2019 Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The new Trance E+ with the frame integrated battery is a good looking bike. It replaces the old Giant Full-E, and geometry wise it’s quite different. The Trance E+ frame is both longer and lower, and the head angle is slacker. Thankfully they’ve made the seat tube shorter, so finally I can use the size L frame with a 125mm dropper post. I was a bit surprised to see a 7mm increase of chainstain length though, up to 470mm. The short headtube can give a pretty aggressive seating position for some and the bike can be less comfortable on transport sections. The test bike is a size Medium, and it feels a bit small for it’s size.
Solid Specs
Giant charges €4.599 for the Trance E+ 2, that puts it in the cheaper end of the spectrum. So I was a bit surprised when I had a look at the specs. Sure, the Shimano MT520 4 pot brake isn’t top of the range, but I’m happy to see them on this bike. The brake lever action isn’t as light as the more expensive brakes, but it’s a powerful brake that is up...

Continue reading...

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
It's a toss up between this bike and the Neuron On 7.0 for me. Kinda prefer the looks of the Neuron and the Shimano motor but then still bit worried with going the direct sales route. Both are priced the same so no worries there. Had 4k to spend for 6 months now and still can't make my mind up ?

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
The great thing about a shimano motor is you can take it to any shimano dealer for warranty, plus the screen is a design classic.

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
Nice review. It appears to have a very low bottom bracket and the specs say it comes with 170mm cranks,a dangerous combo. Why would they choose such long chainstays, because of interference with the suspension design? Looks much better than their previous design.

S

Stephen Lewis

I have the E+ 1. Great bike to ride. Agree with everything said except regarding noise. My friend has a bike with E8000 which is almost silent. Ridden with guys riding Spesh; almost silent. The Yamaha motor is an absolute 'growler' and I've not come across anything as noisy or noisier. I love the bike and love the way the motor responds and gives power when needed. To be fair the Giant video does not hide the fact.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Yep my giant is noisy but sounds good... tell you where its beats other bikes tho.... battery range is far better than levos etc.. its great to know i can ride a big route 35 miles with 2500-2800 ft of climbing and still have 40-50% battery left!!

C

ceri

need help ,i am thinking about getting giant trance 3 many because it fits my needs and its all i can aford but my worry is sizing i am 5"9 they recomend a medium but i am worried about the reech , The reech is only just long enough on the medium but large looks better but could be taller so has anyone riden the the bike and give me feed back ,cheers.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Bought one in medium size a month ago, I'm 5ft 10 tall with 29" inseam. Its fantastic. Fitted michelin e-wild tyres from new, it handles anything I can throw at it. My motor is not noisy, I hear just a slight growl at full assistance which I hardly notice. Battery range is incredible and I love the assistance from low cadence it feels very natural. Great spec for the price, I love this bike.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Riding one now and find it too long and unlively. Also mine is 55 lbs with pedals in size medium. Not sure how the review one is 52 lbs.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Riding one now and find it too long and unlively. Also mine is 55 lbs with pedals in size medium. Not sure how the review one is 52 lbs.

What tyres are you using? I went straight to michelins which suit the Trance, the standard rear tyre isn't the best.

Suspension setup is worth time spent getting spot on to suit you, it can make a big difference.

The longer ebike chainstay is great for climbing but can make the bike feel a bit planted and slow to turn until you get used to it and learn to trust it when pressing on downhill.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
20181010_111957.jpg

That was including pedals. The battery cover was broken and reinforced and glued, and there was a bell on it, which I assumed added enough grams to push it over 24kgs.

But it was weighed with fairly lightweight plastic pedals, so I guess I could have been a bit more conservative and claimed about 24kg.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles