2018 Trek Powerfly FS 9 LT

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
So I am looking at Levo and Kenevo mainly as my first eMTB but as I have never ridden one, I have managed to get a 48hour demo on the trek so will get a feel for eMTB!!! Does anyone have the trek, what are your thoughts, have you compared to a levo etc?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a 2017 Trek Powerfly FS LT 8 and I think it's awesome. I have ridden a 2016 Levo and (very briefly) a 2018 Kenevo but not for long enough to make any comparisons truly valuable. All three had me grinning like a loon, as any eBike is likely to do, but the Levo is definitely not the right fit for me; to get the reach I want I'd need an XL. I'm 5'9 (and a half) ffs! The Kenevo is better in that respect.

Motor:
I really like the way the Bosch produces power, but it is a generation behind when it comes to connectivity, and tuneability. Nothing touches the Spesh
bikes in this respect. Assuming you will leave your bike restricted like me, the way the Spesh decouples the motor when you are over the speed restriction is superior to the Bosch where you are always turning the motor. It's not insurmountable, but it is obvious.

Handling:
In my opinion, the Trek is superior to the Levo I rode, but I don't know what changes have been made to the frame and components on the Levo in the last 2 years. I haven't had a good enough ride on a Kenevo to judge it, but I'd expect to outperform the Trek when it gets gnarly. I did think both Spesh bikes were underbraked, especially when you consider it's only M6000 brakes on my Trek, the same as my 10kg lighter Mega...

Aesthetics:

Spesh win hands down. No question. In red or black. Not so keen on the other colours.
I didn't buy my Trek to admire from afar, I bought it ride, far. Which is just as well. It's outdated now, with the exposed battery and it's a bit of a plain Jane in the looks stakes. It is a right goer though... The 2018 bikes are both prettier with their semi-integrated batteries and nicer colours though.

Summary:
By all means test ride the hell out of the Trek to get a feel for eBikes, but don't hand over any cash until you've tried a Levo/Kenevo as well.
I personally wouldn't buy any Bosch motored eBike at the moment, unless it's stupidly, and I mean Brexit levels of stupidity here, cheap. Bosch are behind the curve now and have to be working on something or they will get left behind.
However, I also wouldn't buy a Spesh right now either. I'd hang on until the 2019 are announced, just in case there's a major change like a bigger battery. Then you have the choice of buying the latest model or getting a cracking discount on a 2018 bike.

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
I have a 2017 Trek Powerfly FS LT 8 and I think it's awesome. I have ridden a 2016 Levo and (very briefly) a 2018 Kenevo but not for long enough to make any comparisons truly valuable. All three had me grinning like a loon, as any eBike is likely to do, but the Levo is definitely not the right fit for me; to get the reach I want I'd need an XL. I'm 5'9 (and a half) ffs! The Kenevo is better in that respect.

Motor:
I really like the way the Bosch produces power, but it is a generation behind when it comes to connectivity, and tuneability. Nothing touches the Spesh
bikes in this respect. Assuming you will leave your bike restricted like me, the way the Spesh decouples the motor when you are over the speed restriction is superior to the Bosch where you are always turning the motor. It's not insurmountable, but it is obvious.

Handling:
In my opinion, the Trek is superior to the Levo I rode, but I don't know what changes have been made to the frame and components on the Levo in the last 2 years. I haven't had a good enough ride on a Kenevo to judge it, but I'd expect to outperform the Trek when it gets gnarly. I did think both Spesh bikes were underbraked, especially when you consider it's only M6000 brakes on my Trek, the same as my 10kg lighter Mega...

Aesthetics:
Spesh win hands down. No question. In red or black. Not so keen on the other colours.
I didn't buy my Trek to admire from afar, I bought it ride, far. Which is just as well. It's outdated now, with the exposed battery and it's a bit of a plain Jane in the looks stakes. It is a right goer though... The 2018 bikes are both prettier with their semi-integrated batteries and nicer colours though.

Summary:
By all means test ride the hell out of the Trek to get a feel for eBikes, but don't hand over any cash until you've tried a Levo/Kenevo as well.
I personally wouldn't buy any Bosch motored eBike at the moment, unless it's stupidly, and I mean Brexit levels of stupidity here, cheap. Bosch are behind the curve now and have to be working on something or they will get left behind.
However, I also wouldn't buy a Spesh right now either. I'd hang on until the 2019 are announced, just in case there's a major change like a bigger battery. Then you have the choice of buying the latest model or getting a cracking discount on a 2018 bike.
Thanks, loads of valuable info??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles