2019 Flyon Closer Look

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
I don't really get the point of a more powerful and heavy motor for a pedal assist bike that is limited to 15mph. I can't imagine any climb that's not possible with a 90nm Brose bike that will be with a 120nm Flyon *using the same tyres*. If have to get off for a climb then I also need to push/carry it up large rocks which the extra weight wouldn't help. Downhill or Enduro trails, which is 90% of what I care about riding, I am usually going faster than 15mph so the motor torque is irrelevant.

A de-restricted Flyon on the other hand would be an entirely different story, but no warranty.

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
I don't really get the point of a more powerful and heavy motor for a pedal assist bike that is limited to 15mph. I can't imagine any climb that's not possible with a 90nm Brose bike that will be with a 120nm Flyon *using the same tyres*. If have to get off for a climb then I also need to push/carry it up large rocks which the extra weight wouldn't help. Downhill or Enduro trails, which is 90% of what I care about riding, I am usually going faster than 15mph so the motor torque is irrelevant.

A de-restricted Flyon on the other hand would be an entirely different story, but no warranty.

You can make steeper climbs on it than on other bikes, some of the ones on my local trail Me and my friends never managed on any other bike. Also uphill in general on steeper trails you can average closer to 25km/h than the 14 km/ you normally reach on other systems. Everywhere else’s it’s no advantage really, although it does accelerate faster out of corners when you pedal. Horses for courses and all that.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
You can make steeper climbs on it than on other bikes, some of the ones on my local trail Me and my friends never managed on any other bike.
Also uphill in general on steeper trails you can average closer to 25km/h than the 14 km/ you normally reach on other systems. Everywhere else’s it’s no advantage really, although it does accelerate faster out of corners when you pedal. Horses for courses and all that.

I guess a lot depends on what kind of trails you ride. The vast majority I use have uphill specific routes that were designed for non-Emtb use and are pretty easy on any Emtb, or fire roads that are also easy.

I would much rather trade off climbing at 25kmh for more range and 14kmh. I don't use eco mode much but try to reserve Turbo for when I need it.

"Horses for courses and all that", indeed !

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK

Completely agree, but I still think these will be a big seller to those who want the “most powerful” ebike available. For most of us though range is far more important than maximum power, something that big heavy motor won’t help with.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I know I said something similar before, but actually the flyon offers much more than just a strong motor. The allmtn 8.0 for example has a great spec for the price:

630WH high density battery, no internal drag motor, full fox 36 elite suspension (like factory but black), 29 + 27,5 wheels, carbon frame (offset some of the motor weight), full XT with SLX etc.

In other words, it comes very close to the spec of the top range canyon spectral and with a little LBS discount, it is the same price (Different geo and weight for sure). So for me, it is not so much about the big power (nice to have though), but more the overall spec and value.

Obviously I am little worried that the weight, long wheelbase and chainstays may take some fun out if it, but I generally prefer longer bikes because they feel safer for my descents. I will let you know how I feel actualy riding the bike when it finally arrives. Obviously if I dont like the ride I will not buy it.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
And yes, we want as much detail on the FLYON as possible, after all this is a FLYON thread ??

Relevant to the info here is this bit of a historical and mechanical perspective of the motor itself.

TQ-Systems mid-drive, the German off-road hot rod

The concept has really developed since the $80,000usd Black Trail from 2010

dims.jpeg
At least Haibike have shortened the chain stays from back then and dropped a few kg's as well as around $70k....

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
28kg!! Yes, I read the article yesterday with great interest because I have reserved that exact bike. Although they are impressed with the handling, I think I may have to reconsider :confused:. I thought it would be around 24kg.
However, I will reserve judgement untill the bike arrives.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I wonder if the high weight is a matter of being a pre-production model they have tried?

Although certainly not light, I dont see any particularly heavy components on the list. Motor and battery are big and heavy, but not more so than bosch (Tq 3.9 kg, Bosch 4kg). I was expecting the bike to come in at 24-25kg, with its carbon frame which should save around 0,5-0.8kg.
Where is the weight coming from?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just read the article too, which isn’t really much of a review and more of a brief synopsis - irrespective of motor power 28kg is crazy, I thought it might be around the 24kg mark

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I was expecting it to weigh well over 25kg, but I wasn't expecting 28+. The motor is 1kg heavier than most others, except for the Performance CX. Battery weight may have increased by 1kg+ due to dual cases and 10 more battery cells. Carbon doesn't necessarily reduce weight on emtbs, it allows for different frame shapes. Then there's the integrated lights adding a bit of weight.

Last edited:

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I hope there is not any copyright issue posting this here as the source is clearly identified. If so, please let me know and I will delete.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
28kg?! They will definitely need to keep some Bosch and Yamaha bikes in their range to provide a "lightweight" option... ;)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just read the article too, which isn’t really much of a review and more of a brief synopsis - irrespective of motor power 28kg is crazy, I thought it might be around the 24kg mark
Yeah it’s not that in depth considering how big of a bike this is. I wonder if they had to scale it down due to not having a production model?

I want to know about the lights, screen, controllers, all the little details ?

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
2nd to last page is enlightening. They seem to rate it as a heavy/stable but powerful tourer.

There's a lot to like there, just need to test one to see how the weight feels. The real question will be when will they actually be available?

And is it just me, or does the copy read a little more like an advertorial than an actual review? The shots also look similar to those from the launch.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...And is it just me, or does the copy read a little more like an advertorial than an actual review? The shots also look similar to those from the launch.
TBH the whole issue has more than a whiff of “don’t bite the hand that feeds” about it, particularly the Specialized content. Those articles have the sycophantic “this-bike-farts-perfume” air of the initial 2019 Levo publicity. That’s right - the Brose is the best motor, the Levo an utterly faultless eMTB and those lovely chaps in the Swiss glass box are baby kissing, trail slaying superheroes.

I wonder who footed the bar bill for all this test riding in Tuscany? Hmmm...:unsure:;):ROFLMAO:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Doesn't do well in my preferred categories

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 9.56.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 9.56.47 AM.png

60+ lb eBikes are barely suitable for road use, ala Stromer and if you have ever tried to heft one of those you'll know what I mean, much less trail use. I still can't figure out where Haibike is going with the Flyon....

And that quick charger article was really out there. Made it sound like everyone should get a 10A smart charger and fast fill ups for all. Don't try putting more than 4A in your 18650 cells boys and girls unless you have it outside in the parrilla.

Faster charge rates are coming but only due to the advent of the higher mAh 21700 cells and even then 8A was the limit I was quoted by BMZ last spring for the LG 5A cells. Even at that you wouldn't want to make a steady habit of charging at that high a rate as it will degrade your battery faster but ok to do it once in awhile.

My Grin Cycle Satiator charger is compact, light and will charge up to 8A any chemistry and voltage from 24v to 60v so not at all like the chargers they describe in the article. I use it for my 52v 780wh 21700 Samsung 50e battery as well as my 48v 480wh Samsung 30Q and 52v 520wh undetermined mAh cell and have settings for each programmed into the unit. I only charge the 18650 cells at 4A but have a 4A and 8A setting for the 21700 battery.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles