2019 Levo Rear Brake Cable

GEE ARR

Oct 29, 2018
MIDLANDS
Hi All,
Has anyone had the experience of routing a rear brake cable through the frame of a 2019 Levo?
Just wanted to know how hard/easy it is and any pointers you can give me. Thanks.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Same I have changed the front brake to a guide re but holding off on the rear infill I can figure it out. Don’t want to route it externally if possible. I’m assuming that you could remove all the cable securing gromets and pull the new one through as you remove the old one but it looks tricky

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
You have to cut the old one to get it to slide through the frame. I cut mine at the caliper connected the new one with the little cable joiner you can get from sram pulled it through and reconnected the new lever. I took off a sram level brake and fitted a shimano xt 8020

GCWNZ

Dec 6, 2018
Wellington NZ
Same. Just changed mine from Level T to Code RSC. I used the Rockshox Stealth Barb Connector. Got it from Bikeinn. It has a normal thread and reverse thread so you join both ends of the hoses at the same time. Best to thread from the caliper end so you keep the banjo connection to new caliper. You will need to cut the old hose at the caliper.
rockshox-stealth-barb-connector-reverb.jpg

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I just did another one 5 minutes ago.
I use the Park Tools internal cable routing kit and pull the hose backwards through the frame. Make sure to loosen the cable clamps in the sidearm next to the shock. Usually I remove the shock to get easier access to the clamp bolts.
Then I just hook the barbed ended cable into the new hose and pull it forward through the frame.
This barbed cable is one of my favorite tools

C34B75B3-CB82-4251-8CF1-BE5C4C1883E0.jpeg

GCWNZ

Dec 6, 2018
Wellington NZ
Cool haven't seen one of those before. Yes forgot to mention about removing the shock. It makes it a lot easier as i was also routing a dropper post cable as well.

2 stroke

Jul 30, 2019
Front Range Colorado
So with a barb to pull the new hose in this is a 20 minute job where you don't have to drop the whole motor? I want to replace the Code R's with new XT 4 pistons.
How do I get to the cable clamps in the side arm? Will I see it with the shock out?
My shop wants $150 in labor to drop the motor and do it. The bleed is $30 on top of that.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
using the sram barb connector is easier as you use the old cable to pull the new one through if you use the park tool barb you have to thread that through first.
if you have a carbon frame there are no cable clamps, if its an ali frame they are on the frame side arm as others have said its easier if you drop the shock out the way

2 stroke

Jul 30, 2019
Front Range Colorado
using the sram barb connector is easier as you use the old cable to pull the new one through if you use the park tool barb you have to thread that through first.
if you have a carbon frame there are no cable clamps, if its an ali frame they are on the frame side arm as others have said its easier if you drop the shock out the way
Thanks, my frame is carbon so it didn't look like there is any way to get to any clamp.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
I just left the existing brake hose in place and connected the new levers and callipers to them. Works fine after a bleed. Way easier than replacing the existing brake hose. If they are in good condition then why not I’m sure the hose is exactly the same!! The whole thing only took me about 20mins to do the rear upgraded from level to guide re. Bleed kit is cheap and simple to carry out. Lots of you tube videos to follow.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My problem doing that was the banjo fitting to the caliper was not compatible with my new brakes and i didn't have a spare compatible one

2 stroke

Jul 30, 2019
Front Range Colorado
I finally got around to changing my Levo Expert rear brake to a Saint. The barb worked great. I cut the rear banjo off the Codes I could thread the barb into the back of the exisisting line in the chainstay. Then I also attached the lever end of the new line to the barb, Next I pulled it through from the head tube. I lubed the exposed end of the old hose and also the new hose with chain lube so it pulled easier as I went along but it was tough to start with. I'm also going to help a friend with his this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
i own a bike shop and have routed a 19 levo expert brake line through the rear. Its really easy, Specialized pre-routes the bike with a sleeve, it looks more like just a protector sleeve but really it is ran all the way up to the steering headset, when you pull the old cable out, just make sure NOT to drag the sleeve out with it, just hold the sleeve in place with one hand and pull the housing on through. You need to unscrew the brake line at the LEVER end and cut it back 1" (cutting off the olive and barb) this is normal practice with replacing hydro lines. DM me if you need additional help.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I just left the existing brake hose in place and connected the new levers and callipers to them. Works fine after a bleed. Way easier than replacing the existing brake hose. If they are in good condition then why not I’m sure the hose is exactly the same!! The whole thing only took me about 20mins to do the rear upgraded from level to guide re. Bleed kit is cheap and simple to carry out. Lots of you tube videos to follow.

so I take it if I was upgrading my SRAM Level T to SRAM Code R I could just use the existing cable and just fit the lever and calliper and bleed?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles