2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
Did anyone install the mudguards someone posted before?
Is was a link to bike-components website and the mudguard was called „ mudhugger front fender“. One in short for front and one long for rear wheel.

Thanks.

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Did anyone install the mudguards someone posted before?
Is was a link to bike-components website and the mudguard was called „ mudhugger front fender“. One in short for front and one long for rear wheel.

Thanks.
I have installed the short version on the rear wheel. You have to drill some additonal holes, then it fits really well. But as I mentioned above there's not much room left between tyre and fender. Can post a pic on Wednesday if you want (not at home right now).

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
I have installed the short version on the rear wheel. You have to drill some additonal holes, then it fits really well. But as I mentioned above there's not much room left between tyre and fender. Can post a pic on Wednesday if you want (not at home right now).
okay, thanks for info.
yes post some pics please, thanks!
yeah but if the wheel can run smoothly, not much room is fine ?

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Thanks, well pleased with it.

The Burgtec finished kit was just fitted by RaceCo and is just extra Burgtec bars, pedals, stem etc. I stuck with the 50mm stem length rather than going shorter.

Yes the bike had an invisiframe kit fitted for protection. Well recommended!

Hope your pleased with yours in Dec!
Cheers Matt - I just found out it's coming this week :eek:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Flipped it over to insert battery and just thought I'd show you the drainage home. It's almost blocked. 4 rides in.
20181105_105911.jpeg

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
If someone is receiving a new version with production foam in, please report about dirt getting in the motor case.

Unspecialized

Oct 2, 2018
9991a$$
Flipped it over to insert battery and just thought I'd show you the drainage home. It's almost blocked. 4 rides in. View attachment 7267
I totally wonder that not more people are obset about this hole on the bottom.
It is pretty large, I would say around 1cm in diameter.
How can this be not a design flaw? It seems obvious that dirt and water find gheir way to the motor. Just imagine crossing a small river/creek and the bottom dips into the water. Doesn‘t that harm the motor??

What‘s the purpose of the hole? Maybe let water inside the case running out and/or heat regulation?
I always thougt the motorcase is a waterproof enclosure, at least IP65 rated.

Please somebody may explain, why this is not completely disapointing.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The hole is a drain hole for water to get out, if it gets in. The thing about the motor cover for the Levo, is its kind of a hybrid bash guard/motor cover. My vitus has a bash guard that pretty tightly integrated to the motor covers, and has a similar hole to allow any water that gets in there to drain out.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Flipped it over to insert battery and just thought I'd show you the drainage home. It's almost blocked. 4 rides in. View attachment 7267
You really need to take the side covers off and fit the ‘temp foam fix’ dude
I am positive you will find a huge amount of crap underneath those covers now.
I'm not doing anything dude. If I mess with it they can always say I've created the problem. Spesh have categorically said it's fine, ride it like you've stole it, it's ok. So I'm going by that. There's nothing in the user manual saying you need to clear crap out etc. And whilst it might look bad... I'm sure it'll be ok. Cuz they said so. If it's not, it's not my fault.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I'm not doing anything dude. If I mess with it they can always say I've created the problem. Spesh have categorically said it's fine, ride it like you've stole it, it's ok. So I'm going by that. There's nothing in the user manual saying you need to clear crap out etc. And whilst it might look bad... I'm sure it'll be ok. Cuz they said so. If it's not, it's not my fault.

Up to you dude, All I can advise is if this hole is not plugged... you, me, @Specialized Rider Care and everyone else with a 2019 Levo is in for a very long, painful warranty claim period for Autumn and the up and coming Winter months though to Spring and beyond.

I have personally experienced the water, mud, pine needle ingress issues on my 2017 Levo. It took 3 months of wet weather before the motor died on me due to mud and moisture building up around the motor plug connection and just sitting there for a long period without it being removed as I was unaware it needed to be removed......due to lack of information about the problem. This was with a hole substantially smaller than the huge 'gap' on the 2019. See the first photo below of my 2017. This was caused by a hole that was around 2cm x 1.5cm. The 2019 is much bigger :eek:

The hole on the 2019 is not really visible because the swingarm covers it and this is why some people do not think it is a problem. Also the hole is not really exposed until the rear suspension starts 'doing its thing' and moves through its 150mm of travel. As the suspension compresses all the crap pours in through the hole and this is why you see huge bits of debris under the motor covers as the hole is a 'monster' compared to the 2017 or 2018.

To see this 'monster'..... if you turn your bike upside down, remove your rear wheel and let all the air out of your rear shock you will be able to push down on the swing arm chainstays to compress the rear shock until it bottoms out.

When the rear shock bottoms out you will see just how big this 'monster' of a hole is and why I will not be riding my 2019 anywhere until I have plugged it with the @Specialized Rider Care recommended fix as I am not going to go through what I experienced with my 2017 again.

I recommend that the @Specialized Rider Care team should create and publish a maintenance care plan for your 2019 Levo and also previous Levo/Kenevo models so your LBS can inform owners at the point of sale regarding what tasks you, as an owner, need to carry out to keep your bike functioning as it should.

Electrics do not like the damp, its a fact :(, remember, you cannot stop water ingress on an IP56 rated device, you can only divert around it. In regards to leaves, pine needles and thick mud, the proposed fix should work just fine as it will filter out the 'big bits' and in theory only let filtered albeit a bit murky water though. I carried out a very similar fix on my 2017 in May this year and I can happily confrim it works (y)

003.JPG

Gap 001.jpg

Gap 002.jpg

Gap 003.jpg

Mathias Levo

Nov 2, 2018
Colchester
Forgive my ignorance as I've not followed the thread from the beginning but could this be avoided/helped by installing the mucky nuts or some other garud as some people have done?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Forgive my ignorance as I've not followed the thread from the beginning but could this be avoided/helped by installing the mucky nuts or some other garud as some people have done?
Agreed,
However, the tyre clearance is very tight compared to the 2017/2018 models due to the 2019 using 29er tyres so I am not keen on that option as the terrain where I ride can get a bit gravelly and stones/rocks will get caught between the guard and tyre.

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
I installed a mudhugger front fender sized large along with the foam. The mudhugger needed to be cut as i wasn't aware of the movement in the suspension, this resulted in a 1 1/2 inch gap which was covered with a piece of innertube allowing enough slack for suspension travel. Lol at the fools who watch it happen
could you take some pics please and show us? :)

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Does anybody knows if the light output from the brose mag s is the same as previouse brose (6v, enabled by spec)?

In German you are able to find the information here:

Turbo Levo – Help Center Specialized Germany GmbH

Turbo Levo 2.1 Motor

Lichtmontage

• 2 Lichtports
  • Output: 12V/24W, 2A max.
  • Verkabelung bei Carbon und Aluminium Rahmen unterschiedlich. Die Öffnung im Oberrohr beim Aluminiumrahmen muss modifiziert werden, im Carbon Rahmen ist genug Patz
  • Kabelverlegung durch Oberrohr und Sidearm
  • Rücklicht nicht empfohlen da kein richtiger Ausgang für das Kabel vorgesehen ist

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Update on this one: I checked with our product team and the factory sponge is just as easy to retrofit. Sorry for adding confusion, I've edited my original post above. The sponge we use in the factory has a small hole through the middle to keep it in place between the motor inserts during the assembly process. Once the bike is fully assembled there is negligible difference to using the cut-out vs factory part.

View attachment 7005
This will do the job, PPI looks simular 15-20?

Screenshot (103).png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles