2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Jacadventure

Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
Hello,
Just for information, it seems that on the Levo 2019, a pile of earth (mud) and leaves is deposited in the engine cover (see photo). Specialized prepares a foam to overcome this defect. In the meantime and for the sake of caution, perhaps take a look at your bike to clean and dry this area.
That this does not spoil the pleasure of riding on this terrible machine ...

00E44294-71C8-4F93-A78C-3E1789BAEF1E.jpeg

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
2019! No doubt, it is better in almost every way.
However the 2018 is a great bike as well, just the 19 is better
During the weekend I testrode both levos 2019 and 2018 one right after the other one. For some reasons I felt better on 2018. May be it was just the difference in wheel size. I simply like 27,5+ more. Felt more agile. Do you thing that 2019 with 27,5+ ( LBS would swap wheels for the same price) will still be better bike than 2018? Isn't the main difference between 2018 and 2019 just in the wheel size and most people just prefer faster bike?
I am just confused, that according to this forum I should definitely like 2019'model more, but I just did not...
I know, it just spent short time on those bikes, but still...

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
Last Friday I got back my Levo from dealer with the new motor, case and sponge. Wow...the motor is absolutely silent now! It's a little more noisy than 2018 to stay 100% objective, but really nothing to care about. The new case is perfectly fit now and the sponge looks like doing its job. Yesterday a lot of mud, but I didn't find debris jammed inside, therefore just cleaned with washer...I'm not sure if mounting something as a shelter makes any difference now, apart from aestethical point of view...

20181124_104326-jpg.14898

20181124_102905-jpg.14900

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Last Friday I got back my Levo from dealer with the new motor, case and sponge. Wow...the motor is absolutely silent now! It's a little more noisy than 2018 to stay 100% objective, but really nothing to care about. The new case is perfectly fit now and the sponge looks like doing its job. Yesterday a lot of mud, but I didn't find debris jammed inside, therefore just cleaned with washer...I'm not sure if mounting something as a shelter makes any difference now, apart from aestethical point of view...

20181124_104326-jpg.14898

20181124_102905-jpg.14900
Thanks for sharing! I am waiting for the same mods as well. However not all required parts have been received by my dealer yet.

Can you please share the photos once more? I guess something went wrong with your post.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
I have the exact same colour. Is this the xl frame size? I am asking while I read comments of others that were linking the louder motor noise to the frame size as well. Did you now also receive the four bolt cover? I can't see it on the pictures as the extra bolt should be positioned right behind the crank.

This is the M size. I received also the new frame with 4 bolts...you are right the 4th is hidden behing the crank...sorry:) but also the frame is really more tight and follows better the line than the original one.

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I will try to keep this short...
I prepared the sponge and took it to my LBS since they had offered to install it for me before taking delivery of the bike, this is of course a well known issue and the service manager showed me the service buletin that they got with the complete instructions, my bike was the first one that they installed the sponge to and only because Iinsisted thanks to this grat forum! After the first ride that same day (before installing the rear fender) I noticed how the dirt collected between the frame and the chainstay as others have explained.
When I installed the mudhugger I decided to remove the air from the rear shock and cycle the suspension tho check for interferences, that is when I was very surprised to see the gap and no traces of the sponge! So on Saturday after the second ride Idecided to stop at the LBS to have a little chat, they assured my that they had installed the sponge and even showed me pictures and explained the whole procedure wich apparently was quite involving.
So Iremoved the cover when I got home and what Ifound was that the sponge was quite loose inside and out of position and that there was some crap already in the motor area. After thinking it over for a little while and understanding how the sponge is supposed to work I installed it again and after a few trys I thin I got it right, I also added a small piece of foam to secure it in place between the sponge and a support. It is worth noticing that you need somebody with thin fingers to make the installation easier. here are a few pictures on how it looks. As a note I kept the suspension at almost full travel so that I also had access to the gap to see that the sponge was fitted properly and to help position it, of course there was no air in the rear shock! to avoid any risk of loosing a finger...

20181125_135322.jpg

20181125_135635.jpg

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Are the new motor covers with the 4 bolt pattern going to fit or will they give us new frames like the previous person just posted? Is Specialized going to contact people that just gave them all this money, or will they just rely on the fact that most customers just wont find out and will therefore have to ride with motors and frames full of dirt, stones, leaves and sticks? The previous post says the Specialized sponge recall fix can come loose. Is the new motor cover available to dealers now already and how does it fit?

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Hello,
Just for information, it seems that on the Levo 2019, a pile of earth (mud) and leaves is deposited in the engine cover (see photo). Specialized prepares a foam to overcome this defect. In the meantime and for the sake of caution, perhaps take a look at your bike to clean and dry this area.

View attachment 8128
Hello,

View attachment 8128
So now we know why there is a drain hole in the bottom.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
This is the M size. I received also the new frame with 4 bolts...you are right the 4th is hidden behing the crank...sorry:) but also the frame is really more tight and follows better the line than the original one.
So because of this recall, Specialized will give us a new frame also? Thats great they did that for you, guess the new 2019 Levo ebikes are not supposed to have rocks, sticks and other added junk compressed into the motor. That is good news that Specialized is providing new frames that don’t collect all that and are also stiffer in design. Does anyone know what makes the new replacement frame stiffer?

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
So because of this recall, Specialized will give us a new frame also? Thats great they did that for you, guess the new 2019 Levo ebikes are not supposed to have rocks, sticks and other added junk compressed into the motor. That is good news that Specialized is providing new frames that don’t collect all that and are also stiffer in design. Does anyone know what makes the new replacement frame stiffer?

As far as I know and I was told, and from my direct experience here in Italy, your Specialized dealer will contact you with a phone call, and tell you that your noisy motor is ready for change. Of course, for saving your time and theirs, they will also change the cover and add the sponge. If you are not one of the unlucky guys who received a noisy motor, your dealer will contact you AFTER all the unlucky guys will have theyr motor changed. The priority is the motor. After that, they covers. See below one pic of the new cover with the 4 bolts, and the sponge.
Of course from the pic you cannot see how the cover is, but I can grant you is really stiffer and tighter expecially below follows perfectly the profile without leaving egdes or notches. REgarding the sponge, it does the dirty job, it closes up the full hole, I don't know why they didn't close it all from design as the 2018, but I suppose the new motor needs some more air flow.

20181127_085019.jpg
20181127_085032.jpg

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
As far as I know and I was told, and from my direct experience here in Italy, your Specialized dealer will contact you with a phone call, and tell you that your noisy motor is ready for change. Of course, for saving your time and theirs, they will also change the cover and add the sponge. If you are not one of the unlucky guys who received a noisy motor, your dealer will contact you AFTER all the unlucky guys will have theyr motor changed. The priority is the motor. After that, they covers. See below one pic of the new cover with the 4 bolts, and the sponge.
Of course from the pic you cannot see how the cover is, but I can grant you is really stiffer and tighter expecially below follows perfectly the profile without leaving egdes or notches. REgarding the sponge, it does the dirty job, it closes up the full hole, I don't know why they didn't close it all from design as the 2018, but I suppose the new motor needs some more air flow.

View attachment 8209 View attachment 8210
Looks like you are very well informed about Specialized, have you heard something about price increasing of levos in Europe from the beginning of 2019?

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
Looks like you are very well informed about Specialized, have you heard something about price increasing of levos in Europe from the beginning of 2019?

What I know, I know from the information the dealer shares with, which comes from Milan (the official Specialized Centre), and from the experience of other owners. I don't know about any price change...sorry

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
During the weekend I testrode both levos 2019 and 2018 one right after the other one. For some reasons I felt better on 2018. May be it was just the difference in wheel size. I simply like 27,5+ more. Felt more agile. Do you thing that 2019 with 27,5+ ( LBS would swap wheels for the same price) will still be better bike than 2018? Isn't the main difference between 2018 and 2019 just in the wheel size and most people just prefer faster bike?
I am just confused, that according to this forum I should definitely like 2019'model more, but I just did not...
I know, it just spent short time on those bikes, but still...

Its about which is the best bike for you, on paper there are lots of good bikes, but if you don't like riding them then they are not the right bike for you.

Its very hard to get a feel for a bike, other than sizing, from a quick test ride. There are lots of changes between the models, but to keep it simple the main advantages of the new 2019 Levo are the more powerful motor, more up to date geometry, and that it comes in approximately between 2 and 3kg lighter than the equivalent 2018 models. Of course there is also the bigger battery option on the top spec models too.

I think a lot of the time the fact the 2019 is a 29'r gets overlooked in comparissons - on any bike the difference between a 29'r and a 27.5 version is going to be a big effect on the way it rides, and i suspect from what you are saying that you prefer the 27.5 over the 29, as this from a quick test ride would in my opinion be the main difference you would pick up on from a short time on the bike.

Personally i would see if you can get a 2019, and rather than having the wheels swapped out to 27.5, see if you can get a deal on them including an extra set of 27.5 wheels with it.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
Its about which is the best bike for you, on paper there are lots of good bikes, but if you don't like riding them then they are not the right bike for you.

Its very hard to get a feel for a bike, other than sizing, from a quick test ride. There are lots of changes between the models, but to keep it simple the main advantages of the new 2019 Levo are the more powerful motor, more up to date geometry, and that it comes in approximately between 2 and 3kg lighter than the equivalent 2018 models. Of course there is also the bigger battery option on the top spec models too.

I think a lot of the time the fact the 2019 is a 29'r gets overlooked in comparissons - on any bike the difference between a 29'r and a 27.5 version is going to be a big effect on the way it rides, and i suspect from what you are saying that you prefer the 27.5 over the 29, as this from a quick test ride would in my opinion be the main difference you would pick up on from a short time on the bike.

Personally i would see if you can get a 2019, and rather than having the wheels swapped out to 27.5, see if you can get a deal on them including an extra set of 27.5 wheels with it.
Exactly, I am probably only comparing wheel sizes between 2018 and 2019 models, and thus do not see other benefits of 2019. On the other hand, from this forum I see that many people that were used to 27,5+ on previous mtb got used to 29' and love it... If I did not have very good deal on 2018 I would just buy 2019 and try to get used to it. Have couple more days to decide☺ thank you for your opinion

vannibombonato

Sep 14, 2018
italy
Hi all,
i'm trying to install the sponge i've just made, but i'm not clear on how to reach the position on "the back" where the sponge should be fitted.

I have removed the carter via unscrewing the three screws, but the back side is still covered by a plate, am i supposed to remove something else on top of the carter?

Thanks

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho

Did you loose any tire clearance?

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho

Nice to know they are calling everyone. Do you believe that?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles