2019 Levo 27.5 wheels

Levolized

Dec 16, 2018
Norway
I have put my 27,5 on my 2019 Levo. I run the 2.6 Butcher in front and 2,6 Purgatory in the back. These tires because I haven´t shifted theme since they were on the rims from my original bike. What I found out was where I ride even the tiny pattern of Purgatory in 2.6 work just fine when it comes to grip. Would like a more precise cornering tire though, but still...I ordered 2.6 Maxxis DHF and DHR in 27,5 now which I belive will be plenty of grip and better when it comes to cornering. The BB hight comes in around 330mm(3mm higher than Stuntjumper EVO) now in the low setting. The frontend feels a little bit low so ordered a 160mm air shaft to the front end to raise it up a bit. I think the bike would be fantastic with "normal" 27,5 wheels with 170mm up front....The handling is 10 times quicker and more fun than the 29". The low BB is just noticeable on a slow step down but works great on slow step ups when it comes to hitting the motor and battery...You also need to plan a little bit more where to paddle for not hitting your krank arms but I really prefer that than a high BB

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
When I originally put a deposit down on a '19 Levo I specifically asked for them to swap out 29 for 27.5+ and they agreed to do it no cost. I hope 27.5 doesn't go away. It's a size I find more enjoyable to ride regardless of any roll over advantage 29 has. I'm always about fun factor

Last edited:

exckiwi

Apr 15, 2019
Belmont, Lower hutt
Thats a great looking bike ASV. I think the 27.5 with 3" tires suits the bike proportion wise.
The reason I asked the question originally was I have a 2018 Levo with plus size tires and I'm going to buy a 2019 or wait for the 2020 Levo and swap out the wheels to see which I prefer.
The 18 model is really nimble and planted, I think part of that is because of the 27.5 wheels and plus size tires. When I test rode the 19 model sworks with 29s I noticed how big the wheels looked stuck out front and it didn't seem as nimble. Maybe just something I'll get used to.
I did like everything else about the bike especially the weight and the 700 wh battery.

Reactions: ASV

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Ive ridden the 29’s for a few months and do quite like them. Im just about my mount my 27.5 wheels with 2.6 tyres so ill be able to give some accurate feedback soon on the difference, if any at all.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
I have Pivot Mach 5.7c (acoustic) with 26" 40 mm wide carbon rims with 2.8 tyres and S-WORKS Levo with 29" wheels. Very different to drive those. But every time I swap the bike I can't be more happy. Still I don't think I need 27.5 rims and plus tyres in Levo. Would those work? No doubt.

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
I have put my 27,5 on my 2019 Levo. I run the 2.6 Butcher in front and 2,6 Purgatory in the back. These tires because I haven´t shifted theme since they were on the rims from my original bike. What I found out was where I ride even the tiny pattern of Purgatory in 2.6 work just fine when it comes to grip. Would like a more precise cornering tire though, but still...I ordered 2.6 Maxxis DHF and DHR in 27,5 now which I belive will be plenty of grip and better when it comes to cornering. The BB hight comes in around 330mm(3mm higher than Stuntjumper EVO) now in the low setting. The frontend feels a little bit low so ordered a 160mm air shaft to the front end to raise it up a bit. I think the bike would be fantastic with "normal" 27,5 wheels with 170mm up front....The handling is 10 times quicker and more fun than the 29". The low BB is just noticeable on a slow step down but works great on slow step ups when it comes to hitting the motor and battery...You also need to plan a little bit more where to paddle for not hitting your krank arms but I really prefer that than a high BB
hello, is still fine on 27.5+ or you change back to 29"??

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
have now install, front and rear 27.5 wheels 35mm inner wide and 2.8 tires. BB drop 34.5cm flip chip high and a fox 36 160mm. booth wheels with cushcore.
test ride is tomorrow.
8EAE7C89-ABC4-467C-A534-6126B3A279A4.jpeg
1F77A09C-D01B-4745-95C7-1036EF642F72.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interested to see you guys sticking with plus tyres, to me they feel like putting a blomonge onto the bike, and take away a lot of feel and accuracy.

Nothing against them, and I believe one mans poison is another pleasure when it comes to setting up your bike.

I find a 2.6 hits the sweet spot of grip and comfort vs control on the Emtb.

Levolized

Dec 16, 2018
Norway
hello, is still fine on 27.5+ or you change back to 29"??
Hi, I don’t know if you can call 2,6 for +tires any more it seems to be pretty standard these days, I guess 2.8 it starts to be pluss. What ever… actually I’ve changed back to 29 but that is because that I had an order of Cush Core on 29 before I changed it to 27 and wanted to try it out. Now I run 18 psi in the rear and 15 in the front!!(I weight 68kg, 172cm) which just opt for an insane roll ability over obstacles. I think I will stick to this set up for a while since where I live its more downcountry terrain with huge obstacles and for sure bigger wheels is normally the way to go here, I even see small kids roll around with 29 here. I do still think the handling was really good with the 27 on…Trying out the cush core was also a game changer in the suspension feel and stability of the tires. Will never ride without again on an e-bike.

It so many ways you can ride your e-bike…I see you live in the Thun area, lucky you! That is an insanely beautiful area:) I guess you use your e-bike more like an shuttle machine?? I live in Oslo and we don’t have that steep and long terrain here but its rough and fun and goes up and down all the time:) I would definitely go the smaller wheels and a longer fork(air piston) if I lived where you live, though I haven’t tried the longer fork yet…Its nice with the low BB going down hill:) I don’t think I will ever put larger than 2.6 on my bike 27 or 29…It also gets lighter with the smaller wheels which helps the machine to slow down easier which is constant battle in the steep Alps. Normally you get more traction with more rubber to the ground but I don’t think its an problem on e-bikes going downhill so much, its more on technical uphills. I also see more new e-bikes coming speced with 2.6 instead of 2.8 which was the norm before…

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
but on the 29“ 30mm innerwide with a 2.6 maxxis minion or dhr, the side knob are not wider than the casing.. that is in my opinion not good! i like more the 2,5wt tires on the 30mm rim, the side knops are wider than tha casing! so more curve grip. don't no way the casing is wider than the knobs on the 2.6. ?

Last edited:

Levolized

Dec 16, 2018
Norway
but on the 29“ 30mm innerwide with a 2.6 maxxis minion or dhr, the side knob are not wider than the casing.. that is in my opinion not good! i like more the 2,5wt tires on the 30mm rim, the side knops are wider than tha casing! so more curve grip. d’ ont no way the casing is wider than the knobs on the 2.6. ?
I dont know I am still on the Butcher 2.6 that came with the bike and I think the shape looks and works good with those rims. When I measured the Butcher on the 30 rim (27) before it was more like +2.4 something in width. The Pergatory that I had is a complete different shape in 2.6 and the profile is a lot higher more like a pluss tire I would say…Haven’t picked my DHF and DHR up yet since I am on the big wheels again. Normally you would get a wider casing with a rim on wider side for the tire though and side knobs less exposed but not so much roll from side to side that you would get with the contrary set up…I guess you could go less rim width that you normally run on any tire with Cush Core since that prevents the tire to roll from side to side as well…Have you tried your sett up with flip chip in the low setting as well?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles