2019 Specialized Kenevo Expert - First Look

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Check out the new colour way for 2019. Looks great in the flesh, a real fresh paint scheme. Subtle, classy with a nice contrasting red decal set. No change in spec for 2019, based on the excellent performing 2018 Kenevo, with 180mm front and rear travel, excellent Brose 1.3 motor, Rockshox Lyric fork and Ohlins coil rear, SRAM Guide RE brakes and SRAM GX mech and shifters.

DSCF6394-2.jpg

DSCF6376-4.jpg

DSCF6381-2.jpg

DSCF6384-2.jpg

DSCF6390-2.jpg

DSCF6391-2.jpg

DSCF6392-2.jpg

DSCF6393-2.jpg

DSCF6377.jpg

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Not looked closely at these , but is that the modes controlled on the side of the downtube ? I can’t see anything on the handlebars ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Not looked closely at these , but is that the modes controlled on the side of the downtube ? I can’t see anything on the handlebars ?
All Levo and Kenevo from 2018 on have a small remote on the left hand side that allows you to change mode. You can also change on the downtube if you like losing control of your bike!

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I would get the new 2019 Kenevo much based on the color scheme - it's absolutely beautiful; hope the new Turbo Levos also come out with nice paint schemes like that - not the boring blacks - a color poorly visible in the evening, so a safety concern.

I was intending to get a Turbo Levo Fsr Comp, but for mostly road/flat trails - do you think the Kenevo won't work well for me if all I want to do is ride mostly flats, and a some hills?

Would the additional suspension on the Kenevo hinder me on the flats?

I should mention because of my non-functioning left leg, I need to ALWAYS be siting on the saddle - can never stand up on the pedals to absorb the vibrations of the bike over more difficult paths (actually fell and destroyed on my first outing a carbon bike - Carbon Diverge - when I lost control as a result of the vibrations on the bike as I was climbing from the road onto the curb of the sidewalk).

The thing is that I can only pedal with 1 leg - don't have quadricepts on my left leg - so I can't pedal/push with that leg. So I thought of the e-mtb; - electric assistance; but if I choose the new blue Kenevo - with the suspension in front and the Ohlins suspension in back for me be too much on flat pavement?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Sophie,

I was intending to get a Turbo Levo Fsr Comp, but for mostly road/flat trails - do you think the Kenevo won't work well for me if all I want to do is ride mostly flats, and a some hills?
Yes it would work very well indeed. However for what you ride the Levo would be better. It's a little bit lighter and the geometry is more suited to it. Thats not to say the Kenevo couldn't do it.

As you have a motor not as much as you'd be hindered if it were a regular bike. Its actually really comfortable to ride on the flat.

I should mention because of my non-functioning left leg, I need to ALWAYS be siting on the saddle - can never stand up on the pedals to absorb the vibrations of the bike over more difficult paths (actually fell and destroyed on my first outing a carbon bike - Carbon Diverge - when I lost control as a result of the vibrations on the bike as I was climbing from the road onto the curb of the sidewalk).

The thing is that I can only pedal with 1 leg - don't have quadricepts on my left leg - so I can't pedal/push with that leg. So I thought of the e-mtb; - electric assistance; but if I choose the new blue Kenevo - with the suspension in front and the Ohlins suspension in back for me be too much on flat pavement?
@Stumpy may be able to chime in here, I know his Levo has been great to support his riding. As far as the suspension being too much, I don't think it is too much suspension that it will be a hinderance. Are you able to get a test ride on one at all? Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I would get the new 2019 Kenevo much based on the color scheme - it's absolutely beautiful; hope the new Turbo Levos also come out with nice paint schemes like that - not the boring blacks - a color poorly visible in the evening, so a safety concern.

Getting a bike with more suspension travel may very well turn out to be an advantage for you. You can ride faster over obstacles like rocks, roots, stairs, sidewalk curbs without having to stand up on the bike. The Levo might be a tad more nimble, the Kenevo should offer more comfort. I haven't ridden these two bikes though, so I'm just assuming.

On a side note. Do you lack all 4 muscles of the quadriceps? I'm guessing it would be an advantage to ride clipped in (clipless pedals). It will allow your left leg to contribute a bit by lifting the pedal at the end of the rotation, and your right leg can work through most of the pedal rotation. But you may know more than me about this.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Kenevo is over 2kg heavier, and the extra suspension is of no benefit unless you are using it for full on DH/Enduro riding. You need to look at the kinematics of the suspension, and i suspect, that the Levo is probably better for small bump absorption/chatter, which i think would be of most benefit. It sounds like the smoothest ride, and the stablest peddling platform would be of most benefit.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The Kenevo is over 2kg heavier, and the extra suspension is of no benefit unless you are using it for full on DH/Enduro riding. You need to look at the kinematics of the suspension, and i suspect, that the Levo is probably better for small bump absorption/chatter, which i think would be of most benefit. It sounds like the smoothest ride, and the stablest peddling platform would be of most benefit.
Good advice and if you look at tests of the bikes with full enduro geometry like the kinevo the trade off is a lack of precision with low speed handling , hence it’s actually harder to ride on tight corners and small low speed technical situations . The ride of the levo especially if they are still on the fat tyres will be more comfy on what it’s intended for .

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
There are lots of reasons to chose the shorter travel bike for easy riding. But we don't know what Sophie plan to ride, and how the disability is affecting her riding. Based on my experience with other long travel ebikes I wouldn't dismiss the Kenevo just yet.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Good advice and if you look at tests of the bikes with full enduro geometry like the kinevo the trade off is a lack of precision with low speed handling , hence it’s actually harder to ride on tight corners and small low speed technical situations . The ride of the levo especially if they are still on the fat tyres will be more comfy on what it’s intended for .

Having ridden Levo & Kenevo extensively I actually think the Kenevo could suit what Sophie is looking for. It's really relaxed. You can bump it up curbs much easier than the Levo for example. Its comfortable, plush, slack and easy to ride. Even in tight situations.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I guess the answer is to try them both , I wasn’t really commenting on the travel , travel is irrelevant in the intended use here , it’s about which geometry Sophie would find easiest to ride which is best decided by riding them both , especially considering she has to stay seated , which I presume also removes the option of using the dropper post .
I just thought a shorter travel bike set up really soft for comfort is less likely to sag into a state where the geo makes up hill and slow riding more difficult . Just my thoughts and something I notice from the feedback I get from my wife when she has ridden my enduro bike being used to the easy responses of a normal geo hardtail .
It also depends on rider size a small rider on a size small bike will find trail geo much easier to use and easier to pedal , my daughter riding at her level still finds a trail geo ,all be it a very slack trail geo on a giant trance , easier to ride than a full on enduro , and her lighter wieght makes using more than 150 travel pointless . What feels plush and great to a medium to large bloke can feel like hard work to a smaller girl . However not knowing what size bike Sophie needs could make my comments irrelevant

cricker

May 22, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I just rode both bikes across 3 hours at a demo day in Sydney on very technical single track decent and climb, a bunch of flat flowy single track with tech sections and basic firetrail.

I did multiple laps on both kenevo and comp expert Levo.

I’m coming from a Giant Trance 27.5 XL 140mm front and back for some context.

I’m looking for a do it all bike, that will handle my mtb commute every day and provide for all other outings.

I’m 6’4 with 91cm inseam and I thought the XL levo was spot on. The XL kenevo I thought, mmm maybe a bit big but did a couple more laps with a large and then the XL again and felt more centred in the cockpit on XL for final impression.

Could manual the kenevo and Levo fine. Kenevo was easier. Bunny hop was fine, but after multiple hours my forearms are very sore. You do notice after the ride how much extra body strength is required to shift the bikes around as normally would. Not noticeable whilst riding as you having fun.

The levo was very fast and confidently manouvered on the flowy single track. I felt really quick on it.

Kenevo didn’t feel as fast on flowy songletrack and I had to calculate corners a little more at speed. Especially really tight ones.

However looking at my times they were practically both spot on even, so it’s more illusion about how quick you feel.

Took a little bit more practice to climb tech stuff on kenevo but it never wasn’t able to do the same climbs. Just felt like a little more effort pushing forward with arms to get up steep tech. Didn’t phase me at all though .

The descents on the kenevo feel really planted. Especially the rear, just soaks it up. Launching waterbars was hilarious, can pump and smash our way to much air without concern.

Levo was nimble on decent. Rear is a little more lively but does the job still.

Overall didn’t see any issue with going Kenevo as it handles everything well and offers up more scenarios of riding.

Flat stuff was best on kenevo. Soaks it up with glee

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I love the way they have used the colour to minimise the appearance of the motor baulk I am almost tempted to trade in my levo for that kenevo

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Hi Sophie,

Yes it would work very well indeed. However for what you ride the Levo would be better. It's a little bit lighter and the geometry is more suited to it. Thats not to say the Kenevo couldn't do it.

As you have a motor not as much as you'd be hindered if it were a regular bike. Its actually really comfortable to ride on the flat.

@Stumpy may be able to chime in here, I know his Levo has been great to support his riding. As far as the suspension being too much, I don't think it is too much suspension that it will be a hinderance. Are you able to get a test ride on one at all? Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Thanks for the tag @Rob Hancill

Hi @Sophie777 , as Rob alludes to, I have a similar problem being a below knee amuptee and also can't stand on the pedals and need to be seated at all times. In addition, I can only ride clipped in as this ensures my prosthetic foot stays attached to the pedal - I guess you do too, to enable you to 'pull' the crank up on your good side to complete the upstroke?

I've owned my Levo for just over a week (and done over 150 miles on it so far) and it has been life changing, literally, in my ability to cycle further and faster, especially uphill where not being able to get out of the seat and stand on the pedals to give that extra push meant it was previously really hard work (and usually meant using the 'granny' ring and getting to the top very slowly) - however, those days are over and with the e-assist, like an able bodied rider, hills are the new flats, they no longer present a problem - the e-bike really is a leveller and you will find with the 'boost' of your choice you can keep up and compete with anyone (if you choose to do so).

In regards to the suspension (and your question about Levo vs. Kenevo), personally, I find the Levo allows me to ride over anything I want without jarring my body, it simply soaks it all up (my previous bike was a hard tail and the rear suspension on the Levo makes a world of difference) meaning I can ride over logs, rocks, steps, tree stumps etc. without any problems regardless of whether it is uphill, downhill or on the flat.

Importantly though (and as you asked), my daily ride is a 15mile or so circuit from home on the normal road for about 2 miles, into the woods and then another 2 or so mile ride home on the road and the Levo's suspension (I've got an S-Works with Ohlins up front and Rockshox rear) is perfect for all conditions - I don't even bother locking out the suspension on the tarmac as I find it a comfort when riding over drains, manholes, potholes etc. on the road.

That all said, I've never ridden a Kenevo and therefore couldn't compare the two.

I've read the other comments and there is loads of good advice but ultimately it will come down to how extreme you want to ride and your personal preference.

Please let me know if you want to know anymore detail, I'd love to help out if I can...

Last edited:

RobbieJay

Jun 21, 2018
Scotland
I love the way they have used the colour to minimise the appearance of the motor baulk I am almost tempted to trade in my levo for that kenevo

Yea I agree. That's why I started a thread looking for vinyl that could do a similar job for my bike. I've noticed that most aluminium frames get the this black cover around the top part of the motor housing that minimises the bulk. They do it on the alloy Levos too.

I found a French company that has vinyls for £6 that I think transform a Carbon motor mount area to look exactly like this, just waiting for a reply from them. I posted it in the decal thread.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Now, that we know there will be the new Brose-S-Mag motor for the 2019 models, this sentence from the Kenevo Expert 2019 makes me wondering: "No change in spec for 2019". If not in the Kenevo Expert - what model will get it then? Or do they mean "no change in specs, just the motor"? Damn, i'm just not very good in "waiting"...

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Well there is also no indication that spesh will,adopt the new motor there are other bikes that use brose

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I guess what we don’t know is how long have the bike brands have had access to the motor before it was announced - I would assume the likes of Specialized have probably known if it for at least a year, and had prototypes to play with for quite a while

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Thank you so much to Rob Hancill, knut7, R120, Kernow, cricker, Stumpy, for your informative comments. I apologize if I missed anyone.
At one moment I am leaning towards the Kenevo, the next the Levo...

As some of you pointed out, given I need to remain seated and can't stand - a plusher suspension may make it easier and more comfortable to go over sidewalk curbs and other small obstacles.

To knut7, yes I lack all 4 quadriceps muscles left leg. I also lack 50% of my psoas/iliopsoas on the same side - so my hip flexion strength is about 50% normal.
On a normal bike (I guess I'll be doing the same on an e-bike), I push the pedal with my right leg; I do use whatever strength I have in my left leg to lift the pedal at the end of the rotation.

To Stumpy, you are not the first to suggest clipless pedals. But I use flat pedals - I am afraid if I need to unclip my foot to break a fall - I wouldn't be able to because of the limited function and control of my leg.

I'll let you guys know which bike I finally choose - thinking Kenevo right now :)

RobbieJay

Jun 21, 2018
Scotland
Well there is also no indication that spesh will,adopt the new motor there are other bikes that use brose

True...
But if they have, this will be a big leap forward to the Levo as the new motors are:
15% Smaller
500g lighter
30% more powerful
Added features and brose display.

That means lighter bikes, more powerful bikes and a chassis redesign to account for the smaller motor.
If spesh adopt the new motor we could be in for a huge surprise, if not next year could be fun!

I personally would like to see them refine the design, battery, spec, software, app, firmware then do a huge upgrade next year (2020) with the new frame design, new motor, updated firmware, updated battery, updated app!

That would be a worthwhile upgrade :)

@Rob Hancill
Next time you go to that bike shop, do you fancy asking them if they will start selling those cool bike stands :)

Last edited:

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
I guess what we don’t know is how long have the bike brands have had access to the motor before it was announced
Several bikes with this motor will certainly be announced at Eurobike. It will be counterproductive to present a motor without a bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thats my point, same as with the Shimano e7000, they launch the tec just before Eurobike when the first bikes are presented with it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles