2019 Lapierre eZesty and more at Eurobike Day 2

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
That whisper looks interesting, 4.8k for full carbon! Did they give you the weight? I know they make hub drive commuter bikes but this seems like quite a big step up in product form them

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've been trying to get geometry out of them for ages over on the Pedelecs forum where the boss is a frequent poster, no joy so far.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Just watched your vid Rob, great work - awesome you're over there and able to deliver high quality first-look videos for us tragics :)

I'm super interested in this Lapierre. I am mates with a dealer locally, and I'll definitely be wording him up on the bike and I hope that some are brought into Australia in 2019.

I wonder what sort of range you could expect with this smaller 250Wh battery system . . . in rides comparable to what we/I do with our current 500Wh bike flavours . . . but given the lower output of the motor, perhaps it'd still be good for a 50km ride? So many variable of course, so I'm just speculating....

I just read the article on the Focus Raven2; and it looks like the battery is separate from the motor, so it would be possible to carry an extra battery with the Fazua system, which is great!

Maybe, as my fitness gets better and better with my monster truck Turbo Levo . . . I could then move to one of these! Who knows, but it's definitely great to see manufacturers opening up great new options for consumers.

So exciting!

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Just watched an old review of a Focus Raven2 from Singletrack Magazine . . . reviewer said that after 55km of riding in the mountains he still had 25% battery left!

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
What Nico didn”t tell you is that any bike with the Fazua system is at the same time a normal bike (with aroung 1kg penalty for the gearbox on the crank) and an ebike with a subtle motor. If you want to go on a normal bikes ride the motor and the battery comes off as one piece leaving an incredible amount of baggage space in the downtube (!!!) and on the focus bikes with fazua comes an shell just to cover the hole. I’m thinking LaPierre will offer the case to ride withouut motor and battery as well.

The battery is also small so carrying a second one on the backpak would be very easy. I think it’s a great system. Love that LaPierre put it on a trail/enduro ebike.

I think being such a versatible ebike/normal bike on just one bike is one of the key points on this. It certainly is on my wishlist for an ebike.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just rode the Fazua (short 20 min non technical ride). Very impressive. Much more power than you’d expect, in the video Nico mentioned it is like Eco mode on other bikes, I’d say more like Trail mode on the higher (not highest) power setting.

Interview with Fazua in day 3 vid later.

Last edited:

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Just rode the Fazua (short 20 min non technical ride). Very impressive. Much more power than you’d expect, Nico mentioned like Eco, I’d say more like Trail mode on the higher (not highest) power setting.

Interview with Fazua in day 3 vid later.

Was it the Fazua in the E-Zesty, or another Fazua equipped bike?

Rob, the spec on that E-Zesty is to die for. Absolutely top notch. I had dismissed this motor system at the time of my purchase, as there were no fully's available with the setup, but the more I investigate, the more awesome it sounds.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Tori, whats super interesting from the raven vid you posted is how light the battery is, and how you could easily carry a spare in the bottle cage, or in a back pack - hell you could probably carry two spares in a backpack.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Was it the Fazua in the E-Zesty, or another Fazua equipped bike?

Rob, the spec on that E-Zesty is to die for. Absolutely top notch. I had dismissed this motor system at the time of my purchase, as there were no fully's available with the setup, but the more I investigate, the more awesome it sounds.

Sorry should have added, was in the Focus HT MTB.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I'm a believer in the notion that turbo on an e bike is to provide access to ridiculously sleep and troublesome climbs. As stunning as the Zesty is, it's failing to cater for my requirements in an e bike. I'm sure it'll be perfect for some people though. :)

I had a little chuckle when I read your comment, then your forum handle. I agree that part of the joy of an ebike is doing gnarly climbs . . . but the Fazua motor system looks like it's pretty handy, with the turbo mode outputting 400 watts or so. I'd love to ride one and see just how well it can climb.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I guess the lesser power will be compensated a fair bit by the lighter weight of the bike

Lazy Biker 84

Jun 15, 2018
Shropshire
I had a little chuckle when I read your comment, then your forum handle. I agree that part of the joy of an ebike is doing gnarly climbs . . . but the Fazua motor system looks like it's pretty handy, with the turbo mode outputting 400 watts or so. I'd love to ride one and see just how well it can climb.

I'm definitely interested to see how it compares for sure as it really is a beautiful looking bike.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Shimano Steps has 70Nm and 500w peak, Fazua has 60Nm and 400w peak. But does it have US firmware available for 20mph like Shimano?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
This thing is exactly where I wanted and hoped eBikes would go in the next few year - low level, natural feeling assistance in a lighter weight bike with a modular motor. Removing the motor for "clockwork" fitness rides is the absolute killer USP - it may be expensive, but if it means I have a decent Enduro/Trail and ebike all in the same package that isn;t so much of a problem. Get it down to around the 4-5k mark and these would sell like hot cakes.

Ebikegum

Jun 3, 2018
Shropshire
I Have a Lapierre overvolt 700 I have had for 2 1/2 years I love it. I don't want another Bosch motor as this is the second motor I've had replaced and it's all getting a bit dated. The bearing are just not upto uk riding, no de coupling above 25kg, it's big heavy and no Bluetooth app.
The thing is Bosch have replaced them both under warranty no problems. I wonder it Fazua or TQ will do that.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Interesting that the Fazua guy said they are working with a lot of other brands too. I wonder which ones? I doubt the really big established ebike brands like Specialized and Trek will go for it, but maybe some of the other more niche guys will leap on the opportunity to make a lighter bike. I would love to see Whyte pick this up, they would definitely maximise it’s potential in a mid travel trail bike like the T-130 or S-150.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I really don't get the new Haibike range, makes no sense to me at all, but this is the future of E-bike's top marks to Fazua, Focus and Lapierre :)

Last edited:

Elroy

Apr 8, 2018
California
Seems like a nice idea, a lighter bike without unnecessary power. But what would really set it apart is decidedly more range than its competitors which seems like it could be accomplished with a slight weight penalty given the compactness of the 250 w battery.

Ebikegum

Jun 3, 2018
Shropshire
Well i have been out and done 17 miles using mostly eco and tour on the steep technical climbs. (Bosch cx 500w battery) i used 1 bar but was probably close to using the second bar. So i guess about 175w. That would be about 10watts per mile. With a 250watt battery i would struggle to do much more than 25miles.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the bars, other than a warning that you're getting low. In my experience, it's not a linear scale because as the ride progresses you lean on the motor more, even if you stay in one mode, and are less efficient. I did a Boost test recently, just to see how far it would go; the first 8 miles used 1 bar, the next 9 miles used 3!

Ebikegum

Jun 3, 2018
Shropshire
I do agree you do uses more watts as you get tired but if i do a scott mountain marathon 50k i use 3 bars. I keep an eye on when it drops each bar and its 8 to 8.5 miles.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Seems like a nice idea, a lighter bike without unnecessary power. But what would really set it apart is decidedly more range than its competitors which seems like it could be accomplished with a slight weight penalty given the compactness of the 250 w battery.
Just found this review of the Evation system in the Focus Raven2 - it looks like carrying a spare battery is a minimal weight penalty, still giving you a bike that is substantially lighter than most eMTBs. If you are a trail centre rider of course you don't even have to carry the battery with you, just leave it in the car whilst you ride, though I'm sure 2x 250Wh batteries will be more expensive than a single 500Wh.

"It’s hard to talk about this rig without first mentioning just how little it weighs – the whole system for the FAZUA Evation motor tips the scales at 4.59 kg, more than 2 kg lighter than the Bosch CX motor. With the 250 Wh battery at 1.38 kg and the motor at just 1.91 kg, these team to create a removable one-piece unit. The gearbox in the bottom bracket shell (1.31 kg) is the only part that remains fixed to the frame. That’s where the next USP comes into play: the Raven² can effectively be ridden without its motor and battery, which sees its total weight plummet to 12.20 kg and the insertion of a cover to protect the battery slot from any debris, detritus or flicked-up mud."

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
It’s a shame the Accell Group stopped selling Lapierre in the United States. We sold them in our shop and I owned a Spicy Team which I loved.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
Does anyone know with whom Fazua is working with? Bulls announced recently the Wild Flow Evo with the Fazua system. I appreciate that Bulls is building a 29er but I would like to have more travel. So really looking forward to see other brands using the Fazua system.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles