2018 Specialized Turbo Levo Review - First ever YouTube rideout video

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hey Rob

Nice video, Levo looks beautiful.

Hopefully, you have miss heard the Specialized Tech, because 50 psi o_O is insane for 2.8 tyres on 38mm rims and way beyond the maximum most wheel manufacturers recommend for that size tyre / rim combo.

I would have thought 15 front 18 rear off - road use, is about right and I would say early 30's as a maximum if you were using it on the road and looking to reduce the rolling resistance. Can't really find much useful info on the Specialized site, but DT Swiss, for instance offer the "attached PDF" as a guide for your information.

Generally if, as you say, you are not getting the grip levels you desire, and especially when its wet, slippy and speed is lower, try a few psi less, I would have thought 10-13 would be ok, perhaps even less, but I don't know much about that tyre? If it's a bit soft in the carcass side walls, as a lot of the plus size tyres often are, and the tyre start's to roll on the rim, you will need to add a bit more. If and when the going is generally dryer and faster, you will need to add pressure, perhaps 18 - 21 might work well, lots of trial and error until you find the sweet spot.

Not sure how dialed in your suspension is? but as you have just got the bike I would imagine you are just starting to find a setup that works, very hard to do if you are sharing the bike with the Mrs, unless you happen to be pretty similar weights and riding style's? But again "generally" If its wet and slippy, perhaps try a bit more sag on the front and rear to soften the suspension a bit and make sure you are running as little rebound damping as you only actually need to help retain grip. I would have thought Dry 25 - 30% and Wet 30 - 35%

But if all else fails, you could fit one of these upfront :devilish:

Schwalbe Magic Mary Addix MTB Tyre - Downhill | Chain Reaction Cycles

Not available in 2.8 (not much that is any good is at the moment) only available in 2.6 but an awesome winter front tyre. :)

Finding the perfect setup, which does not actually exist of course, can take quite a bit of effort and lots of riding to achieve., but really is worth the effort in the end. Only took me two year's, so far, to find my perfect setup :LOL: but I'm nearly there, I think? :confused:

Attachments

• MAN_WXWXXXXXX1610S_WEB_ZZ_001.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 665
Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey Rob

Nice video, Levo looks beautiful.

Hopefully, you have miss heard the Specialized Tech, because 50 psi o_O is insane for 2.8 tyres on 38mm rims and way beyond the maximum most wheel manufacturers recommend for that size tyre / rim combo.

I would have thought 15 front 18 rear off - road use, is about right and I would say early 30's as a maximum if you were using it on the road and looking to reduce the rolling resistance. Can't really find much useful info on the Specialized site, but DT Swiss, for instance offer the "attached PDF" as a guide for your information.

Generally if, as you say, you are not getting the grip levels you desire, and especially when its wet, slippy and speed is lower, try a few psi less, I would have thought 10-13 would be ok, perhaps even less, but I don't know much about that tyre? If it's a bit soft in the carcass side walls, as a lot of the plus size tyres often are, and the tyre start's to roll on the rim, you will need to add a bit more. If and when the going is generally dryer and faster, you will need to add pressure, perhaps 18 - 21 might work well, lots of trial and error until you find the sweet spot.

Not sure how dialed in your suspension is? but as you have just got the bike I would imagine you are just starting to find a setup that works, very hard to do if you are sharing the bike with the Mrs, unless you happen to be pretty similar weights and riding style's? But again "generally" If its wet and slippy, perhaps try a bit more sag on the front and rear to soften the suspension a bit and make sure you are running as little rebound damping as you only actually need to help retain grip. I would have thought Dry 25 - 30% and Wet 30 - 35%

But if all else fails, you could fit one of these upfront :devilish:

Schwalbe Magic Mary Addix MTB Tyre - Downhill | Chain Reaction Cycles

Not available in 2.8 (not much that is any good is at the moment) only available in 2.6 but an awesome winter front tyre. :)

Finding the right setup, which does not actually exist of course, can take quite a bit of effort and lots of riding to achieve., but really is worth the effort in the end. Only took me two year's, so far, to find my perfect setup :LOL: but I'm nearly there, I think? :confused:
Amazin, thanks dude! Well, today I ordered the Expert Levo in XL from my local bike shop which will be here next week :eek:. That has Ohlins on the front and a different rear shock so I will hopefully get this dialled in perfectly, instead of quickly changing sag between me and wife.

Yes, the tech did say he puts in 50 psi, I even double checked he wasn’t saying 15 by asking him twice! Seems to work for him anyway! I am a fan of Schwalbe tyres having the Hans Dampf on other bikes. Hopefully we will see a much better selection of 2.8 tyres soon.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
A 2.6" Schwalbe will probably be as wide as a 2.8" Maxxis tyre. Maxxis take their measurement at maximum inflation pressure so always end up being narrower.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Amazin, thanks dude! Well, today I ordered the Expert Levo in XL from my local bike shop which will be here next week :eek:. That has Ohlins on the front and a different rear shock so I will hopefully get this dialled in perfectly, instead of quickly changing sag between me and wife.

Yes, the tech did say he puts in 50 psi, I even double checked he wasn’t saying 15 by asking him twice! Seems to work for him anyway! I am a fan of Schwalbe tyres having the Hans Dampf on other bikes. Hopefully we will see a much better selection of 2.8 tyres soon.

Hell Rob :oops: You don't mess around!

That's got a great spec

Ohlins forks will be very nice, Carbon rims, Code brakes ........... Nice very nice :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hell Rob :oops: You don't mess around!

That's got a great spec

Ohlins forks will be very nice, Carbon rims, Code brakes ........... Nice very nice :)
I know, its massive spec! Way more than I need to be honest, BUT I’ve been looking at buying a bike for ages now for myself and I didn’t want to get the exact same spec as we already have. I want that fresh new bike feeling, like everything is new, and I wouldn’t get that by getting the Comp Carbon :p *thats how I justified it to myself* :LOL:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just reading about the Ohlins fork, they look like they are more in depth to setup. I’m more a set and forget, so Ohlins might take lots of fiddling to get right.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Just reading about the Ohlins fork, they look like they are more in depth to setup. I’m more a set and forget, so Ohlins might take lots of fiddling to get right.

Like it Set and Forget :LOL:

Can't help with Ohlins setup don't know anything about thier Mtb products.

Had a set on my old Ducati Multistrada and they were lush !!

TF Tuned are Ohlins dealers, very nice people to deal with.

E

EddieJ

Japuserid, if it is of any use to you, the Magic Mary is available in 2.8 blue, speed grip. I have just put one on the front of my Giant XCT Advanced Plus 1. A superb tyre, that offers obscene grip, even in the current wet and muddy conditions.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Japuserid, if it is of any use to you, the Magic Mary is available in 2.8 blue, speed grip. I have just put one on the front of my Giant XCT Advanced Plus 1. A superb tyre, that offers obscene grip, even in the current wet and muddy conditions.

Thanks Eddie

Appreciate your help,

Personally I tend to only buy the DH versions, I hate messing around with punctures and love the grip from the Ultra soft, compound especially in winter.

11100966.0165-584 (27.5 x 2.60) Downhill Addix Ultra Soft

Not tried the apex or the Addix soft yet?

1160101270-584 (27.5 x 2.80) SnakeSkin, TL Easy Apex Addix Soft

I will have to give it a go :)

E

EddieJ

Annoyingly I can only view the forum now using my phone since the change of server chrome and ie don't seem to like it and are now blocking it. This makes adding, viewing links and info a complete pain. If it sorts itself out, I'll add some tyre info for you.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Annoyingly I can only view the forum now using my phone since the change of server chrome and ie don't seem to like it and are now blocking it. This makes adding, viewing links and info a complete pain. If it sorts itself out, I'll add some tyre info for you.
Your ISP / Router are still caching old server. Try restarting router. That might help. Along with the usual reset internet cache / cookies etc.

E

EddieJ

Thanks Rob, I keep getting the message "Your connection is not secure" I'll give your advice a try. My one fingered slow typing phone method is very painful.☺

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
No probs @EddieJJ. The reason for that is that you are still being pointed to old server, and your browser knows its a duplicate site, hence the security advisory.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Good vid Rob . Looks like they have sorted the newer Levo wth the settings on the bars etc . The one I had on trial I was running 12 psi on the front , and that had a softer less grippy tyre on than the butcher , Iam Also quite heavy. Would have liked to try it on slimmer tyres I think , the fat tyres felt a bit sketchy at times on mud and dry loose . New one sounds awesome with Öhlins fork
I think your teck guy is talking crap with 50 psi ,my local dealer told me to run well under 20

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
good Vid Rob
I have 2.8 magic mary on the front of mine addix soft, got an orange stripe down it, grips like hell, also changed the forks for lyriks rct3 s as I found the revs a bit harsh for my weight and didnt grip very well.
re the gearing.On my 2017 levo I would have put the sram ex1 setup on that but on the 2018 I have decided not to, its down to the battery tune with eco and trail only giving you as much motor current as the assist figure you do need to spin a lot more. spesh recommend a cadence of 70ish which does mean a bit more gear changing but in my opinion the 2018 is even more like riding a normal bike than the 2017 was.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
and I run my tyre pressures 18 on the back and 16 on the front and I weigh 105kgs I think max tyre pressure for 2.8-3.0 is about 30-35 psi set by the manufacturer. anything above 20 and my tyres ping about and slide all over the place

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Just a thought on tyre pressures.....or at least those very high figures.
I picked up my bike a few days ago, and watched the shop do the set-up. It was great to learn about the bike as they unboxed it - I wanted to take part ?
These are my first tubeless tyres, so watched how they fixed and filled these.
They put 40psi in - BUT....this was just to seat the tyres properly, flow the liquid around the wheel - leave them over night (it was already late) and then let them down to much lower psi for actual use....I wonder if that was what they meant by the crazy high 50psi figure Rob?

Anyway, was going to ask about tyre pressures, but this thread has answered my questions :)

If you ride on the road to get to your trails, do people tweak pressures up and down (depending on surface etc0

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
By the way - thanks for the video, one of the few British ones I could find on the Levo while I waited for mine to arrive - lots of Italian and Spanish on youtube!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles