2019 Flyon Closer Look

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I wouldn’t call that technical, it’s steep, what happens when it’s full of loose stone and has rock steps to climb up?
Where I think it'll help is having that extra forward momentum and speed to help you clear stuff. I can imagine a situation like you describe, loose, wet, stoney and steep. I'd be looking for any area that will give best traction, give it a bit of a pedal, get the power down to get the speed and momentum up to help clear any steps.

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
I wouldn’t call that technical, it’s steep, what happens when it’s full of loose stone and has rock steps to climb up?
There are all kinds of different technical. Even Sam Pilgrim couldn’t make it up this, Andrea in the photo was only guy who could make it. Obviously the bike won’t do everything you still have to be a good rider to make hard climbs, but I understand your point. I haven’t tried it yet on loose switchbacks with rock steps, they are usually super tricky on every bike though.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I agree with you, we don't ride really steep climbs and if you're not good at technical climbs then you could be risking injury as yes the Flyon will get up the steep climbs but if for some reason you have to stop suddenly on a steep climb you have that heavy bike to hold onto and I can see in some situations that possibly dragging someone down the climb :)

That's why you should be on flats if you want to try the crazy stuff, you can just step off the back.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Does anyone know what happens when water pours down the holes in the steerer tube? does it just run out of a hole near the Motor. Or does the bike come with a rain cover for them?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Looks like the Flyon is getting closer to reality

The M1 versions seem to be available now in 3 different watt settings, 250w compliant, 500w speed pedelec and 900w for private land only. The only effect is speed difference set at factory level, 120nm across the board on tap.

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Here is another first ride review: Haibike Xduro Nduro 10.0 Flyon review: Business or economy? – eMTB-News.de

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC8xOC8xODA3My0yemU2ZXNudGIzcHYtaGFpYmlrZWZseW9ubm...jpg

Last edited:

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Where I think it'll help is having that extra forward momentum and speed to help you clear stuff. I can imagine a situation like you describe, loose, wet, stoney and steep. I'd be looking for any area that will give best traction, give it a bit of a pedal, get the power down to get the speed and momentum up to help clear any steps.
So as probably the only person on here who is rode the top crop of EMTB, which would you personally spend your hard earned mullah on Rob?

Haibike Flyon
YT Decoy
E-Zesty
Merida eONE Sixty (2020)
Another..?

Make it easy for us lol :D

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So as probably the only person on here who is rode the top crop of EMTB, which would you personally spend your hard earned mullah on Rob?

Haibike Flyon
YT Decoy
E-Zesty
Merida eONE Sixty (2020)
Another..?

I’ve not tried the FLYON or Merida just yet, hopefully soon I’ll be able to share feedback on them all.

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany

Haibike Flyon
YT Decoy
E-Zesty
Merida eONE Sixty (2020)
Another..?

It's fairly easy, as long as you dont end up with a lemon, you won't go wrong with any of them, they are all amazing bikes. They are the best of the new breed of eebs. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

Nothing will keep up with a FLYON on most kinds of rides if it's in any of the top modes.
Decoy looks like a great all around bike at a great price.
Levo is probably the most natural feeling eeb and is a superb bike, but with a horrible price/spec /performance ratio
I didnt ride the new one but the older Merida was a great bike, quite similar feeling to the Spectral ON.
Spectral ON is one of the most agile, fun bikes I have ridden.
My current and favourite bike, because it is such an amazing and agile All rounder is the Yamaha PW-X Haibike AllMtn 7.5 // As good as anything else I have ridden, even if it looks a little outdated now, you don't care when you ride it.

If I was to buy any bike today and I wanted the best Price/performance/spec it would be the Haibike AllMtn 2.0 with a 1x conversion ( love the Yamaha Motor) because its light, agile and powerful. If I had more cash would probably get a top spec Decoy. If I had loads of Cash would get a FLYON or top spec Levo. Or a Decoy and a holiday for the whole familiy :)

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Wonder what sort of issues they're having? The motor has been around a while and there's nothing groundbreaking with the bike itself.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Agreed, there are lots of other alternatives albeit not as powerful as this beast.

Torque being the ultimate bench mark over watts to get them there is at least this one that I know of rated @120nm however not currently being speced on any mass manufactured bikes that have current geo.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 8.05.18 AM.png

While Bafang is primarily known for their hub motors and kit mid drives they appear to be making a play for the integrated mid drive market with this unit. Some Alibaba brands, FLX here in the states and a few factory proto's out but hopefully someone will pick up on it as it seems like a very viable candidate for a mid range model that is neither too heavy on watts or physically yet puts out better than average torque. I would imagine a bike with this motor speced similarly to the Flyon could potentially weigh 15lbs less further enhancing comparable performance.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.26.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.26.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.25.44 AM.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think Haibike launched the bike way to early - they Announced it before the 2019 Levo, but its now nearly a year later, I haven't seen any in the wild, and there's a host of other new bikes now hitting the market which seem to stack up as better options unless all you really care about is pure power

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

AJR

Jan 6, 2019
Essex
Perhaps it is going on a diet. I do not understand why it weighs so much compared to so many other bikes now available.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Perhaps it is going on a diet. I do not understand why it weighs so much compared to so many other bikes now available.

Neither do I as frames are carbon even on the lower models :unsure: Ok, the battery will be heavier than a 500Wh but the difference between a 500 and 700 in the Specialized world is around 600 grams. Even if it was 900 grams it still doesn’t add up
The motor is quoted at 3.9kgs so......... in theory it should weigh in near a Kenevo’s weight :unsure:

Maybe it comes with a resettable parachute to slow it down when it is flying up the hills ;)

Ed Davies

May 27, 2019
Wales
Wow, long thread, haven't read it all yet but I'm really interested in these Flyons as well.

This bike might turn into a bit of a fugly duckling though I think :D And as snazzy as the top spec NDURO 10.0 looks, the more I look at that down tube of these Flyons at different angles the more I think it looks wrong. It just hasn't got the minimalist look of say an S-Works with the 700Wh (bigger and better) battery. And if they made that down tube that fat they could have at least packed a few more Wh's into it, it'll probably need it with that extra power on tap as well. The other thing is the weight, these Flyons are looking a bit lardy from the start. We can expect weight from the battery and motor but Flyons are weighing in over the average of some older bikes even. I bet the power will be amazing but lugging it over farm gates or whatever when you are out free roaming won't be any fun.

They all seem to be photographed at a certain angle as well so they look more slender than they actually are. That video with Sam Pilgrim shows how hideous that downtube really is. Might make them sell cheaper if nothing else though, then you'll just hate it when the next generation looks even better with the same power, less weight and larger battery. Good marketing plan by Haibike to get you to upgrade in the future :)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles