2018 jam2 plus Ltd internal battery

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
How hard can it be to get a new frame battery (bike now out of warranty)
Fired off loads of emails to loads of dealers and the most of them don't answer. One dealer has answered and has emailed Derby cycles to request a price and availability of said battery but even they haven't answered the dealers. I'm starting to bang my head against the wall with this one.
I have just sent a bit of a begging email off to Focus again to see if they can get the ball rolling in locating a new battery. I love the bike but find their after sales service shocking.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Until Focus drag their digit from their fundament and provide some customer service, is it possible to obtain a TEC pack and use that to boost your Whr? At least you will be able to get out.

Whatever happens, please keep this thread updated. I might need this someday.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Until Focus drag their digit from their fundament and provide some customer service, is it possible to obtain a TEC pack and use that to boost your Whr? At least you will be able to get out.

Whatever happens, please keep this thread updated. I might need this someday.
Yes they seem to lack customer service. I do have the tech pack and use that on the bigger rides say 40 mile plus with up to 4000ft climbing.
I do a 21 miler on a Wednesday night and I used to do that with just the frame battery and finish with at least 2 bars and this is mostly eco. I'm now on red with zero miles range left when I get back.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Had this reply from Focus................

Thank you very much for your mail!
We apologize for any inconvenience and delays.
The high demand in the market caused some difficulties for some of our main suppliers of the battery.

The new batteries will be available in January next year and then you can order a new one.

So that's what they said, but yet again they don't answer my questions very well. I understand that demand is high and parts slow to get and if it's January than so be it.
But my question was why are dealers not answering me ? Why is Derby cycles not answering the dealer that did get back to me ? So how the he'll do I get to purchase a battery in January if all these factors keep going on, it's not as if I can just go on line and order one because you have to be a dealer.
Talk about bang head against a wall.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Jollyjoiner I see you are from Chesterfield. JEJames in Sheffield is who I bought my Focus from and I found them to provide first class service. I have not had to deal with them for a while now ( :) ) but I can 100% recommend them.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
@Jollyjoiner I see you are from Chesterfield. JEJames in Sheffield is who I bought my Focus from and I found them to provide first class service. I have not had to deal with them for a while now ( :) ) but I can 100% recommend them.

I emailed them nearly 2 weeks ago and had no reply and this is the second time of trying with them too. I was going to call in and see them bit I've just not had the time.

Wheelbase have got back to me today and Derby Cycles have told them and new battery would be £540 but it would have to go on back order for sometime in January maybe. Wheelbase also said they are not sure if there would be any carriage to pay on top of that with it being a battery and international delivery.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I only bothered with email when I was sending pics or I wanted to record what was being agreed. I always phoned instead 0114 292 3103, go for the ebike shop option.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I only bothered with email when I was sending pics or I wanted to record what was being agreed. I always phoned instead 0114 292 3103, go for the ebike shop option.
Wheelbase just messaged again and said they would just need a deposit to order the battery, I'll have a think tonight on what I want to do, leave it as is and use tech pack everytime for 6 months and then sell the bike and get anew Scott or cube, or buy battery and keep for another 18 months or so. I bought bike March 2018 and I've done 4000miles on it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Wheelbase just messaged again and said they would just need a deposit to order the battery, I'll have a think tonight on what I want to do, leave it as is and use tech pack everytime for 6 months and then sell the bike and get anew Scott or cube, or buy battery and keep for another 18 months or so. I bought bike March 2018 and I've done 4000miles on it.

The 2nd hand value of the Focus with a duff frame battery will be very low. Plus you'll have the extra 2.2kg to carry about with you even on the short rides. On the other hand, £540 for a new battery is not small change, plus installation of course! But for that cost, you will get a bike for 18 months and still have a good 2nd hand value, better in fact because the battery will still be under warranty.

Try to establish your costs over the next 2 years under two headings new battery, no battery. Include the cost of the new bike and the likely used value of your existing bike and your new bike under the two scenarios (ie what you lost on each one). You will probably find that buying a new battery is cheaper.
Then judge the fun angle! :)

Last edited:

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
The 2nd had value of the Focus with a duff frame battery will be very low. Plus you'll have the extra 2.2kg to carry about with you even on the short rides. On the other hand, £540 for a new battery is not small change, plus installation of course! But for that cost, you will get a bike for 18 months and still have a good 2nd hand value, better in fact because the battery will still be under warranty.

Try to establish your costs over the next 2 years under two headings new battery, no battery. Include the cost of the new bike and the likely used value of your existing bike and your new bike under the two scenarios (ie what you lost on each one). You will probably find that buying a new battery is cheaper.
Then judge the fun angle! :)
When you say duff it's not actually duff. it charged to 88% today and even though I had the tech pack on the bike it managed tonights 2o mile ride with 2 bars showing, I think it was showing about 6 mile range left on eco. So the bike can still do the miles, just lost 10% or range. Like I say I always have to have the tech pack on for Sunday rides because of the millage and climbing we do so I'm used to the extra weight.
My mate offered me 2k for it last month for his Mrs but this still leaves me another 2 or 2.5k to put on top. With the prices of second hand bikes on a high at the moment it looks like I could get a good price for if I did sell.
My thoughts after talking with my mate tonight are keep the bike as it is and just use the tech pack for the weekend rides, With the tech pack I still have 660wh to play with taking off the 12% loss. Save the £540, ride it another year, then advertise it and then buy new bike :)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I am interested to hear about your battery experience as mine is showing the same deterioration...my bike is the same age as yours with 3000 miles it now only charges to 4 bars even with the last minute top up before a ride.
I have a TEC pack for the longer rides but am not now confident on the in frame battery range. Seems this degradation is not unusual.
FWTW Rutland ,the supplier, thought the degradation was high .. also advised they have a warranty claim on a new one for which they have been waiting 6 months from Focus.

The future for battery supply might NOT be too good ..The whole world is being encouraged to go electric everything thereby using up available supplies of rew materials AND electricity.......We might all be back on clockwork bikes again! if we survive the china pox.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I am interested to hear about your battery experience as mine is showing the same deterioration...my bike is the same age as yours with 3000 miles it now only charges to 4 bars even with the last minute top up before a ride.
I have a TEC pack for the longer rides but am not now confident on the in frame battery range. Seems this degradation is not unusual.
FWTW Rutland ,the supplier, thought the degradation was high .. also advised they have a warranty claim on a new one for which they have been waiting 6 months from Focus.

The future for battery supply might NOT be too good ..The whole world is being encouraged to go electric everything thereby using up available supplies of rew materials AND electricity.......We might all be back on clockwork bikes again! if we survive the china pox.
Yes I went though all this with Focus in March when my bike was just under two years old. Like I said they told me it was within their tolerances and I could send it in but would charge me 100 euro to send it back if they found no fault with it. I found one problem to be that no one in the UK has the ability to test a Focus battery which I found to be poor after sales service.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Yes I went though all this with Focus in March when my bike was just under two years old. Like I said they told me it was within their tolerances and I could send it in but would charge me 100 euro to send it back if they found no fault with it. I found one problem to be that no one in the UK has the ability to test a Focus battery which I found to be poor after sales service.

Rutland claim to have a tester but said that if the batt is faulty I dont stand a chance of a warranty claim.

The only reason I would not buy Focus again is the difficulty getting reliable info on things like this BUT what manufacturer does handle customer questions well?

Last edited:

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Rutland claim to have a tester but said that if the batt is faulty I dont stand a chance of a warranty claim.

The only reason I would not buy Focus again is the difficulty getting reliable info on things like this BUT what manufacturer does handle customer questions well?
Yes I love the bike buy the after sales service from Focus (derby cycles is terrible)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Not sure if this is potentially an issue or not but, coming home today I had two bars left on the internal battery, had one hill left so thought I'd have a bit of boost, 3/4 of the way up and without warning it just turned off completely (the assistance) and went straight to the red flashing light.

Anyone else had this happen? Got one month left on warranty and it's done 2250 miles. ?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
somewhat similar when down to 2 bars and a short spurt in eco suddenly dropped to RED and seemed to have less power than normal....got home by switching off where possible but this happened long before I would have expected it.
2 1/2 years and 3000miles degradation should not be this bad surely?

Get that warranty claim FAST.

H1 Dave

Dec 30, 2019
Earby, Lancashire
somewhat similar when down to 2 bars and a short spurt in eco suddenly dropped to RED and seemed to have less power than normal....got home by switching off where possible but this happened long before I would have expected it.
2 1/2 years and 3000miles degradation should not be this bad surely?

Get that warranty claim FAST.
Yep mine did exactly the same at about 18months old and 3500miles.
Battery knackered luckily it was replaced under warranty but was told new battery doesn't have a new warranty its just carried on from the original bike purchase warranty. Hope it doesn't go again as warranties now expired!!!!!
Dave

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Well something very strange has happened. Rode last Sunday, frame battery and tech pack charged. Used tech pack first until it went too 1 red bar after 22 miles (not flat, just onto thw red) Swap to internal battery and did another 12 miles and this only dropped 1 bar.
Out on Wednesday and used tech pack again on a full charge down to 2 bars.
Charged that one up Saturday and then put internal battery on charge after that which was on 4 bars. Checked it after it had done and it was showing 100% charge and 45mile range on eco just as it did when it was new. This is the first time it's done this for about 12 months as it's only been charging to 91% max with 40mile range showing.
Work that one out if you can ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The range predicted by the battery software varies with how you have been using the bike. On my bike, the range when brand new was 44 miles, and it stayed that way for a while as I got used to the bike and still had my analogue bike legs. Then as I started to thrash the motor a bit more the range started coming down. I think it went as low 38 miles. Then Lockdown1 came and I started to do a lot of tarmac miles riding towards something nice to ride. I could pile on the miles without using the battery and as a consequence the predicted range at the start of each ride started to increase. I got it back up above 40 (42 if I remember correctly). It's going back down again now.

EDIT: 23rd Mar'21
back up to 41miles on the frame battery, every time.

Last edited:

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
The range predicted by the battery software varies with how you have been using the bike. On my bike, the range when brand new was 44 miles, and it stayed that way for a while as I got used to the bike and still had my analogue bike legs. Then as I started to thrash the motor a bit more the range started coming down. I think it went as low 38 miles. Then Lockdown1 came and I started to do a lot of tarmac miles riding towards something nice to ride. I could pile on the miles without using the battery and as a consequence the predicted range at the start of each ride started to increase. I got it back up above 40 (42 if I remember correctly). It's going back down again now.
I hear what your saying with the range changing, which it does when I'm riding like it will do more range when I'm not doing any climbing but that's not what I'm on about. I use Stunlocker to look at the amount of charge that is in the battery once fully charged and it's only been showing 91% max for nearly a year now, infact I have to charge it a couple of times to get it to that. First charge from empty it gets to 83 or 85% and then switches off the charger so I leave it and then put it on again to get it to 91%. This time it was only down one bar and I charged it and it now shows 100% on the Stunlocker app which it's not done at all this year so far.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Not sure if this is potentially an issue or not but, coming home today I had two bars left on the internal battery, had one hill left so thought I'd have a bit of boost, 3/4 of the way up and without warning it just turned off completely (the assistance) and went straight to the red flashing light.

Anyone else had this happen? Got one month left on warranty and it's done 2250 miles. ?
Mine does that too. 2018 plus pro with 2200 miles on it. Seems to like the heat more than the cold. When Mine shuts off on a steep climb with two bars left I have to power it back up. It shuts down completely. ☹

Pixel05

Dec 15, 2020
France

same problem for me, Focus Jam² 2018, 2900 kms , what's more: at the end of charging, 1 battery bar is missing.
the dealer told me the battery is damaged, replacement 649 € + 70€ of labor, no warranty:mad::mad::mad:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
same problem for me, Focus Jam² 2018, 2900 kms , what's more: at the end of charging, 1 battery bar is missing.
the dealer told me the battery is damaged, replacement 649 € + 70€ of labor, no warranty:mad::mad::mad:

That's a lot of money for a relatively small battery!

Mine still charges to 100% at the moment, will probably change once the warranty has run out ?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Exactly the same for me . How long can I hang on until my new dream bike is available?
Meantime best use to the TEC pack as reserve .
Is this problem just because we have a “small” battery or do all Ebike batts deteriorate at the same rate.

Pixel05

Dec 15, 2020
France
finally, after 3 months of waiting, the battery is finally on the bike, and focus has taken care a part of the replacement. 200 euros at my expense. :)

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
finally, after 3 months of waiting, the battery is finally on the bike, and focus has taken care a part of the replacement. 200 euros at my expense. :)
Thats good that Focus have contributed towards the cost of the battery.
My internal Battery started to charge back up to 100% again a few months ago so was all good again but I have now sold the bike and replaced it with a Trek rail 5 625wh

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Mine does that too. 2018 plus pro with 2200 miles on it. Seems to like the heat more than the cold. When Mine shuts off on a steep climb with two bars left I have to power it back up. It shuts down completely. ☹
Mine has done the same thing since last year. Same year and model. Only on steep climbs. Otherwise is works fine until I get to the last bar. I have about the same mileage as you as well. I do live in the dry hot Nevada desert and don't ride unless it's at least 50 degrees and less than 105. Never in the wet. At the end of some of my rides there is a steep roughly 25 yard climb. With 3 bars I'm good, just hit 2 I'm good but 2-3 miles on 2 bars and it will shut down right in the middle of that climb. I hope they or someone comes out with a better battery for this bike as it is a great bike with modern geo and good speck. Sadly the battery is crap.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles