2019 (not 20!) Keveno first ride/bolt check & motor feel to E8000

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
First ride impressions from an inept muppet who shouldn't be on a bike .. Very quick shakedown (impatient).. work trousers tucked in sock, no armour .. just a check and feel. No conclusive comparisons .. but the words of a crazy person comparing an e8000 hard tail with a Kenevo (if you don't want to read on - they're quite different).

K6.jpg

Nothing really adjusted so this really was just a quick first impressions.

So .. FIRST impression .. it's heavy .. bedded the brakes in going down hill from the house .. motor assist wouldn't work at all, so pedal back home without it..

Power off, power on as I couldn't find anything else wrong and that fixed it .. now if only I'd just done that at the bottom of the hill ..

Continued my 7k ride .. 23 minutes .. average 18kph . 232m elevation. That's with the no assist ride up a hill included.

Felt really nice !! really really nice ... even if you just want to plod along and want to treat yourself to a crazy bike .. A Kenevo is just as happy plodding as ploughing !

Did three other short climbs .. one two minute hill - 10 seconds slower than my fastest E8000 HT time. Three minute hill - 10 seconds slower than fastest E8000 HT time. 80 second hill - exactly the same as my fastest E8000 time. So all in, they're pretty comparable.. at a rough guess I'd say the brose was slightly faster as I wasn't going full heart attack at it and that's just on whatever the factory settings are.

Going down, just been a storm so several trees and branches down and no armour so no stupid downhill (need to go out tonight with the chainsaw).. plodded down a red and again .. it felt nice ! reassuring and so so so so much easier to keep your damned feet on the pedals on the rough stuff with suspension ..

Motor is silent, which is a bit weird after the old remote controlled car sound of the E8000 - which you just take for granted - there's something re-assuring once you're used to it that you know it's working ! :) The Brose cuts out smoothly at 25kph. No speedo which is a bit weird after the E8000. The Kenevo eats up ground and you're definitely going faster on the fire roads than on a HT - I only know as the motor seemed to be off more than it was on. Either that or the limiter is set at 12kph.

So yes ... if in doubt, buy one. If you like something else, buy that .. today's conclusion - they're all nice. Just some are nicer than others ! :)

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
First ride impressions from an inept muppet who shouldn't be on a bike .. Very quick shakedown (impatient).. work trousers tucked in sock, no armour .. just a check and feel. No conclusive comparisons .. but the words of a crazy person comparing an e8000 hard tail with a Kenevo (if you don't want to read on - they're quite different).

View attachment 17133

Nothing really adjusted so this really was just a quick first impressions.

So .. FIRST impression .. it's heavy .. bedded the brakes in going down hill from the house .. motor assist wouldn't work at all, so pedal back home without it..

Power off, power on as I couldn't find anything else wrong and that fixed it .. now if only I'd just done that at the bottom of the hill ..

Continued my 7k ride .. 23 minutes .. average 18kph . 232m elevation. That's with the no assist ride up a hill included.

Felt really nice !! really really nice ... even if you just want to plod along and want to treat yourself to a crazy bike .. A Kenevo is just as happy plodding as ploughing !

Did three other short climbs .. one two minute hill - 10 seconds slower than my fastest E8000 HT time. Three minute hill - 10 seconds slower than fastest E8000 HT time. 80 second hill - exactly the same as my fastest E8000 time. So all in, they're pretty comparable.. at a rough guess I'd say the brose was slightly faster as I wasn't going full heart attack at it and that's just on whatever the factory settings are.

Going down, just been a storm so several trees and branches down and no armour so no stupid downhill (need to go out tonight with the chainsaw).. plodded down a red and again .. it felt nice ! reassuring and so so so so much easier to keep your damned feet on the pedals on the rough stuff with suspension ..

Motor is silent, which is a bit weird after the old remote controlled car sound of the E8000 - which you just take for granted - there's something re-assuring once you're used to it that you know it's working ! :) The Brose cuts out smoothly at 25kph. No speedo which is a bit weird after the E8000. The Kenevo eats up ground and you're definitely going faster on the fire roads than on a HT - I only know as the motor seemed to be off more than it was on. Either that or the limiter is set at 12kph.

So yes ... if in doubt, buy one. If you like something else, buy that .. today's conclusion - they're all nice. Just some are nicer than others ! :)

Congrats with your new bike and was this the first ride ever without an unintended dismount?

I have this picture in my head.......:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Karsten

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Congrats with your new bike and was this the first ride ever without an unintended dismount
Thanks Karsten.

It's the first ride in two weeks without an unintended dismount !? That kenevo is planted ! The right way up !

I always considered the Friday fails videos as my reason for NOT needing a go pro - I watch it and it feels like my week in review !

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I now finally understand how parents feel about their newborn babies.
I’m getting all emotional.
There something about watching/reading a persons first Kenevo impression.
I still look at mine everyday like it’s brand new and it’s been a year!

Once she’s dialled in and set to your liking just look out. You will wonder why you ever bought a small travel HT..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You will wonder why you ever bought a small travel HT..

It's interesting you say that .. I think if you only have a HT bike, you're of the view that you can do anything an FS bike can do - it's just a bit more of a challenge. I think I'd have always recommended that if anyone wasn't really sure, then a HT would be fine as they're more than capable.

That short ride on the Kenevo changed everything.

I think I'd now say that if there was any chance you might ever find yourself riding any "interesting" routes . If you can, buy an FS.

Though in fairness yesterdays short sample actually completely threw everything out of proportion and now it's basically "WHY whould you not by a KENEVO" ! Especially at the price you can get one for at the moment.

Plan to squeeze a sneaky short ride in this morning (need to sort the suspension first really.. but ....) .. dressed properly .. so with less than 10km's on it, probably it's first time to snuggle and kiss the ground ...

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Seriously, tubeless and a bigger spring alone changed my riding and I thought it was the shit before that.
But yeah Kenevo’s are the bomb! I loved riding before but since that bike I am totally obsessed.
I’ve actually neglected all my non bike friends and family because of it and I don’t even feel bad.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
First "ride/sneak away from work" complete .. obviously still going steady (but then that's probably how most people see my riding). Not done any suspension adjustments. Tyres are tubed and hard.

But basically .. it's very very nice .. more stable, yet weirdly I found myself turning in too soon a few times - so maybe I was over compensating ? Back brakes are insane compared to my HT, so need to learn to modulate the finger a bit more. It's just so different, already felt myself choosing totally different lines. Feels a lot safer on the rocks than the HT. Didn't fall off ! not once .. not even close !!! madness...

A definite conclusion is "there's no such thing as too much bike" .. I'm crap and that was amazing. It might look like a menacing animal which will tear your arms and legs off, but it's actually a friendly helpful little puppy and would be just at home as a beginners bike as a mountain mayhem machine....

Interestingly, I did go for it on the climbs and the E8000 HT has me consistently outpaced. Must pedal harder.

The Brose is much more delicate coming on the power in Turbo/Boost than the E8000, though still had two completely unexpected power wheelies, so once it does come in, it comes in hard.

Don't laugh - I'm a newby and self confessed Muppet :

Follow Zimmer on Strava to see this activity. Join for free.

Edit : oops .. it was locked out by strava but open now..

Last edited:

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I found myself understeering a bit on my Levo at first, I think that's because it's a better fit than my Following so I'm getting over the bars sooner and with more weight. I soon adjusted.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
A definite conclusion is "there's no such thing as too much bike" ..

I ride an enduro focussed bike (my first ebike and only had 4 weeks) and I’m of this mind too. Unless the ebike is under 20kg then I’m not sure saving weight is important. (And i’m A weight weenie on all my other bikes too).

The German emtb magazine is pretty much of this view too. The interview on you tube that’s floating around about Specialized’s Strategy from 2020 onward here is worth a look.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Used to its full potential (I don't mean taking it easy riding along with your clockwork mates, tho that's perfectly legitimate too), emtb is a different game with different parameters. The old paradigms don't fit any more.

I find it hard to imagine I'd ever buy a 180mm bike, however only 3 months ago I'd never have imagined I'd spent £xk on a 150mm 50lb bike with a motor and battery. But I did. So what do I know.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Definitely recommend to go tubeless asap and ride with lower tyre pressure. That will give you so much more grip, better comfort and protects from flat tyres.

Thanks Donnie. My HT went tubeless after endless pinch flats, so thats is the plan. The Kenevo even comes with tubeless valves in a bag. Really impressed with all the attention to detail on the bike.

I put DHRII/DHF on the hardtail, can't decide if I should swap these onto the Kenevo at the same time - the Butchers get mixed reviews (mainly negative). I noticed them slip on me yesterday twice (when I was taking it easy) , though today they felt fine so go figure. The HT is for sale, so probably nicer that it comes with new tyres ... :)

Was interesting yesterday riding down a lane over the hardened tractor tyre prints. You don't even notice them on the HT with lower pressure/tubeless .. Yet on the Kenevo, even with 4 meters of suspension travel, but combined with tubed/high pressure tyres you felt every lump.

It is an incredible thing though. I thought my HT looked quite nicely designed and made. It looks like someone knocked it up in a garage one rushed evening after a few beers when you stand it next to the Kenevo.

Need to get one of the mudhuggers ordered. Front - Long ...

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I still ride the butchers and i have mixed feelings about them as well. They feel good the most time, but i had my front tyre "slip" in fast short corners in dry dirt a couple of times, where my other bike with the MM in front stays on track. Might also be caused by the weaker carcass on the butcher. Since it never lead to a crash, i took it the way it is (still fantastic) and decided to ride them until they're done (which will be very soon anyway).
I wanted to try the eddy current next but after seeing many photos of ripped off nobs, i surely don't do. My lbs recommended trying the specialized hillbillies, but i tend to go with MM cause i know and like them.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK ... so this threads all been way to serious for me .... some stupidity is needed for balance .. Just looked at the Satellite image of today's ride .. clear evidence - KENEVO - Rides over houses !

Screenshot (4).png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I hope you tagged that ride as an e-bike ride. A lot of people take Strava very, very, very seriously.
Hell yes ! Learnt that on my first Strava ride.. I've got a KOM ! How can I have a KOM, I'm crap. Checks Strava... There at the bottom of the list after yoga and origami... E-bike !

Next day I met a guy in the woods.. Hey - you stole my KOM !... erm, yes.. sorry..

I explained and he understood. He didn't actually care and is now a really good mate. ??

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Really glad to hear you enjoyed it :) I still remembered my first ride on the kenevo, but pretty much every time I ride it, I think "wow this is REALLY good"

The first time I rode it down a proper trail I had to check that the motor was turned off because it was so fast - and that's coming from a 160mm Intense Tracer, which is a reasonably capable bike.

See how you get on with the butchers, they get a lot of hate but I find they work ok. Running tubeless at about 26psi, they seem to hook up just fine. Im probably just shy of 80kg with gear, on a large kenevo.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Oops just noticed an error... I said origami as a Strava option.. best correct that before the Strava police arrive...

I meant naked origami, much higher risk of a really really nasty papercut !?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Keep the Butchers, there are many better tires out there but they are probably more than enough for you. Once you run them tubeless the will perform much better.

Have you done your bolt checks?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Keep the Butchers, there are many better tires out there but they are probably more than enough for you. Once you run them tubeless the will perform much better.

Have you done your bolt checks?
Butchers it is then :)

Yup.. relentlessly !! I was very .. very ..... very ...... paranoid about it and stopped 4 times on the ride for basic checks and torque wrenched everything last night. :) I fall off enough as it is, I don't need mechanical intervention !!

Probably a dumb question .. but the rear axle - it's just a big bolt with no quick release ? Just so I know I'm doing things properly ?!?!!

And today's second dumb question .. my old old water bottle doesn't fit - what size does (in cc's I guess) .. doesn't look like my fidlock will fit either...

With all these fancy e-bike frames someone needs to create a website called "will my freekin water bottle fit?"

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahaha rear bolt is just one big bolt. Mine only came loose once in the first week. Maybe the bolt just needs to settle or stretch or something.
Just do your pre and post ride checks as anyone should and then just glance at them during rides.
Considering what the bike will do for you it’s wise to do the proper maintenance.

As for the water bottle, I run a keg in there with a small recovery kit but you can buy small water bottles around 300 to 350ml.
I run a pack at all times as I like my spine protected.

Jason1

Jul 18, 2019
UK
Hi nice write up
I’m looking to get a ebike soon and I’ve narrowed it down to either the Levo or Kenevo
I had a demo day a few weeks ago with raceco cycles and rode both but couldn’t decided which I liked best ???.
May I ask why you chose the Kenevo ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
May I ask why you chose the Kenevo ?

Hi Jason, In the end it was all very impetuous.

The short (ish) version : I have a hard tail emtb with a Shimano E8000, which I really like, but was obviously getting to the safe limits of what I felt I should be doing on it. For some time I'd been looking at FS bikes and had finally settled on the Thok Mig, I'd also pretty much settled on the E8000 from early in the process as it was a known quantity and I was happy with it. At the very end I'd also started to consider a Levo, but to get something similar spec to the Thok it was out of my budget. So I wrote to Thok to order and confirm some extras (upgraded forks/possible 29ers). Thok were on holiday, so no reply (normally they're really quick).

Someone on the Levo/Kenevo rumours thread was asking about 2019 or 2020 Kenevo... The suggestion was that if they found a good deal on a 2019 Kenevo, maybe they should go for that.. So I had a quick look .. and found a REALLY good deal and posted that for them.

The next day it clicked in my head that it was cheaper than the Thok... Up until that point I'd always discounted the Kenevo because, in my mind, it was some devilish evil monster that could and should only be ridden by gods, plus, it was way out of my budget.

I went through a very short irrational decision making process of "what is too much bike"... and then just went for it before the deal vanished ..

So after months of research on geometry, suspension, performance, batteries, motor types, weights,styles,build quality, after sales support .... in the end all of that went out of the window and it came down to literally a 2 minute decision based on "A bargain" and "It looks like a beast".. and I honestly couldn't be happier :)

Which is probably not very helpful if you were looking for a really good technical reason as to why I went for the Kenevo ! :)

Jason1

Jul 18, 2019
UK
That’s a perfect answer mate.
I’m doing the same at the moment with specs geometry and so on but it will most likely come down to price and what available when I’m ready to buy.
Thanks

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Hi Jason, In the end it was all very impetuous.

The short (ish) version : I have a hard tail emtb with a Shimano E8000, which I really like, but was obviously getting to the safe limits of what I felt I should be doing on it. For some time I'd been looking at FS bikes and had finally settled on the Thok Mig, I'd also pretty much settled on the E8000 from early in the process as it was a known quantity and I was happy with it. At the very end I'd also started to consider a Levo, but to get something similar spec to the Thok it was out of my budget. So I wrote to Thok to order and confirm some extras (upgraded forks/possible 29ers). Thok were on holiday, so no reply (normally they're really quick).

Someone on the Levo/Kenevo rumours thread was asking about 2019 or 2020 Kenevo... The suggestion was that if they found a good deal on a 2019 Kenevo, maybe they should go for that.. So I had a quick look .. and found a REALLY good deal and posted that for them.

The next day it clicked in my head that it was cheaper than the Thok... Up until that point I'd always discounted the Kenevo because, in my mind, it was some devilish evil monster that could and should only be ridden by gods, plus, it was way out of my budget.

I went through a very short irrational decision making process of "what is too much bike"... and then just went for it before the deal vanished ..

So after months of research on geometry, suspension, performance, batteries, motor types, weights,styles,build quality, after sales support .... in the end all of that went out of the window and it came down to literally a 2 minute decision based on "A bargain" and "It looks like a beast".. and I honestly couldn't be happier :)

Which is probably not very helpful if you were looking for a really good technical reason as to why I went for the Kenevo ! :)

Fantastic! You made the right decision. Very nice pic with your horse BTW

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I think the most important decision should be based on your style of riding.
If your new to the sport then I’d choose a bike with a good deal and is an all round capable bike. Nothing too crazy.

If your a seasoned veteran, then go all out I say. Fuck it all and buy the best you can afford!
My brother bought his Merida E160 2 years ago as it was a good bike with top level components for a very reasonable price.
I bought my Kenevo a year later and I’ve spent lots of money on it to make it what I want it to be.
To be honest there isn’t a great deal difference between us (although he is a better rider than me as he has 10 years on me!)
The main difference is my bike does it way easier and his bike has reached its limits for the style of riding we’re doing now.

My advice is if you think you are going to hitting big jumps, drops, gravity stuff, then go as big as you can.
My Kenevo climbs as good as any other bike but on the downs it’s see ya later.

Choose a bike that suits your needs and has a little extra just in case. You will find you will be doing things you’ve never done on a clockwork bike before.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles