2019 Levo Expert battery health 90%

Tmattice

Aug 15, 2019
Santa Rosa CA
Hi all, I picked up my new ride and downloaded the app, which said my battery health was only 90%. took it back to the dealer after my first ride and they ran a
battery test and said it's fine. does this sound right to you? I would have thought a new battery would be 100% healthy.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi all, I picked up my new ride and downloaded the app, which said my battery health was only 90%. took it back to the dealer after my first ride and they ran a
battery test and said it's fine. does this sound right to you? I would have thought a new battery would be 100% healthy.
It should be 100% on a new battery for sure but it could also be an old firmware in the battery or a bad installation of mission control. Maybe @Specialized Rider Care can help you out.

Karsten

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I suggest you do a full discharge to 1-2% left, charge back to full then retest - it probably needs to have completed a full cycle before it has enough data on the pack to give an accurate result. Having said that since we have no idea how these health values are calculated anyway “accuracy” is somewhat of a moot point!

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Yeah. Should be 100%, I have over 2000 Miles on mine and it's still 98%,
You effectively only have a 630Wh battery in your case.
Edit. I realized you have a Expert. So you should have 750wh new.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have heard of several users having issues with batteries being not 100% when purchased. Most times the LBS claimed the battery was OK even though mission control said otherwise. Sadly, some LBS are a bit slack when checking these things and need to be jogged into action.
Make use Mission Control is up to date then check all firmware levels - if still not 100% ask for a replacement.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
A widespread misconception is that batteries should be charged up to 100% and that’s best for the battery. Obviously it isn’t & could explain the reduced number if somebody charged it & left it. If not being used, batteries should be stored at around 50% charge.

Tmattice

Aug 15, 2019
Santa Rosa CA
A widespread misconception is that batteries should be charged up to 100% and that’s best for the battery. Obviously it isn’t & could explain the reduced number if somebody charged it & left it. If not being used, batteries should be stored at around 50% charge.
I’m not referring to the charge level. I’m concerned about the battery health indicator that is at 90% after 2 charging cycles on a 3 day old bike.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I’m not referring to the charge level. I’m concerned about the battery health indicator that is at 90% after 2 charging cycles on a 3 day old bike.

What I’m saying is it’s possible that the bike was charged to 100% and left in that state for weeks or months pre-delivery. That could explain the degradation. It could also be firmware related.

Tmattice

Aug 15, 2019
Santa Rosa CA
Specialized rider care reached out to me after reading my original post. He had me send him screenshoots of the app and was able to see the history of the battery from manufacture date. Mine was determined to be bad, so he contacted my shop and a new one is on order. Great support, very impressed. He mentioned that he will be off next week, so you may not get a response immediately.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I wish that I would have done what you did. My wife's battery was never 100% and it dropped over time for the worse. I know the warranty paper work says it is still exceptable but it isn't right for what they charge for these bikes. Also, don't listen to people advice about how high to charge or how low to run a battery. It doesn't apply to the Levo battery since it is all automatic. A so called dead battery is still at 32 volts when the bike shuts off.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles