2018 Giant Full E+1 Pro

Focus73

Jan 16, 2018
Fylde Coast
Hi does anyone have one of these? Thinking of buying a mint used one with 500km on but can't find much about them on the forums. I have trolled the web and seen a few test reviews but would like to hear from fellow riders how good or bad they are on the trails. Previously I owned a 2013 Focus Thron which was A great bike but a bit tired hence why I want to upgrade.
Thanks
Leon
image.png

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I own a Yamaha so i know the motor, over 3,600 kms no issue.
It is a heavy bike designed to go straight, so depending on what you enjoy it might be a bike you will enjoy. I read on the Giant and generaly owners seems pleased.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I've got one , about 1800 km, I love it BUT.

Test ride it and make sure you get along with the old school geometry - it's got a short reach / steep and tall geometry by modern standards - a lot more flickable / less stable but at the expense of being interesting to keep the front wheel down on steep hills. I've come to prefer the feel of this bike compared to all the modern bikes I've ridden (2019 merida 160/120, trek 7 , focus jam , even the trance) , but I'm 52 and not a very aggressive rider ( aka I'd flick the bike around obstacles rather than bash through them)

The forks can be extended out to 150 mm with a $90 ( aus) upgrade, it helped a lot with the stability and the bike is still a lot quicker steering than modern bikes ( the top of the range 0 version came with longer travel)

The motor sits low, and you loose even more ground clearance to the bashplate that was designed for the older yamaha motor. The good news is replacement bashplates are only $12.50

Early 2018 the evo screens had water ingress issues, and giant warranty is not transferable across owners. Giant has upgraded the design so It might be worth removing it and seeing if there is sealant around the back junction , and if not the owner might be willing to try for a warranty claim? I know having the bike on the back of my car in torrential rain was enough for the screen to start misting up then the bike would randomly turn on / off. I was expecting to pay, but giant was great with warranty. Alternatively, factor in the cost of a replacement screen. If the screen has a bar graph along the bottom that shows you how much assistance the motor is supplying as you pedal, then it is likely to be the upgraded one . ( not the eco to power setting, this is a seperate bar that lights up as you increase force through the pedals)

Ditch the 2x front sprockets - they're fragile and unnecessary.

Original wheelbearings are junk, especially in the back - replace them if they haven't already been upgraded.

It might be me, but I'm chewing through brake pads ( despite using sintered) . For 2019 giant went to 4 piston brakes on the trance and I pressume the extra pad surface would be less stressed. I've considered upgrading, but the honest truth is my ability fades before the brakes do.....

I've just replaced my dropper post, it's a primitive design and the inner cartridge is sealed / not adjustable. The plunger got some grit in it and started sticking. Faced with a $60 replacement cartridge I decided to upgrade to a oneupcomponents - holy cow, soooo much nicer to use.

Black tape helps protect your eyes

9583C1C0-5DE3-4184-91C0-F70C29208D22.jpeg

Focus73

Jan 16, 2018
Fylde Coast
Wow thanks for your first hand experience ! Some great tips too. I'm going to test it this week, I'll let you know how I get on.??

Rybo

Mar 7, 2020
Sydney Australia
Hi, lot of good info here. Have recently bought one of these and have instantly destroyed the bash plate. Can’t seem to find where to get them from online in Australia. Do you have a link for the lower clearance ones?
Thanks!

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Hi, lot of good info here. Have recently bought one of these and have instantly destroyed the bash plate. Can’t seem to find where to get them from online in Australia. Do you have a link for the lower clearance ones?
Thanks!

Your giant store will sell the stock bashplate, it's only $12 and after a few weeks you get a feel for the ground clearance.

I made my own out of fibreglass cast material but later decided I'd rather sacrifice $12 bits of plastic than the motor. The one in that pic is my home made job.

BTW, I'm still loving this bike. I was offered a spectacular price on a trance sx but decided the old school geometry suits me better.

Where in oz are you?

Rybo

Mar 7, 2020
Sydney Australia
Your giant store will sell the stock bashplate, it's only $12 and after a few weeks you get a feel for the ground clearance.

I made my own out of fibreglass cast material but later decided I'd rather sacrifice $12 bits of plastic than the motor. The one in that pic is my home made job.

BTW, I'm still loving this bike. I was offered a spectacular price on a trance sx but decided the old school geometry suits me better.

Where in oz are you?
Yeh nice. I’ve only ridden it twice but put it through its paces today and was really surprised with how well it performed. Might try get the suspension up a bit aswell. How did you get the other 10mm? mill hit up the giant store tomorrow. I’m in Sydney, where do you ride? How many kms you up to now?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
The extra fork travel was by fitting the longer air shaft - if your lbs can't work out the correct part then send me a pm and I'll chase it up - nb these are ebike 34 mm forks so use the internals from a 32 mm fork.

I'm in gippsland, haven't been any further nth than tathra, I should be at thredbo in a couple of weeks.

I'm not certain about km because my speed sensor had been playing up - the magnet had slipped and wasn't reliably registering. I realised this when the lbs hooked my bike up and told me the last 2000 k's had been at an average speed of 7 ish kph...and giant wanted to know if I had a derestricting device fitted! So probably around 3000 k , possibly more?

It's academic because I'm back to zero on the odometer! My torque sensor developed an intermittent fault so I now have a 2020 motor ( quieter, higher cadence support, and auto mode) . Giant has been fantastic with warranty, it was a really hard to demonstrate fault and the shop owner couldn't pick it ( setting a new kom in the process....) . I could ride for hours then suddenly the bike would drop to weaker assistance for a few pedals. I suspect related to water ingress ( eg creek crossings) but will never know.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
It's academic because I'm back to zero on the odometer! My torque sensor developed an intermittent fault so I now have a 2020 motor ( quieter, higher cadence support, and auto mode) . Giant has been fantastic with warranty, it was a really hard to demonstrate fault and the shop owner couldn't pick it ( setting a new kom in the process....) . I could ride for hours then suddenly the bike would drop to weaker assistance for a few pedals. I suspect related to water ingress ( eg creek crossings) but will never know.

Curious - what hardware and software does the app report ? I have a new motor but it now has a hardware version of 2018xxxxx even though it is a 2020. My old motor had hardware of 2019xxxxxx.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Curious - what hardware and software does the app report ? I have a new motor but it now has a hardware version of 2018xxxxx even though it is a 2020. My old motor had hardware of 2019xxxxxx.

My new (2020) motor is hardware version 2016xxxx ( software 2020) - everything from the bar switch, screen to motor was replaced so I'm ignoring the giant CR app

Toneee

Mar 30, 2021
Germany
Podz which app do you use? I was trying to get mine connected to the ride control app and it just says the bike isn’t supported even though it can see it. Spoke to Giant about it and they said anything other than late 2018 onwards can’t use the app anymore :( also asked them if I upgrade the RideControl evo would it work and they said no :( any thoughts?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Podz which app do you use? I was trying to get mine connected to the ride control app and it just says the bike isn’t supported even though it can see it. Spoke to Giant about it and they said anything other than late 2018 onwards can’t use the app anymore :( also asked them if I upgrade the RideControl evo would it work and they said no :( any thoughts?

Sorry, but my bike is a bit like grandpas axe - 2020 motor, it's on the 4 th evo screen, the giant app pribably thinks it's next tears model...

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Hi does anyone have one of these? Thinking of buying a mint used one with 500km on but can't find much about them on the forums. I have trolled the web and seen a few test reviews but would like to hear from fellow riders how good or bad they are on the trails. Previously I owned a 2013 Focus Thron which was A great bike but a bit tired hence why I want to upgrade.
Thanks
Leon
View attachment 17211
Hope you purchased it Leon. I have an 83 year old riding companion ( good trail rider) who has just traded his in after completely 30,000 kilometres. Only drawback was the top speed (power-assisted) of 25 kph. Had a great run out of it. He has just purchased a Specialized retailing for NZD$17,000. I'll bet he doesn't get anywhere the same trouble-free mileage out of that!!!

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Hope you purchased it Leon. I have an 83 year old riding companion ( good trail rider) who has just traded his in after completely 30,000 kilometres. Only drawback was the top speed (power-assisted) of 25 kph. Had a great run out of it. He has just purchased a Specialized retailing for NZD$17,000. I'll bet he doesn't get anywhere the same trouble-free mileage out of that!!!

Grrr.....I jyst bought myself a specialized ( levo sl) - I'd like to think it's going to be at least as reliable as fugle.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles