2019 Specialized Kenevo Expert - First Look

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
To Stumpy, you are not the first to suggest clipless pedals. But I use flat pedals - I am afraid if I need to unclip my foot to break a fall - I wouldn't be able to because of the limited function and control of my leg.

Understood @Sophie777 - Just in case you're interested, I use these, they are 0 degree float which basically means you only need to turn your foot a minimal amount to unclip, which for me, not having an ankle joint, is ideal and enables me to unclip without any issues. They also allow you to clip in on any of the 4 sides so there is no problem with locating your foot/pedal.

Good luck with whatever you choose and happy riding!

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
On a normal bike (I guess I'll be doing the same on an e-bike), I push the pedal with my right leg; I do use whatever strength I have in my left leg to lift the pedal at the end of the rotation.
That's a point where an adapted motor could be very interesting. Use your "good" leg more or less normaly and the motor produces most of its effort on the other part of the movement. In the end we could have a perfectly smooth and linear result.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I would get the new 2019 Kenevo much based on the color scheme - it's absolutely beautiful; hope the new Turbo Levos also come out with nice paint schemes like that - not the boring blacks - a color poorly visible in the evening, so a safety concern.

I was intending to get a Turbo Levo Fsr Comp, but for mostly road/flat trails - do you think the Kenevo won't work well for me if all I want to do is ride mostly flats, and a some hills?

Would the additional suspension on the Kenevo hinder me on the flats?

I should mention because of my non-functioning left leg, I need to ALWAYS be siting on the saddle - can never stand up on the pedals to absorb the vibrations of the bike over more difficult paths (actually fell and destroyed on my first outing a carbon bike - Carbon Diverge - when I lost control as a result of the vibrations on the bike as I was climbing from the road onto the curb of the sidewalk).

The thing is that I can only pedal with 1 leg - don't have quadricepts on my left leg - so I can't pedal/push with that leg. So I thought of the e-mtb; - electric assistance; but if I choose the new blue Kenevo - with the suspension in front and the Ohlins suspension in back for me be too much on flat pavement?
I couldn’t agree more. The only reason I chose a black Kenevo over Cali Fade is that it would be easier to sell when the time came for a new one

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Is there a handlebar display that can be added to this. If so is it Bluetooth or will it require wiring ?

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
Is there a handlebar display that can be added to this. If so is it Bluetooth or will it require wiring ?
I use it with my Garmin, there is an app for it which can then be used as a datafield for levo/kenevo which shows battery and mode etc, works really well

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
I use it with my Garmin, there is an app for it which can then be used as a datafield for levo/kenevo which shows battery and mode etc, works really well
Ok cool ... is it poss for you too upload a pic of the Garmin attached to the handlebar of your bike .. just want to see size ... I take it it's Bluetooth

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Could you also tell us, if you know, which app?

Specialized Turbo Levo Data Field

1532340669325.png

Allysnell

Sep 16, 2018
Winchester
Thanks once again for great information!
Hi Sophie I've just bought the kenevo to basically do everything from commuting to doing downhill. I have found it flattens out the hills nicely, gives excellent power on the trails and certain soaks up any limps and bumps. With a thought to the clip no clip situation could you ride a flat on tour weak side and clip on your good side? Set properly clips are easy to get out of for someone with normal leg power and they allow you to put down power on the upstroke too. This may help to keep the pedal pushed up under the weaker side foot to stabilise your foothold and balance. You could always switch out to flats on both sides for proper off roady stuff. Just my thoughts for what it's worth.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
First time poster! I will post up a ride review of my 2019 Kenevo Expert in one of these threads soon, but I wanted to pass some info that I had confirmed by Specialized and a suspension tuner:

The 2019 Expert does actually come with the RCT3 version of the Lyrik fork with both the debonair air spring AND the Charger 2 damper. I was curious and asked around. It's a great fork so far! Just an FYI

Lew

Nov 8, 2018
South Africa
Can someone please tell me the difference between a kenevo comp and expert?I know the 2018 model has the new 1.3 motor and 504w battery but are there any other parts or groupsets on these bikes.In sa there is the green and black or stealth black clour frames and all have the sram gx groupset on.Maby the spec people here dont know the bikes from one another.We just get told kenevo and thats that.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Comp has smaller motor and battery. Comp has SLX/XT not sram, comp forks are yari not lyrik, shock is fox not ohlins.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Comp has smaller motor and battery. Comp has SLX/XT not sram, comp forks are yari not lyrik, shock is fox not ohlins.
Expert has 2.8 Butcher tires, the comp has 2.6
The Expert has SRAM Code brakes, the comp has SRAM guide RE brakes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles