2019 Battery / Charger issue... or have I?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Those connectors are under the motor. Behind the motor shield. So probably not technically a Yamaha failure.
Been thinking of various ways to waterproof those connectors without having to rewire the bike with a new loom.
I thought about dipping them in some kind of emulsion but it should be tidy to remove and not get messy when comes a time or need to detach them.
So perhaps it needs to first be thinly wrapped with masking or electrical tape - NOT to water proof it, but to stop the emulsion from getting inside the tiny crevices and metal terminals. If that happens, the connectors would be stuffed.
Then after wrapping, dip the connector in some kind of wax that dries and seals the wrap including some portion of the wires protruding at either end. Something that can be peeled open without making a mess later on. I’ve seen a bottled liquid electrical insulator that dries like solid vinyl that might work best because it’s flexible.
Just thinking out loud Stu, so fully your own risk if you want to try it. Maybe try it on some surplus connectors you may have laying around, and test if removal won’t be a pain. If it works it shouldn’t affect your warranty because you haven’t really changed anything.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
That actually sounds like a decent solution to me mate. Dont suppose you happen to have a link to a suitable substance?

Failing that, we could quite simply use a big blob of silicon sealant. I really need to pull it apart to do this. Just never find the time!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
That actually sounds like a decent solution to me mate. Dont suppose you happen to have a link to a suitable substance?

Failing that, we could quite simply use a big blob of silicon sealant. I really need to pull it apart to do this. Just never find the time!
Silicon sealant might actually work.
The emulsion I was talking about is called Performix Liquid Tape. I can get them in Mitre10 or Bunnings here in NZ. Not sure if available over there...
41A40BD1-8677-4072-B0A6-0A50D57C382C.png

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
The water made it into here and caused the issue.

View attachment 24778
Stu when you had water in here was it causing the bike to power up by itself the same as the controller issue. Mine keeps powering itself on and my hopeless LBS says they swapped the switch and it wasn't the problem but don't know what is. Is this connector under what could be loosely termed the bashguard. Also when you fitted the 42 tooth cassette did you do it with the standard SLX derailleur

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
There is a button on your 2019-2020 Giant charger. When you press it the charge will stop at 60% which is a safe value for long time storage. The battery doesn't like to be stored (means long time) empty (it will damage it) or fully charged (it adds more stress on the elements)

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Stu when you had water in here was it causing the bike to power up by itself the same as the controller issue. Mine keeps powering itself on and my hopeless LBS says they swapped the switch and it wasn't the problem but don't know what is. Is this connector under what could be loosely termed the bashguard. Also when you fitted the 42 tooth cassette did you do it with the standard SLX derailleur

Yes indeed. Same symptoms as the controller issue.
And yes, had to wind the B screw right in to make it clear the 42 but it worked just fine. :)

I later switched to an XT Deraillier and that needed some dremel work.

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
Interesting you should reply to this topic today...

Taking the 2020 Trance 2 back to the shop with bloody battery issues!
I'm just glad we don't have the same weather conditions over here. I gave into temptation and washed the bike and thats when it started again. You would think by now that they would have these issues sorted but the most annoying thing is when you I go to my LBS they say "we talked to the rep and they haven't heard of this problem"?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I'm just glad we don't have the same weather conditions over here. I gave into temptation and washed the bike and thats when it started again. You would think by now that they would have these issues sorted but the most annoying thing is when you I go to my LBS they say "we talked to the rep and they haven't heard of this problem"?

It is aboslutely infuriating mate.
I bought the new 2020 in February and in the first two weeks it had a speed sensor and a controller.
To be fair, I’ve done 1100 miles on mine since then and it’s been fine. Until last weekend. (See my new video in the GIANT topic section)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I need to sit down at some point and come up with some better water protection solution than Giant did. Sadly I don’t have their budget or manpower to do so.

Were it me, all these connectors would be up in the frame behind the battery, not behind a cover that gets submerged in river crossings etc.
heat shrink? That's what I'd use if mine was like that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles