Levo Gen 2 2019 levo motor drag

ICEE3

Oct 25, 2020
Sacramento CA
I bought a used ( 400 mile ) 2019 Turbo Levo that looks to be in excellent condition. E-bike is new to me and I noticed that when riding with the motor off that it feels like the brake is on.
I checked the brakes and the front was dragging so I replaced the pads front and back and now both wheels spin freely even when cycling the brakes on and off. Since I ride 50% of the time on the street I changed out the tires to a set of lower rolling resistance types and while on the street they are pumped up to 50psi. The bike rolls freely. The motor when off is not fully disengaged and drags to the point of being difficult to pedal . Is this normal? Its a blast to ride when switched on and the battery will last all day. What about motor whine?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Pedaling without the motor is hard work .
All those reviewers that say you can`t feel the resistance are bull shitters .Bearable on flat ground . As soon as there is an incline the resistance increases significantly . I have ridden the bike home with a flat battery . Wasn`t any fun .

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Put the bike on a stand and rotate the pedals with your hand (motor off). Do you feel more resistance than with a non-ebike?

ICEE3

Oct 25, 2020
Sacramento CA
Put the bike on a stand and rotate the pedals with your hand (motor off). Do you feel more resistance than with a non-ebike?
Yes, some, but then by applying very slight thumb pressure on the spinning wheel the pedal resistance increases dramaticly . This is set with it in the lowest gear . Did similar experiment with my old non E TREK 830 to compare and resistance does increase but not like the Levo which is dramatic. Normal??

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yes its normal, when the Levo came out it was one of the easiest bikes to pedal with the motor off and so gained that reputation, but now the new Bosch and Shimano motors are the easier.
The fact is though all ebikes have an amount of drag when the motors are off, even the lighter weight bikes like the SL.

ICEE3

Oct 25, 2020
Sacramento CA
Yes its normal, when the Levo came out it was one of the easiest bikes to pedal with the motor off and so gained that reputation, but now the new Bosch and Shimano motors are the easier.
The fact is though all ebikes have an amount of drag when the motors are off, even the lighter weight bikes like the SL.
So, this is not normal. The drag I feel is not rolling resistance or weight its the motor as its not easy to pedal with the motor off.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I just tested mine ('19 Levo) on the stand with the power switched off. Spinning the pedals by hand, I don't feel any drag. Just the effort to overcome rotational inertia. I pinched the tire to add some drag, and the added pedal effort felt proportional to the drag I put on the tire.

I wonder if the guys who report significant drag have a sprag clutch that's misbehaving.

ICEE3

Oct 25, 2020
Sacramento CA
I just tested mine ('19 Levo) on the stand with the power switched off. Spinning the pedals by hand, I don't feel any drag. Just the effort to overcome rotational inertia. I pinched the tire to add some drag, and the added pedal effort felt proportional to the drag I put on the tire.

I wonder if the guys who report significant drag have a sprag clutch that's misbehaving.
ok, that makes sense.

Walkjw44

Apr 7, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Drag with motor off while pedaling-
Has anyone had a confirmed repair for this?
As others here mentioned, my 2020 Levo has changed over the year from a normal bike w motor off to an unrideable bike due to so much drag. Occurs only when pedaling the bike at any speed/motor off. Stop pedaling and it coasts like c champ so tires brakes etc are not the cause.
Motor on - seems whirring motor noise increased, maybe less range.

Hoping someone has had a repair. Seems like the one way clutch but would rather hear facts from others. Planning a Dlr visit, want to manage my downtime.
Thanks!
PS- I love this bike!.
C3EDBD1E-94F9-4BA5-B9C6-2620CB49C41A.jpeg

CD25D7C6-A582-40E6-A6E9-8DBCE1AD3347.jpeg

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
If I got £/€/$1 every time a new ebike owner comes telling about drag, I would be a wealthy man.

Of course you're going to feel it when you lose 100-500W of assistance. Add to this you're couple of gears too high for unassisted pedaling and it will feel like hitting a brick wall.

Brose has very little drag, only a few watts - too little to notice. And your bike is probably ok too. It's just your mind playing tricks. Your body also adapts to being assisted. Riding unassisted will begin to feel more and more hard work.

But it works the other way around too. Ride an acoustic for a month, then hop on an ebike. Remember that first time you tried an ebike - you'll feel like flying!

Last edited:

Walkjw44

Apr 7, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Nope! Not making a dollar off my drag. It’s not normal.
There is a difference between load, weight and drag. I own a few bicycles and one e-bike I purchased new almost a year ago, 1500 miles so I know the bike pretty well.
Something changed. When new it pedaled like a 52 lb bicycle with motor is off. Now I cant comfortably pedal it.
It’s as if the one way clutch is engaged.

If anyone has experienced it, I am hoping to hear your antidote.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Nope! Not making a dollar off my drag. It’s not normal.
There is a difference between load, weight and drag. I own a few bicycles and one e-bike I purchased new almost a year ago, 1500 miles so I know the bike pretty well.
Something changed. When new it pedaled like a 52 lb bicycle with motor is off. Now I cant comfortably pedal it.
It’s as if the one way clutch is engaged.

If anyone has experienced it, I am hoping to hear your antidote.
I agree 100%. When my 2020 Levo was new there was extremely little drag with the motor off -after the last update firmware update, the drag is horrendous and even varies in severity while switching back-and-forth between Eco and motor off as the terrain varied between level, up or down while riding just today when I went out to ride with 32% battery because I forgot to charge last night. This is not in my mind. Repeat this is definitely not in my mind. In one instance the drag was absolutely mind-boggling while in other instances it was moderate or rarely mild. It has only done this since the firmware update associated with the four year warranty offering from specialized recently.
I should probably add that my second motor has just recently started making the ticking sound associated with a belt that is starting to break down which is how my first motor died and was replaced under warranty. I don't think that should count for the drag however.

Walkjw44

Apr 7, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
If I got £/€/$1 every time a new ebike owner comes telling about drag, I would be a wealthy man.

Of course you're going to feel it when you lose 100-500W of assistance. Add to this you're couple of gears too high for unassisted pedaling and it will feel like hitting a brick wall.

Brose has very little drag, only a few watts - too little to notice. And your bike is probably ok too. It's just your mind playing tricks. Your body also adapts to being assisted. Riding unassisted will begin to feel more and more hard work.

But it works the other way around too. Ride an acoustic for a month, then hop on an ebike. Remember that first time you tried an ebike - you'll feel like flying!
Sherman,
I came to this forum for help. We don’t need a “shoot from the hip response” without qualifying the rider, writer or condition from where you sit.
I see the next post where a member has to qualify “it’s not in his mind”because of the uncomfortable atmosphere set.
I hope it’s not the tone of the entire forum to snap rather than help.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
The best way to check drag at the pedals is to remove the chain from the front sprocket and turn the crank by hand. Give the crank a good flick in both directions and see if there is any excess drag...cranks stop rotating in less than 1 rotation or so. Problems with the sprag bearings normally show up while back pedalling. Note, it should be less drag in reverse since the chain ring doesn't, or at least shouldn't move during back pedalling. That's the sprag bearing working. The next thing I would check is how much pressure is needed to stop the cranks from turning while walk mode is engaged. Again checking sprag bearing... If there is any measurable resistance during these checks, like what you are feeling when riding, then a visit to your dealer/Specialized service center is recommended.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles