Levo Gen 2 2019 / 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo info and FAQ

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
sorry my bad english. The correct order to disconnect the ebike from the electrical current should always be first from the electricity source and after running out of power, you must disconnect the cable from the ebike without any risk to the battery. This should be the case for all electrical appliances. The man in the video does it wrong.
This way I am charging the battery of my actual E-MTB. But I have some power tools where the manual says to do it in the opposite order. And in the manual of the Specialized Turbo Levo it also says the same (like the man in the video does). I'm not sure if it is right or wrong, but here it is:

charging.png

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Specialized charger has a controller which starts to charge with a second or two delay after you plug it to the battery so IMHO it's not so critical in which order you plug in each end. But I've also heard some other bikes/chargers will not charge if you don't plug it in the way manual says.

Last edited:
This way I am charging the battery of my actual E-MTB. But I have some power tools where the manual says to do it in the opposite order. And in the manual of the Specialized Turbo Levo it also says the same (like the man in the video does). I'm not sure if it is right or wrong, but here it is:

View attachment 42105
Regardless of what they say in the manual, having worked as a train driver on 750vDC and it'll apply to all high voltage circuits. You always isolate the higher voltage first. That way you reduce the chance of sparking and risk to life. So it's safer to turn off at the mains first when unplugging the charger and turn on at the mains last when starting to charge.

J200George

Jun 14, 2020
Glasgow United Kingdom
When did the Levo get the bigger 700kwH battery?

there’s a 2020 local to me for sale that has a 500kwH.

If I buy a 700 is it a straight swap and pack the 500 as an extender for longer runs.

Seller saying there’s over three years warranty but presumably that’s just on the battery? How long on other components.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
When did the Levo get the bigger 700kwH battery?

there’s a 2020 local to me for sale that has a 500kwH.

If I buy a 700 is it a straight swap and pack the 500 as an extender for longer runs.

Seller saying there’s over three years warranty but presumably that’s just on the battery? How long on other components.
4 year warranty on motor only now it was extended a few months ago. I'm sure battery 1 year only.

J200George

Jun 14, 2020
Glasgow United Kingdom
Does the warranty pass over from original to each subsequent owner? Seller wasn’t original owner and the bike has c1500miles on it.
The bike has the original motor in it which tbh I am not keen on as knowing my luck it’ll turn to guacamole first time I’m in the hills.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Does the warranty pass over from original to each subsequent owner? Seller wasn’t original owner and the bike has c1500miles on it.
The bike has the original motor in it which tbh I am not keen on as knowing my luck it’ll turn to guacamole first time I’m in the hills.
Warranty passes on to new owner.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Can someone post picture how much battery comes out when 2020-2021 Levo comp is on the ground? I'm wondering how much you have to lift bike that battery slides out?

Thanks.

rwhitfie

Sep 14, 2020
Gloucester
Can someone post picture how much battery comes out when 2020-2021 Levo comp is on the ground? I'm wondering how much you have to lift bike that battery slides out?

Thanks.
It’s a two man job unless you’re built like popeye as the bike needs the clearance and the Dow tube is at an angle, it’s a good couple of feet … best in a stand or flip the bike over on grass or something soft with the belly to the sky.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
It’s a two man job unless you’re built like popeye as the bike needs the clearance and the Dow tube is at an angle, it’s a good couple of feet … best in a stand or flip the bike over on grass or something soft with the belly to the sky.
Okay, thanks. Levo is not for me then.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Or you just lay the bike on its side and slide it out??????????????????????????????????????????????
I have to slide battery out 2-4 times/week in wintertime. Bike is outside about 8 hours a day. Sometimes -30 celsius.
And in home i had to remove it for charging also.

Not very handy vs Trek's battery with handle i.e.

I have to slide battery out 2-4 times/week in wintertime. Bike is outside about 8 hours a day. Sometimes -30 celsius.
And in home i had to remove it for charging also.

Not very handy vs Trek's battery with handle i.e.
What, so you find it hard to lay the bike over on its side? Indoors just charge it in situ. You don't have to remove the battery to charge it.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
What, so you find it hard to lay the bike over on its side? Indoors just charge it in situ. You don't have to remove the battery to charge it.

Yes i do, it's not allowed charge your bike at our bike storage.
Have you often removed battery with allen key in -30celsius? Mosty in dark in early morning? I have, it's not something you want to spend extra time with. :LOL:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Agree upside down. Someon
Hope he never gets a puncture eh.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Hope he never gets a puncture eh.

For that i have tubeless and puncture plugs! If those aren't enough you walk home anyway. :D
Oh, do you have punctures several times per week? Stupid analog.

Specialized has pain in the butt battery desing, that's a fact. Even how much you love you Levo. ;)

Specialized has pain in the butt battery desing, that's a fact. Even how much you love you Levo. ;)

I disagree. It's a superb design with the battery in a waterproof compartment in the down tube. People that I've spoken to don't even realise it's a eMTB. It's a shame that you don't have the mental capacity to think of a way to overcome a tiny problem that only you seem to have.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
For that i have tubeless and puncture plugs! If those aren't enough you walk home anyway. :D
Oh, do you have punctures several times per week? Stupid analog.

Specialized has pain in the butt battery desing, that's a fact. Even how much you love you

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
It remains to be seen what is outcome, i have Trek Rail 7 reserved, but if it delays i have already made arragements for getting Levo Comp instead.
That battery designs annoys me, but maybe i can live with it if i have to. Trek and Levo are my only options though.

It remains to be seen what is outcome, i have Trek Rail 7 reserved, but if it delays i have already made arragements for getting Levo Comp instead.
That battery designs annoys me, but maybe i can live with it if i have to. Trek and Levo are my only options though.
Depending on the design of your bike store, you might be able to make a hook that hooks over the door at the top and into which you could hang the front of the bike off the ground while you take out the battery. You've just got to apply some brain power to find an easy solution.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I just apply rear brake, lift front end right over and place bars on a work bench. Bike is now resting upside down on the rear tyre and bars with down tube horizontal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles