2019 Giant Trance control switch

Fast Willy

May 17, 2019
Delaware
Has Giant came out with a new switch to replace the junk they sold us these bike with. I dont even get mine wet & i will come out & the bike is on. Then of course you cant shut it off. You have to take battery out wich is annoying. I love my bike & have 310 miles on it in a month, but hate this ride control switch.

Guybmoto

May 16, 2019
Aliso Viejo, CA
Doh! You’ve got me considering a bike cover. I leave the bike in the back of the truck while I drive around the National tour in the summer, and it gets tagged with all the elements.

Jan 29, 2018
Nottingham
There has been a modified switch released since the model year 19 bikes came out. If you contact your original dealer they should be able to swap it out for you if you're having the ghost turning on / off as described. If you struggle with your original shop, shoot me a PM.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
Has Giant came out with a new switch to replace the junk they sold us these bike with. I dont even get mine wet & i will come out & the bike is on. Then of course you cant shut it off. You have to take battery out wich is annoying. I love my bike & have 310 miles on it in a month, but hate this ride control switch.
@Fast Willy , my switch started doing the same after a wash last week on my Trance E2+ SX, which has done about 1200 kilos so far. I noticed the new switch is sealed where the wire goes into the switch. The previous one wasn't properly sealed and the wire just went through a fairly loose rubber sleeve.

It also seams that the switch has upgraded functionality as I am now able to pick up my cadence on my Lezyne Mega XL GPS via Bluetooth. Previously this was not possible. I would still be careful about strong direct streams of water on the unit, but it definitely seems as if they have improved the sealing of the unit. It is still advisable to rather wash your bike with a bucket and soft brush and keep the hose away from the controller.

Last edited:

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
@Fast Willy , my switch started doing the same after a wash last week on my Trance E2+ SX, which has done about 1200 kilos so far. I noticed the new switch is sealed where the wire goes into the switch. The previous one wasn't properly sealed and the wire just went through a fairly loose rubber sleeve.

It also seams that the switch has upgraded functionality as I am now able to pick up my cadence on my Lezyne Mega XL GPS via Bluetooth. Previously this was not possible. I would still be careful about strong direct streams of water on the unit, but it definitely seems as if they have improved the sealing of the unit. It is still advisable to rather was your bike with a bucket and soft brush and keep the hose away from the controller.
I wonder if my garmin will pick up the bike now, I had the new control fitted also.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
I wonder if my garmin will pick up the bike now, I had the new control fitted also.

Silato, give it a try and let me know. Also I am able to pick up the power on the Lezyne but it fails on binding. Not a train smash, but I think it should work. I believe the firmware of the switch can be upgraded through an app that the dealer uses. Unfortunately not yet available to the public, but I would like to be able to do my own updates and upgrades as I am quite far from my dealer and don't really see a reason why a competent person can't do their own upgrades.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles