Levo Gen 2 2019-2021 Turbo Levo rear tire/tyre clearance?

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
I'm happily considering a Turbo Levo (non SL), but I have a concern. Coming off a Santa Cruz Bronson with 27.5"x2.6" tires front and back, and I'm concerned about the traction I would get with the 2.3" tire that comes with the bike. Therefore I would like to fit a wider 29' tire to the bike for more traction. Maybe a 29"x2.5" tire. I don't want to go to 27.5" wheels this bike, not the least of which is the is ^@#%^% expensive.

The shop I have been talking to has given me mixed answers, so I came here to see what others with first hand experience have found. Any feedback from all of you is much appreciated. *Cheers*

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
29*2,6 Fits well even with sicomtb mudguards.
1603081852172.png

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I've ridden EC rear and MM on front. Recently I've replaced rear EC with E-wild, very noticeable difference with better rolling resistance and better grip (still Ewild was new and EC has 2000kms on it). Still delaying to replace front MM with Ewild as MM is very good front tire and it still has plenty of thread ...

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
I'm running 2.6 Eddy Currents with SICOMTB rear mudguard as well and have no clearance issues. Have a set on Michelin E-Wild's ready to go when/if the Eddy's wear out (awesome tires!). How are you liking the E-Wild's on your Levo?

I was looking for better grip in wet conditions. I think Butcher and Eliminator are good for dry and solid surface.
I swapped tires just few days ago and I have ride only around 25kms with new tires. So far I think the grip is better in wet with Ewilds and I am satisfied currently.

Eddy's thread is much rougher and I saw in some reviews that few features are poor for my requirements. Here some comparison photos of these two tyres.

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Thank you for your replies.

I need to add that their excuse is that rocks could get caught between the tire and the frame. Do any of you feel/think this would be an issue? How much clearance do you have down near the bottom bracket on the piece between the chainstays? Thanks in advance.

I thought I read somewhere that Specialized claimed they used the 2.3" rear tire because they thought it handled better, but I wonder if it was in fact cost cutting.

As for this local shop, I have been lied to by them before, and hence why I'm asking all of you. I' thinking that they just don't want to switch it out. The shops here are use to having it easy, and they have gotten lazy. One in the area tends to mark up items over MSRP. They have a Trek Rail on their website listed for $300/~255 Euro over MSRP.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@BadPiggy Yes, it is a bit of a conundrum. It appears, by quick googling, as if the 2019 (?) and 2021 models were/are 2.3" rear, whilst 2020 2.6" rear. No idea why or what the truth is but unlikely to be cost saving as even the s-works is now 2.3 afaics ... better rider experience from feedback would be another story, I really don't know.?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Despite the Spesh website stating that Levos came with a 2.3 rear tyre, in practise in the UK (and I think Europe) they were delivered with 2.6.
So......2.6 fits OK. MY 2019 Levo Comp came with Butcher Grid 2.6 front and back. Whilst OK in the dry/hardpack, the Butchers are not good in the wet /mud and in my experience 2.6 on the back gives precious little clearance if you are running in muddy conditions. Throughout the very dry UK summer I ran 2.3 Eliminators front and back and found them pretty good both in terms of grip and rolling resistance. Now with wetter conditions I have changed to Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4. These are a different level. Front wheel grip is amazing and rear wheel traction is good provided it is not dry and dusty. Both are very reliable running at fairly low pressure tubeless and fitting them tubeless was a breeze. Overall I prefer lower volume tyres ( 2.3/2.4) for grip and stability and clearance..... and would only run 2.6 for greater comfort on a long xc type adventure ride.

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
Despite the Spesh website stating that Levos came with a 2.3 rear tyre, in practise in the UK (and I think Europe) they were delivered with 2.6.
So......2.6 fits OK. MY 2019 Levo Comp came with Butcher Grid 2.6 front and back. Whilst OK in the dry/hardpack, the Butchers are not good in the wet /mud and in my experience 2.6 on the back gives precious little clearance if you are running in muddy conditions. Throughout the very dry UK summer I ran 2.3 Eliminators front and back and found them pretty good both in terms of grip and rolling resistance. Now with wetter conditions I have changed to Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4. These are a different level. Front wheel grip is amazing and rear wheel traction is good provided it is not dry and dusty. Both are very reliable running at fairly low pressure tubeless and fitting them tubeless was a breeze. Overall I prefer lower volume tyres ( 2.3/2.4) for grip and stability and clearance..... and would only run 2.6 for greater comfort on a long xc type adventure ride.

We just changed tyres to two turbo levo. Another bike had 2.3" and another 2.6" eliminator rear wheel. Bikes were bought from Finland and Germany. Width difference is so small that is hard to notice it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Certainly the UK bikes were delivered with 2.6 Butchers. It is not the width that is the problem with clearance on the back tyre. It is the height of the tyre wall. It leaves very little room for a mudguard between the tyre and the chain stay cross member. It does improve when the tread is worn down a little though!!

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I think the consensus is that the Butcher 2.6 will fit "OK" without a mudguard. I'm located in north Arkansas USA. I don't ride in wet muddy conditions (not an option for many of you), so I'm not really concerned about a mudguard at this time. Riding in wet muddy conditions is highly discouraged locally to protect the trails from damage. I have allot of public trails available to me, many of which drain very well and can be ridden soon after heavy rain. We do sometimes get in a freeze thaw cycle where the ground freezes solid at night, and thaws during the day which makes nearly all trails un-ridable without damage, but when it's that cold I probable won't be riding in it anyway. :cool:

Thanks again everyone. Now do I go large or medium? :)

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I think the consensus is that the Butcher 2.6 will fit "OK" without a mudguard. I'm located in north Arkansas USA. I don't ride in wet muddy conditions (not an option for many of you), so I'm not really concerned about a mudguard at this time. Riding in wet muddy conditions is highly discouraged locally to protect the trails from damage. I have allot of public trails available to me, many of which drain very well and can be ridden soon after heavy rain. We do sometimes get in a freeze thaw cycle where the ground freezes solid at night, and thaws during the day which makes nearly all trails un-ridable without damage, but when it's that cold I probable won't be riding in it anyway. :cool:

Thanks again everyone. Now do I go large or medium? :)
I ride in a semi-desertic area, so I use the "mudguard" as a "rockguard". I'm currently using a Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5 , zero issues.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Suomi tyres 29 2.6 Piikkisika is very tall winter tyre. In that picture it's with innertube and on i30 wheel, with tubeless there could be problems with fitting. Width is not the problem.
Innertube because i had faulty tires, sidewalls leaked air.

IMG_5096.jpeg

Here is 27.5 2.8 Magic Mary(tubeless) and 29 2.6 Piikkisika.
IMG_5035.jpeg

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
27.5 3.0 Suomi Tyres Fat Freddies fits with no problem. So, maybe i will try 3.0 Dirt Wizards next summer.

35E2F688-28B1-4146-AED2-EB593C57355B.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles