2019 Levo switching off

rs4kev

Oct 1, 2018
Darkest Dorzet
Bought a new Levo last month and been really enjoying it. Riding Sunday and it switched off with no warning or indications. I knew it had about 80% charge at that point. Took the battery out to see if it would reset but no joy. Luckily was in an area where i could carry on riding without power (had to try it some time). After another 20 minutes or so it came back to life without any buttons being pressed and was ok for rest of ride. I'm wondering if there may be a cable issue somewhere. Yes, i'm going to take it back to shop to get them to check it but wondered if anyone else had anything similar?

Thx

Kev

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Bought a new Levo last month and been really enjoying it. Riding Sunday and it switched off with no warning or indications. I knew it had about 80% charge at that point. Took the battery out to see if it would reset but no joy. Luckily was in an area where i could carry on riding without power (had to try it some time). After another 20 minutes or so it came back to life without any buttons being pressed and was ok for rest of ride. I'm wondering if there may be a cable issue somewhere. Yes, i'm going to take it back to shop to get them to check it but wondered if anyone else had anything similar?

Thx

Kev
All it takes is one loose connection! Check 'em all

E-Levo-Kenvil

Jan 1, 2019
Leicestershire
Had the same issue and a harness replacement was necessary under warranty. Apparently a clamp had been over tightened, damaging the harness. The shop mentioned this is a common problem on the 2019 models.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Mine did the same last week and again today. Cleaned out the motor case and saw the power cable damaged. Put less stress on the kink and it works again. Awaiting replacement cable.

You can do the same in 5mins too.
20190222_134649.jpeg
20190222_135119.jpeg

rs4kev

Oct 1, 2018
Darkest Dorzet
As an update. I had the bike back early last month "fixed". Cable was replaced. I live quite a way from the LBS so when i got home i checked all was good. At least once it didn't seem to switch on immediately but i thought i may have imagined it. Last week i couldn't switch it on again. My brother has a Levo too so he came round with his. It's noticeable that when you press the switch the lights on the battery come on although the swich itself does not. I can see those lights on mine but not his so makes us think the battery closure is not correct. A little fiddling and the bike started ok. Saturday we tried again and nothing at all other than the lights on the battery. Could not get it to work at all so took it to the shop where of course it switched on. Have left it with them again. Any ideas??

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
As an update. I had the bike back early last month "fixed". Cable was replaced. I live quite a way from the LBS so when i got home i checked all was good. At least once it didn't seem to switch on immediately but i thought i may have imagined it. Last week i couldn't switch it on again. My brother has a Levo too so he came round with his. It's noticeable that when you press the switch the lights on the battery come on although the swich itself does not. I can see those lights on mine but not his so makes us think the battery closure is not correct. A little fiddling and the bike started ok. Saturday we tried again and nothing at all other than the lights on the battery. Could not get it to work at all so took it to the shop where of course it switched on. Have left it with them again. Any ideas??

When you insert the bike power cable to the battery will the battery leds turn on? I had similar problem where the bike would not turn on, but looking at battery there was a circus of lights going on. From top the first and third light was lit for 0,5s and then the second and 4th light from the top for the next 0,5s. and they kept cycling for some time.

The main problem was that even though the connector port looked clean, it was not. Electronic Cleaner and some rubbing with cloth it works like a charm again.

I think it was second time already for my bike. I been thinking about putting a mini spray bottle of electronic cleaner in my pack bag for future :)

-K

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
It's noticeable that when you press the switch the lights on the battery come on although the swich itself does not. I can see those lights on mine but not his so makes us think the battery closure is not correct. A little fiddling and the bike started ok. Saturday we tried again and nothing at all other than the lights on the battery.

1549651203037-png.10647

From yours and the post above from Koo, it is clear that some riders are experiencing a short circuit detection error - the LED chart above shows the battery error states which are not covered in the user manual. A short circuit could indeed be due to something in the charge socket/port as Koo says.

A visual check of the socket/port is important in good light, any grit or metallic items need to be carefully removed - a stiff brush or tweezers is good. Contact cleaner is good if there was corrosion or a build-up of dirt, but first always brush out carefully and ideally use compressed air before using contact cleaner. Regular contact cleaner use shouldn't really be necessary, but the correct way to apply it is to pour or spray onto a clean cloth and then rub the connectors. Final thoughts are to check the locating fins (1 on one side, 2 on the other), we've seen a couple of batteries where these got bent by a rider jamming the connector in before the fins were correctly located - the net result is that the connector stands off the socket slightly and moisture can get in.

A visual check of the Rosenberger connector is also important. Anything metallic that sticks to the port or connector creates a slight stand-off gap or short circuit risk. Also check the 4 small spring-loaded pins in the connector gently with a small screw-driver or similar, they should move freely. If grit got in there, compressed air is likely to help. When you put the connector back in the socket, give it a firm push once you know it is located correctly.

Should that not solve it, you'll need to visit your retailer I'm afraid. If anyone has a bike that won't turn on or behaves strangely and there aren't clear error LEDs to say what is wrong, resetting the TCU might help. Note that this also restores factory default support modes.
  1. With bike turned OFF, press and hold the 'S' (mode) button
  2. While holding the S button down, press the power button
  3. Continue holding the S button down until the bike restarts
  4. Power the bike up as usual. Bike will be reset to defaults.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles