• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

2019 gearing? Also de-restricted top speed numbers. How fast can you go?

phdatsun

May 3, 2019
TAHOE VISTA, CA 96148
Hello I have de-restricted my bike with a peartune. I can get to about 30mph easily and my legs are moving pretty good. I bought a 38th chainring to replace the 32th and it is in the way of my chainguide so to use it I will have to remove the guide. Has anyone done this to a 2019 Levo successfully? Im also curius of the top speeds you guys are hitting derestricted. Also has anyone tried a 12speed setup with a big chainring? I think that may be my next step but not sure if a big chainring and big rear sprocket will be compatable.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
De restricting doesn't alter your top speed, it only alters the assistance you are getting on the way to the top speed - as you have clocked the speed is governed by the gearing. You will have the same top speed assisted or unassisted.

I personally would not go with an option that means removing the chain device, unless you are mainly riding on road.

Also check the 38t doesn't hit the chain stay at any part of the suspension movement.

phdatsun

May 3, 2019
TAHOE VISTA, CA 96148
Derestricting for me made a huge difference on top speed for me. I went from barely over 20 to over 30mph. I get what your saying but if you dont have the leg power to pedal faster than 20 your not going faster. So de restricting it gave me a huge top speed increase. Now im out of gearing but could easily go faster with gearing.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I understand that, just pointing out that it doesn't actually make the bike capable of going faster, though it may make you better able to reach the top speed.

Just be aware that gearing the bike for outright top speed will compromise it in other areas.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
My chain guide broke pretty early on, got sent a replacement but never put it on. Not dropped a chain yet and done over 1000 miles on it and the drivetrain. Don't think they're really needed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles