2019 Levo Turbo - blown motor today

Murf

Mar 30, 2019
Italy / Colorado
Crazy day! Headed over to Livigno to ride the famousTutti Fruitti. As I’m riding to the lift I notice a weird noise. Something just ain’t right. So, as luck might have it, the shop I purchased the Levo from - Im Sport- was just down the road about half a K. So I’m slightly freaked - tell the mechanic- he comes back - says yes, motor Kaput - it will take a month to get a motor and we’ll take care of it on warranty (bike is 5 months old, around 3500km with lots of climbing). Owner walks in, long story short, they pull a motor out of a bike in stock, give me a demo - come back at 5 and bike ready to go with the new motor - love those guys. Pretty insane.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I honestly think they're running out of spare motors, and production hasn't kept pace. They had to replace a lot of noisy motors this spring, probably many more than they were expecting.

hannu

Aug 9, 2019
FIN
I honestly think they're running out of spare motors, and production hasn't kept pace. They had to replace a lot of noisy motors this spring, probably many more than they were expecting.

Yeah it definitely seems like it, it just took 5 weeks for me to get the new motor. They said it was because of vacations etc, but I found that quite weird excuse.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Crazy day! Headed over to Livigno to ride the famousTutti Fruitti. As I’m riding to the lift I notice a weird noise. Something just ain’t right. So, as luck might have it, the shop I purchased the Levo from - Im Sport- was just down the road about half a K. So I’m slightly freaked - tell the mechanic- he comes back - says yes, motor Kaput - it will take a month to get a motor and we’ll take care of it on warranty (bike is 5 months old, around 3500km with lots of climbing). Owner walks in, long story short, they pull a motor out of a bike in stock, give me a demo - come back at 5 and bike ready to go with the new motor - love those guys. Pretty insane.

Happy to understand you have been so lucky. I have been riding Tutti Frutti twice on one day a few weeks ago. It’s great a real bucket list experience!

If you are still there also make the ride to Lake Cancano. I can send you gpx file by mail if you like. If so, just send me a PM.

Have fun!

33200C71-A4DB-4152-A3E3-2C766F12D15C.jpeg

20AB6B76-0362-4BB3-AF1D-265BC61DB13D.jpeg
DD669E4B-EB31-49CB-8195-3DF455B176FA.jpeg

Last edited:

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
the way it should be really at 5 months old. Enjoy

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
New EMBN video on You Tube where Steve managed to wreck his Levo motor on the Mont Blanc race.
Luckily, the LBS changed it for him while he waited, as , no doubt, they would for any of us.

Murf

Mar 30, 2019
Italy / Colorado
Happy to understand you have been so lucky. I have been riding Tutti Frutti twice on one day a few weeks ago. It’s great a real bucket list experience!

If you are still there also make the ride to Lake Cancano. I can send you gpx file by mail if you like. If so, just send me a PM.

Have fun!

View attachment 17680
View attachment 17681 View attachment 17682
Thanks - have ridden Cancano a few times - fun going up the dirt road off of Stelio.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Thanks - have ridden Cancano a few times - fun going up the dirt road off of Stelio.

No thanks! I did it with my wife, son (10 years old) and daughter (7 years old). Whole family on emtb's but unfortunately for my daughter it was way to difficult in the end as she got extremely tired. Local rent shop called it family trail but I guess only suitable for kids from 10 years and older. Nevertheless it was a great experience in a beautiful area.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I think I know the noise you're talking about, mine blew a belt last week after 2500km and one long, super steep (up to 28%) "all turbo" climb too many. Got it to the shop next morning, motor out and sent to Specialized to fix and back on the trail in less than a week. They also offered a demo to borrow if I wanted, but decided to earn some brownie points and help the wife with the garden all weekend (yawn)!

Murf

Mar 30, 2019
Italy / Colorado
Awesome customer service ?
Does seem strange why a motor would take that long?
Good way to loose customers if you end up in that scenario.
It only took 3 days to get the bike for me?
When they first mentioned one month I thought - we’ll thats how it goes in Italy - I once had a rear shock blow a seal and multiple shops said they would need to send it to Fox for repair - my LBS would fix it in a day. I recently had a shop tell me it would take a week to get a replacement spoke for a bike they sell. What ya gonna do? Hope stuff doesn’t break.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti.

2 motor drive belt failures 1st 263 miles 2nd 190 miles

My 2019 Turbo Levo S Works was repaired after being dropped off on July 24, completed August 31. NO MOTORS. After a week and half Specialized told my LBS that motors were back ordered, then they said, "shipping container lost" then they said "we're sending a new bike to remove motor from and install", then a new motor showed up without explanation. Both under warranty, thanks Specialized. I contacted Brose and heard from the American Rep and the LBS has been contacted by Brose the serial number has been provided to Brose who claims they will track the motor and look into the failure. Strange behavior by Specialized doesn't inspire confidence. Updates to follow.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest

Have fun!

View attachment 17680
View attachment 17681 View attachment 17682

Ohh, very nice to read this here - that one is already on my bucket list!
The black diamond and "experts only" should be cool since i'm riding a black kenevo expert :cool::giggle:

DBDH

Oct 14, 2019
UK
High Rock Ruti.

2 motor drive belt failures 1st 263 miles 2nd 190 miles

My 2019 Turbo Levo S Works was repaired after being dropped off on July 24, completed August 31. NO MOTORS. After a week and half Specialized told my LBS that motors were back ordered, then they said, "shipping container lost" then they said "we're sending a new bike to remove motor from and install", then a new motor showed up without explanation. Both under warranty, thanks Specialized. I contacted Brose and heard from the American Rep and the LBS has been contacted by Brose the serial number has been provided to Brose who claims they will track the motor and look into the failure. Strange behavior by Specialized doesn't inspire confidence. Updates to follow.

Wondering what happened here? My S-Works levo had the motor fail after 248 miles and then again after 141 miles. On the third motor now and the bike is incredibly loud. Did yours fail a third time?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Wondering what happened here? My S-Works levo had the motor fail after 248 miles and then again after 141 miles. On the third motor now and the bike is incredibly loud. Did yours fail a third time?

High Rock Ruti

The third motor is still working but have less than 50 miles, however the Rochenburger plug failed they sent me a new plug, easy to replace, the levo has been out of service nealy two half months out of 5, not cool. Next failure I'm asking for a refund.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
It would be interesting to compare locations for broken motors to see whether 32kph vs 25kph limits have any effect on failures.

Out of the dozens of “25kph” bikes around here, I don’t know a single one that’s not de restricted... After increasing my bike the the US limit I now understand why.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Borked mine today - 979kms. Was doing a warm-up for tomorrows Xmas day ride - is a belt I am thinking by the whirring sound.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I almost never hear of a Shimano breaking down ever but worry about the Levos

Are you blinkered? My original shimano e-bike didn't even make it out of the box before it broke, and then the manufacturer/shimano took so long arguing over who would/how to repair it, the supplier gave me a completely different brand of bike. Even bosch are more on the ball than that.

WillN

Jul 8, 2020
Los Angeles
I'm trying to get my head around this Levo problem (so I can buy a Specialized Turbo without needing to replace it in two years). I'm winkeling out of this thread that hard climbing may be the morbid factor. (It's not a tough call. This is when the most stress, and uneven stress is put on the drive chain).
From what I know about mechanics is I'll bet every one of these motors and gear boxes would be really happy on flat pavement, steady cadence (legs), or even a slight incline. The motor finds a nice rpm and stays there. I know on my old MTB in low gear there won't be anything steady about some short steep climbs. It'll be like almost zero, then a down stroke and lurch forward then back to almost zero again, then another lurch. High torque, extremely uneven rpms... now try doing this on a tandem (which is what an EMTB basically is.) (And yeah EMTBs are supposed to flatten this out, still the closer to this scenario the harder it is on the motor, belt and gears. I've broken a few chains on climbs). If this is the Specialized motor destroyer scenario, then maybe I should avoid Specialized all together. Is there a correlation between motor breakers and chain breakers?
If however it's the amperage difference mentioned above, then how do you lower the peak amps on a Specialized? If I had to enter the betting pool this is what I'd bet on. There are a lot of emtbs out there; I'd guess that less than 10% of them have had this issue, and that includes Specialized. And I'd bet again that slow guys with big legs might be the killer factor.
Also is it all Specialized models, is it just 2020 and maybe 2019? Wait till 2021 or find an older model? The other scenario is to replace belts at intervals (DIY?) or whole motors (again DIY? Cost and effort?)
(And hey, I've read the threads. This is my two cents. I know enough to know that when I'm wrong I can be completely wrong - set me straight if I'm wrong. )

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The reality is, as you point out, that it’s the extra stresses of mountain biking vs just riding an ebike on a road from A to B that causes the problems, and we are still in the very early days of EMTB, and the development of decent motors. Just be aware these bikes aren’t bullet proof, and if buying a specilized get it from a dealer who knows the Levos inside out and has great back up.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I don't think it is the belts, I think it is the sprag clutch that goes. I think that the power the rider puts through them is an issue. They are rated to 250nm. I expect that it is possible to exceed this in some circumstances, and the more powerful the rider, the more frequent that is. Add in any moisture/corrosion, and things aren't going to get better. My 3rd motor is misbehaving I think, and this one hasn't been exposed to ANY moisture, but then again, the 2nd hadn't either.

WillN

Jul 8, 2020
Los Angeles
Interesting responses. As for a "good dealer who knows the bikes inside and out." Good point. If the dealer and Specialized makes sure that there's a reasonable way to keep the motors working without costing an arm and a leg, then okay - no problem. What I think I and others want to see is that we aren't going to pay thousands of dollars for an EMTB that's dead and unfixable in two years. When Ford took over Jaguar in the 1980s (I think), the first thing they did was to guarantee repairs, improve turnaround and not charge customers. Surveys on quality, reliability and customer service completely turned around. It was like all those Jags that would conk out in the rain had been reengineered. (They were soon improved for real). So I wouldn't mind a great EMTB that had a motor problem that eventually got fixed. I would very much mind one that after two years became completely my problem and my expense. The custom fit of the motors in the frames, etc... might make replacing a poorly engineered motor impossible.
And Troutwrester, 'sprag clutch' is already above my knowledge, but 'the more powerful the rider....' I understand that. I won't win any races, but over the years I have always been able to leg press the stack (650 lbs) on the gym machine. When I've done it, I've never done it more than twice. But how many times doing that to the motor might cause a problem? The argument could be made that applying this much force to the crank is bad form and not efficient, but working up a slope and then there's that one bit.....and it's too late to shift gears, if I just make the effort... that's when I've snapped chains (old chains - I'm not the Hulk) and a pedal or two.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well the forum is full of the information you seek, but EMTB's are like regular MTB's, parts fail and break, you just have another part to worry about. If anything you are more likely to experience excessive wear of other components than a motor failure, you cant legislate for the fact the motor might go, but you can prepare yourself for ownership by knowing that parts on an emtb get out under more stress than a normal MTB, and make sure your care/maintenance of the bike reflects this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles