2019 levo fault lights at switch on

stevie

Nov 21, 2019
uk
eventually the bike will clear but might take up to 6 switch off switch on agains.
anybody else get this? any cures? have replaced battery cable and has seemed to get better but still not 100%

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
What lights are you getting?

This is usually water or moisture in the TCU (The switch you turn it on with)

If you remove that and clean it, it may fix it.

Are you washing the bike upside down? If so water collects there and can bugger the TCU.

Will be replaced under warranty at your LBS in any case.

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
I have had the first blue light come on with a beep Then switch off for pretty much 2 days on a brand new bike.
Removed the tcu blow dried it, still wouldn’t turn on then all of a sudden it sprang back to life,
I did turn it upside down during the washing which may have caused the problem.
Seems fine now fingers crossed it stays that way

stevie

Nov 21, 2019
uk
What lights are you getting?

This is usually water or moisture in the TCU (The switch you turn it on with)

If you remove that and clean it, it may fix it.

Are you washing the bike upside down? If so water collects there and can bugger the TCU.

Will be replaced under warranty at your LBS in any case.

stevie

Nov 21, 2019
uk
hiya the lights are a blue a gap then a red.
I think you may be right about the tcu I removed it and although dry looking you can never tell whats inside. i hung the unit above a radiator with the usb cover open for a good while and replaced on the bike later with a pack of silica gel underneath it.switch is behaving now as it should but it does play up most after it has been off for a while. will check in the morning. thanks for the heads up i will let you know how it goes.
cheers
steve.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Washing the bike upside down allows water in through the headset into the top tube, hence onto the TCU. Provided the TCU USB port is properly closed with the bung the TCU itself is sealed so the most likely place for a fault are the TCU connections. The drain hole at the bottom of the motor covers is another place water can enter if the bike is washed upside down. The water could affect the main motor to battery and 2 low voltage connectors under the non drive side motor cover...………...or the 3 unused ports if they have not been capped (they should be !). The Rosenberg connector is less likely to be affected if it was properly closed.
I think it is a good idea to keep the bike in a reasonably warm place after washing and before charging to make sure it has properly dried out. This time of year my garage will be just cold and damp so it means bringing the bike indoors.

aaandypandy

Dec 9, 2019
uk
I have had the first blue light come on with a beep Then switch off for pretty much 2 days on a brand new bike.
Removed the tcu blow dried it, still wouldn’t turn on then all of a sudden it sprang back to life,
I did turn it upside down during the washing which may have caused the problem.
Seems fine now fingers crossed it stays that way

Hi i've had a single blue light and beep on my levo which then turns immediately off so no possibility of connecting mission control in an attempt do diagnose, Is this the fault what your describing ? and did you find any fix ?

My only fix after 3 days of trying absolutely all sorts was to have bike on stand and spin rear wheel whilst turning on so i assume it is a fault code related to wheel speed sensor
well hope this helps for you if applicable or anyone who searches this fault description

Well this fix was short lived exactly one week later after a similar ride same scenario happened again and is now permanent. its now in with a specialized dealer/retailer who so far haven't been able to connect a scan tool to it and apparently under specialized advice will be replacing the power lead from battery to motor

New lead from battery to motor fitted under warranty by the amazing Don Skene Cycles Cardiff and yesterday its been through a tuff 28.5 miles ride of rain, mud and more rain followed by a good bucket and sponge wash and all is good.

Last edited:

Tricati01

Sep 30, 2019
Christchurch, NZ
Had similar faults on both wife's and my 2020 Levo Experts - I took the TCU out of both bikes, cleaned the two plugs and refitted them with a heat-shrink sleeve over the connectors, then I wrapped a piece of insulation tape around the TCU to cover the USB port. We have had no further problems. I have never water-washed the bikes with a hose, so only trail induced moisture, and I suspect most getting in via the ports for the gear/dropper-post and brake hoses.

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
having the single blue light issue again. really getting tired of it now. other people report no problems pressure washing their bikes.
we are washing it with a damp cloth but after a muiddy ride today there was little choice but to turn the hosepipe on for the wheels and tyres and rear linkage.
bike charged fine so maybe the power cable? and im not turning it upside down.

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
the weird thing was that after cleaning it i turned it on and it was fine. brought it inside charged it then it wouldnt switch on.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Sounds like water has got in somewhere. Have you tried taking the TCU off the top tube and letting that dry?

Unplug the Battery terminal also and let that dry.

After each clean I unplug the battery and let that area dry out prior to turning on or charging. I've fried one charger trying to charge it before letting it all dry out..

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
Sounds like water has got in somewhere. Have you tried taking the TCU off the top tube and letting that dry?

Unplug the Battery terminal also and let that dry.

After each clean I unplug the battery and let that area dry out prior to turning on or charging. I've fried one charger trying to charge it before letting it all dry out..
TCU is bone dry, i wrap a rag around the cables and drape it over the TCU before i turn the hose on the wheels and tyres. also used a compressor and a bike dryer on it with no luck. only sprayed the hose around the rear linkage, obviously near to the motor. i have seen plenty of videos of people washing them with pressure washers and not having issues.
something seems to be badly sealed but regardless its just a lottery as to whether it will turn on if a hose pipe goes anywhere near it. really dont have any faith and can already see it being a problem if we take it away on holiday, especially if it takles 3 days to turn back on!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Sounds like the power lead then..Sadly that’s a dealer job...

We did a 5 day bike trek and got a new a TCU and power lead from Berkshire Cycles as a ‘flyaway kit’ it whether he’ll do that for everyone I’m not sure.

Let us know how you get on. ?

Noblefart

Jan 26, 2019
Norway
Mine has been "funny" since mid-December. It started out as hard to turn on. Once I was able to turn it on, toggling through the different assist-modes, but no real assist. I store my bike inside, wash it gently with hot water (no upside down), careful with the TCU. I've inspected the TCU and connections, everything seems allright. While I wait for local dealer to take action, I've survived giving it a fresh 30-40 sec charge. It works all the time. However, I've feared what was going to happen on a long trip. Yesterday I had two powerlosses. One was due to beeing idle to long (as it should) and the other I really do not why. However, it turned on fine.

Nevertheless: It is by no means ideal...

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
Got some checks to do tonight to see if I can isolate the problem. As mentioned above most probably its the power lead. Fingers crossed it is and I can simply replace it and fix the issue.
Was going to see if I can seal the gap in the motor cover by the main pivot also.

Tricati01

Sep 30, 2019
Christchurch, NZ
Being a retired avionics engineer, and both my wife and I on to our second Levo’s, I have taken large interest in the ‘electronic’ issues surrounding the Levo’s.
Having done a number of moisture entry preventative measures, and still having TCU fault codes on both our bikes I am strongly of the view the ‘sealing’ on the Rosenberg connector is the primary cause. The seal contact area, and pressure, within the battery receptacle is mediocre at best, and changing the lead is only providing a ‘fresh’ seal for a short duration.
To test the seal, I cleaned the Rosenberg connector & receptacle with contact cleaner and dried with Shop Air and checked clean with white tissue. We then rode a local rough/dusty single track and on our return, wiped the plug and receptacle with a white tissue and was amazed at how dirty both where – If the dust could get in then moisture certainly would.
Given the Rosenberg connector uses point to point connections, and not pin & socket, and is reliant on the magnet to hold contact, I suspect vibration generated with ‘normal’ trail riding is enough to break contact and any moisture/dust that gets in is sufficient the upset power continuity, especially on the low voltage/current lines (TCU Control/Speed Sensor).
It would be good to know what Specialized views were on this issue, and the number of leads that have been replaced

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
Update:
bike powered up fine this evening so must have dried out. Anyway, still took the crank arm and motor cover off and removed and inspected the power lead which is broken at the base of the plug that attaches to the motor. should get a new lead this week which hopefully will mean i can wash the bike with some confidence! Small easy fix issue that was causing the problem and allowing just enough moisture in to upset the system. Just to recap press the on button, get a beep and the first blue LED, then switches off. No red and blue lights.
plug.jpg

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Certainly looks like the root cause of your problems. If you widen that split you will see that the + and - leads are bare wires before entering the plug.....the original seal presumably being between the inner sheath and the part of the plug that is now split.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Being a retired avionics engineer, and both my wife and I on to our second Levo’s, I have taken large interest in the ‘electronic’ issues surrounding the Levo’s.
Having done a number of moisture entry preventative measures, and still having TCU fault codes on both our bikes I am strongly of the view the ‘sealing’ on the Rosenberg connector is the primary cause. The seal contact area, and pressure, within the battery receptacle is mediocre at best, and changing the lead is only providing a ‘fresh’ seal for a short duration.
To test the seal, I cleaned the Rosenberg connector & receptacle with contact cleaner and dried with Shop Air and checked clean with white tissue. We then rode a local rough/dusty single track and on our return, wiped the plug and receptacle with a white tissue and was amazed at how dirty both where – If the dust could get in then moisture certainly would.
Given the Rosenberg connector uses point to point connections, and not pin & socket, and is reliant on the magnet to hold contact, I suspect vibration generated with ‘normal’ trail riding is enough to break contact and any moisture/dust that gets in is sufficient the upset power continuity, especially on the low voltage/current lines (TCU Control/Speed Sensor).
It would be good to know what Specialized views were on this issue, and the number of leads that have been replaced

You could be right. I smear grease on the chamfered edge of the Rosenburg plug to help seal the connection but I would be happier if the plug had a securing bolt to prevent any movement.

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
I’ll get a replacement on warranty but will try repairing and sealing it with some rubber glue and waterproof tape.
I believe the 2020 model has a redesigned cable which I am assuming is what I will receive.
B564387C-A665-4395-8E55-CD202BB5EF51.jpeg

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
I’ll get a replacement on warranty but will try repairing and sealing it with some rubber glue and waterproof tape.
I believe the 2020 model has a redesigned cable which I am assuming is what I will receive. View attachment 24147

My 2020 Levo Comp failed to restart at the weekend after stopping mid ride for coffee, not relishing the 15 mile ride back to my car I tried multiple times to switch on, eventually the display lit up with an error code - top bar red next bar down blue (manual says this = motor not found).

The display then showed as normal but alternated with the error code.

The motor was working and I rode back to my car with everything working OK but display continuing to alternate between normal and error code.

I had to pass the bike shop, that sold me the bike, on the way home so I dropped the bike off.

The mechanic said he was 99% certain it was water ingress into a cracked power cable, and that they were getting many similar cases due to recent very wet UK conditions.

He showed me a damaged cable and it looked identical to the photos in previous posts.

He also told me that the cable would be replaced under warranty with a new style cable that routes differently to the original to avoid a tight bend that causes the cracking in the casing.

Whilst the cable may be updated nothing has been done to prevent the water ingress.

I will be interested to see what the final outcome is.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The motor covers are not designed to be waterproof. There are no gaskets between the covers and the motor casing. It is the cables and plug connectors that are designed to be waterproof.......the 2 green bands on the motor end plug are the seals. The split in the plug has broken the seal between the cable sheath and the plug. The 2020 bikes have the same cable as the 2019 bikes. There is however a modified cable that should now be available. Only one person on here has so far shown us a new cable but it was unclear whether it was a prototype, a lbs diy job, or the actual new cable. The one shown was 10mm shorter and had no outer sheath, and was sealed end to end with some form of liquid rubber by the look of it. It had apparently been trialled with zero failures.
We need to see the official new cable.

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
The motor covers are not designed to be waterproof. There are no gaskets between the covers and the motor casing. It is the cables and plug connectors that are designed to be waterproof.......the 2 green bands on the motor end plug are the seals. The split in the plug has broken the seal between the cable sheath and the plug. The 2020 bikes have the same cable as the 2019 bikes. There is however a modified cable that should now be available. Only one person on here has so far shown us a new cable but it was unclear whether it was a prototype, a lbs diy job, or the actual new cable. The one shown was 10mm shorter and had no outer sheath, and was sealed end to end with some form of liquid rubber by the look of it. It had apparently been trialled with zero failures.
We need to see the official new cable.

My 2020 bike is supposed to be having the revised cable fitted.
I will try and take a photo when I get it back, hopefully by the end of the week.

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
My 2020 bike is supposed to be having the revised cable fitted.
I will try and take a photo when I get it back, hopefully by the end of the week.

I've got my bike back with the new power lead fitted, all seems to be working OK, riding later today so fingers crossed.

All done under warranty with no quibble in a reasonably quick time.

Attached photo shows old lead on the left and new lead on the right.

The outer casing on the old lead is cracked where it goes it goes INTO the motor plug.

The new lead is the revised design and the outer casing is more flexible, presumably this is to prevent cracking where the tight bend occurs, also it goes onto the OUTSIDE of the motor plug, hopefully this will prevent moisture entering the plug.

Apparently the new lead costs about £85

powerlead.JPG

sailor_74

Dec 2, 2019
Kent
new power cable seems to have resolved my issues. probably the first thing worth checking for anyone having problems turning their bike on, especially following washing it.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi i've had a single blue light and beep on my levo which then turns immediately off so no possibility of connecting mission control in an attempt do diagnose, Is this the fault what your describing ? and did you find any fix ?

My only fix after 3 days of trying absolutely all sorts was to have bike on stand and spin rear wheel whilst turning on so i assume it is a fault code related to wheel speed sensor
well hope this helps for you if applicable or anyone who searches this fault description

Well this fix was short lived exactly one week later after a similar ride same scenario happened again and is now permanent. its now in with a specialized dealer/retailer who so far haven't been able to connect a scan tool to it and apparently under specialized advice will be replacing the power lead from battery to motor

New lead from battery to motor fitted under warranty by the amazing Don Skene Cycles Cardiff and yesterday its been through a tuff 28.5 miles ride of rain, mud and more rain followed by a good bucket and sponge wash and all is good.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone expand on this issue please? My 19' LEVO has this exact issue; turn the bike on.... the bottom blue light flashes once and then beeps as the TCU turns off :(

Any fixes? or is it another bloody trip to the dealer...... :(:(
Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles