2019 Norco sight vlt and chain devices ?

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Pretty much over time either when the running gear begins fatiguing or an aggressive trail rolls into play the chain often ends up dropping and falling into a place of awkwardness.... tightly wedging between the chain ring bolts and the frame, often gouging into carbon....

Some support here would be appreciated.... has anyone located a chain device that better supports this model sight vlt...
Cheers!?

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Do you have the clutch engaged? Is the possibly a link or two too long? It seems unusual for the chain to be jumping off the sprocket.
Possibly the clutch may be up for another view, to increase its tension.... no problems shifting, good and reliable only recently replaced the chain.... replacing a chain twice before placing on with another new cassette and chainring....

Dropping the chain occurs more often enough through impacting heavily from landers and dropping step downs.... I view this to be expected... just thought about a tidy fix for the time being....

My thoughts are to wait up, see what Norco bring out with their next Range vlt or maybe stay with another sight vlt....

Thanks for chiming in with good advice mate....

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
Possibly the clutch may be up for another view, to increase its tension.... no problems shifting, good and reliable only recently replaced the chain.... replacing a chain twice before placing on with another new cassette and chainring....

Dropping the chain occurs more often enough through impacting heavily from landers and dropping step downs.... I view this to be expected... just thought about a tidy fix for the time being....

My thoughts are to wait up, see what Norco bring out with their next Range vlt or maybe stay with another sight vlt....

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
My 2020 sight vlt c2 came with a great guide that makes it Impossible to drop a chain off of the front ring. You might check with a Norco dealer to see if it can be retro fitted to your bike.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
My 2020 sight vlt c2 came with a great guide that makes it Impossible to drop a chain off of the front ring. You might check with a Norco dealer to see if it can be retro fitted to your bike.
Not sure why l hadn't thought this before, great idea Silver fox, l will definitely check with the Norco dealer..... Thanks.

Something l was aware was this model came without mounting for the chain device.... A dealer replied back to confirm there is a product that reduces chain slap that adheres cable ties on the chain stays, not a chain device however might help in the rough giving stabilisation of chain. https://stfu-bike.com/

Last edited:

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
It’s usually the clutch that reduces chain slap by keeping the slack out of the chain on the bottom as the chain leaves the front sprocket.
I’m not sure, but I know on my bike there is a device the chain guide somehow connects to in a different location depending on which front sprocket you have on your bike. I found a schematic of this area yesterday when I Googled “Schematic of Shimano E8000 drive and cranks”. It showed everything in there. There seems to be very limited knowledge of these bikes for some reason.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
It’s usually the clutch that reduces chain slap by keeping the slack out of the chain on the bottom as the chain leaves the front sprocket.
I’m not sure, but I know on my bike there is a device the chain guide somehow connects to in a different location depending on which front sprocket you have on your bike. I found a schematic of this area yesterday when I Googled “Schematic of Shimano E8000 drive and cranks”. It showed everything in there. There seems to be very limited knowledge of these bikes for some reason.
Well spotted Silver fox..... l then checked this "Schematic breakdown" then took a couple of screen shots.... a chain device clearly shows to be included part listed for assembly with the E8000 motor... why this device was excluded on the 2019 ?.... Something to do with the moulding possibly, l may investigate further....
I can now follow up with the part number of this chain device.
Cheers for your time investigating....

Gazzer

Nov 4, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Well spotted Silver fox..... l then checked this "Schematic breakdown" then took a couple of screen shots.... a chain device clearly shows to be included part listed for assembly with the E8000 motor... why this device was excluded on the 2019 ?.... Something to do with the moulding possibly, l may investigate further....

I can now follow up with the part number of this chain device.
Cheers for your time investigating....

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to fit a topside mounted chain ring device on the 2019 Sight VLT. Speak to your dealer as Norco has now replaced my frame under warranty for carbon damage from severe chain jams. The problem is, I now have the same C2 frame and still have this problem. I replaced the Sram NX drivetrain with Shimano Deore XT, but new clutch, narrow wide chainring and correct chain length is still not good enough on it's own. I recently fitted this device:
after 2 hard rides I have not dropped the chain. It took a bit of positioning to hold the best chain line but it seems pretty good now. Maybe not ideal, but better than nothing.
There was a Sight VLT C1 forum member that posted a hack he made out of a piece of aluminium and an expanded concrete bolt in the pivot cavity near the chainring, but I don't think it lasted long term. Good luck. Great bike otherwise. Norco sorted this and bottle cage bosses on the 2020 29er.

thumb_IMG_0575_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0577_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2266_1024.jpg

184647831_1145228429276031_8657214152078502494_n.jpg

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
A recent discovery!...... This here looks to be a rather tidy simple chain device.... with the performance to hold the chain in place on those earlier model sight vlts.
Placed an order..... report back on how this goes!
IMG_0696.PNG

Gazzer

Nov 4, 2019
Sydney, Australia
A recent discovery!...... This here looks to be a rather tidy simple chain device.... with the performance to hold the chain in place on those earlier model sight vlts.
Placed an order..... report back on how this goes! View attachment 75750
Hi Mart-e. Just bumping this to see if there were any results from this device. If so, do you have a link to where it can be sourced?
Cheers!

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Hi Mart-e. Just bumping this to see if there were any results from this device. If so, do you have a link to where it can be sourced?
Cheers!
Hey Gazza, williamsracingproducts.com
check on website as it offers two different options of device….. l had been given a refund from on line purchase….at the time due to materials difficult to source.…. Never followed back due to motor e 8000 issues… hope you sort this out mate!
Cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles