peace of mind.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Had the same thing and turned out to be a faulty wiring loom. There is quite a sharp kink it needs to make and think that is the issue. The bike shop ordered a new one right away as they had seen before too and presto all sorted. They did diagnostics to see if anything else and nothing so suspect you have the same. A hint that the wire works but not fully is that when I was pressing power on the top you could still see the green lights on the battery indicator from behind the power connector which told me something is working but not right.
My one did exactly the same, with the battery lights showing green behind the connector.
What are the chances of the same wire breaking in the cable?
I'm wondering if something else is failing in the cable, and not just as simple as a broken wire?

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Paint is weak AF on these bikes
emoji849.png
emoji850.png
Have had my 2019 levo expert in the rocket red and storm grey for two days,have ridden it twice and there is paint missing off it where stone couldn't hit am so pissed have a 2018 levo and crashed it about 20 times and has no marks on it WTF.
Must be due to a fault in manufacturing. I suggest you contact @Specialized Rider Care

Possible causes:
When Specialized QA inspector isn't watching, the manufacturer is skipping the chemical etching process to save money. :sneaky:
or
Frame allowed to oxidize (stand for too long) between chemical etching process and first coat of paint. :oops:

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Final update from Fox on the rebound query below:

A back calculation of air pressure from rebound clicks is difficult and perhaps the wrong way round to establish set up. You may run a lower pressure for which a more open rebound damping is appropriate or you may want a quicker return than 13 clicks provides. The numbers in the owner’s manual are only a guide and a starting point – you may want to adjust and finesse your settings for your riding .

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Day 5 in a row it's not turning on. Even didn't turn on during the day, as I often turn it off/on whilst coaching etc. Didn't come back on. I've a feeling it's getting worse.

I just remove the charging port, wipe both ends with finger/glove (which probably does nothing... Might try not even the magic rub tomorrow) and then press it back in.

TCU = ? ? The Control Unit? Ie the power button?

I thought it was just a software variable.
Well here's the thing. It turned on today just fine in the morning. Then evening didn't. What I don't understand is that removing the charge port flap thing, then pressing back in place fixes it. Wtf

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Well here's the thing. It turned on today just fine in the morning. Then evening didn't. What I don't understand is that removing the charge port flap thing, then pressing back in place fixes it. Wtf
Bet it's a failing cable, they are known to break.
It's a 10 min job for your dealer to change it and see if that sorts it out.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
my wifes bike has the same problem I wonder if the seal around the plug is a little oversize and it stops proper contact by not allowing the plug to be pulled in properly my the magnet
its just a guess though

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Would a video showing what happens help?

(Can you attach videos?)
Hi All Mountain Coaching,

I guess a video would certainly help but I am also not sure if you can attach videos here. Otherwise post the video on youtube and just add the link here.

By the way, Specialized Rider Care just responded on this thread:
Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019 - EMTB Forums

I think it's smart that anyone which seems to have motor power cable issues posts within the thread above so we (Specialized included) get a more clear view about how big the issue is.

Egregor

Oct 4, 2018
Florida
Help with these please!....i am about to buy the 2019 Sworks Levo but have read here many issues on motor noise, casing gaps and someone told me about a issue on the headset? .....is that so ? was there an official Specialized Recall on the 2019 models ? i can't seem to find any official recall letter from them ..

I just don't want to buy such an expensive bike and have one with the bad motors etc....how to know? The guy in the store told me the Sworks arrived in late December and he doesn't know anything on the matter or any recall issues

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Help with these please!....i am about to buy the 2019 Sworks Levo but have read here many issues on motor noise, casing gaps and someone told me about a issue on the headset? .....is that so ? was there an official Specialized Recall on the 2019 models ? i can't seem to find any official recall letter from them ..

I just don't want to buy such an expensive bike and have one with the bad motors etc....how to know? The guy in the store told me the Sworks arrived in late December and he doesn't know anything on the matter or any recall issues

You've got 45 pages to read, I suggest you get right on it....:ROFLMAO::p

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

Dear Egregor,

Maybe this post can help you:
My Levo 2019 review of a critical owner and summarize until today - EMTB Forums

I am now really happy with the bike. The headset issue would be totally new to me. I am daily visiting this forum and haven't seen any post about this topic so I wouldn't be afraid.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
The headset issue would be totally new to me. I am daily visiting this forum and haven't seen any post about this topic so I wouldn't be afraid.

I hadn't heard anything about that either but my headset (2019 Expert) loosened off recently. It tightens up using a 5 or 6mm allen at the bottom of the steerer. I will keep a close eye on it from now on.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I hadn't heard anything about that either but my headset (2019 Expert) loosened off recently. It tightens up using a 5 or 6mm allen at the bottom of the steerer. I will keep a close eye on it from now on.
The SWAT CC steerer tube tool that comes with 2019 carbon Levos has a 5mm hex bolt that is accessed from below the fork crown. The 5mm bolt goes thru a base plate that interfaces with the bottom of the steerer tube tube and preloads the headset bearings by tightening them against the cap on top of the stem. (It also serves as part of the chain breaker.) From the factory mine was set a bit loose (not enough bearing preload), and I noticed a slight clunking sound from the headset area on larger hits. I would advise checking the headset bearing preload on ANY new bike purchase, with or without the SWAT tool.

To adjust the preload you need to loosen the stem (usually 4mm hex) before adjusting the 5mm bolt and retighten the stem afterwards. You also have to completely remove the upper part of the SWAT CC tool if you want to change stem spacers or switch or flip stems. It's a bit more involved than a conventional star-nut system but very easy to do.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
I replaced my stock 150mm fox 34 on the carbon comp with a 160mm Mrp ribbon coil 46mm offset fork today. Wow, I feel it was a big improvement. Maybe it was the shorter offset or lowering the stem one spacer but I didn’t have any negative effects on climbing. Thought I’d pass it on. The fork only was a few grams heavier than the fox34 amazingly.

freddok

Jan 9, 2019
Villard de Lans, France
I replaced my stock 150mm fox 34 on the carbon comp with a 160mm Mrp ribbon coil 46mm offset fork today. Wow, I feel it was a big improvement. Maybe it was the shorter offset or lowering the stem one spacer but I didn’t have any negative effects on climbing. Thought I’d pass it on. The fork only was a few grams heavier than the fox34 amazingly.

I've the Ribbon coil in 170 flavour on my GG Megatrail and for sure it's a really, really great fork !!! Maybe like a Marzocchi Bomber Z1 in it's time... Cheap and friendly user servicing (not like a Fox...), small and big bumps compliant, buttery smooth and all the customers service from MRP always present for any advices.

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
Fitted this the week before Christmas. However....... got a call from TF tuned saying..... Cane Creek have been in touch with them and have said that they do not recommend that you put a DB IL Coil on your 2019 Levo or 2019 Stumpjumper as they are worried the shaft of the shock may snap near the rear eyelet due to the increased leverage force created by the yoke.

So..... I am sending the shock back to TF Tuned who are happy to give me a refund and we are working on 'other' possible options.

It is a real shame as I have been for 3 rides with the new coil shock on and compared to the standard air shock the new coil shock in my opinion is far superior especially on the terrain I ride :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

View attachment 9353

Was this issue only for the DB Coil IL?

Im running the DB Coil CS and wondering if that issue you brought up is the same for my model.

When I talked to CC, they definitely said not the IL, but the CS was ok. That was waay back in November. I literally just received my shock and coil 2 weeks ago or so and haven't ridden it yet due to the fun weather here lately. Thanks.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
The Coil CS is fine as long as it has the thicker shock shaft on it.

Please see the photo below of my CC Double Barrel. This has the newer, thicker 9.5mm shaft on it. The older CC DB coil shocks had an 8mm shaft. When I say older, I mean 2 to 3 or possibly 4 years ago.

The CC Inline has an 8mm shaft which is why CC are nervous as they believe the leverage action of the Levo and Stumpjumper suspension will be too much for the 8mm shaft to handle. I suspect they may have had a recent a failure or two :eek:.

2FB1CB24-AFF2-4BF9-B94A-0FB56BED0829.jpeg

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
The Coil CS is fine as long as it has the thicker shock shaft on it.

Please see the photo below of my CC Double Barrel. This has the newer, thicker 9.5mm shaft on it. The older CC DB coil shocks had an 8mm shaft. When I say older, I mean 2 to 3 or possibly 4 years ago.

The CC Inline has an 8mm shaft which is why CC are nervous as they believe the leverage action of the Levo and Stumpjumper suspension will be too much for the 8mm shaft to handle. I suspect they may have had a recent a failure or two :eek:.

View attachment 11281

Thank you sir! Got the newer one as it was just received...took like 90 days to get it. Im running the VALT Spring at 600lbs. First real test will be this week I hope.

Thanks for the quick response. Thought I was going to have to find an alternative. Been away from the forums for a while and was just catching up on a few reads last night.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Did CC give you the ok on that one? I think it would be fine either way but nice if they actually said it was, they were pretty cagey with me on the phone a few months back. With the weight of the bike did you go up in weight with the spring?
Any chance you’d post the specifications you used so those of us interested could order?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles