2018 Bulls Estream EVO AM4?

Corey B

Mar 10, 2018
Gardnerville, NV USA
Anyone seen or heard of this bike being out yet? I ordered one in Dec. after riding the 2017 Estream EVO FS3. Now they’re saying it won’t be delivered until July. Damm, summer will be half over.

Lemme know. Thx, Corey B.

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Yup Me too. Ordered in May and dealer said on Friday 7-6-18 that the bike is scheduled to ship to them from California approximately 7-22. That's a Sunday so I doubt its accurate. What I have been having trouble finding is a good ride review that evaluates the riding characteristics of the bike.
Sure there is plenty on the motor, breaks and shocks/forks but nowhere have I seen any good feedback on ride behavior.
Another item is the Marquardt Comfort Display. I have been struggling to learn more about this but info is limited. I did find this manual . it says nothing about the display being configured for English units only metric is referenced. Not sure if the display will show Miles or Kilometers.

https://maxx.de/global/MarquardtComfort27.11.2017.pdf

Corey B

Mar 10, 2018
Gardnerville, NV USA
I too just ordered this, knowing its not available until mid july. We will have to compare notes when we finally get them.
Just picked up my AM4 from Auburn CA. on Friday 7/20. Rode it this weekend a little on some trails I was not familiar with. So far seems to be really nice and plush. Still trying to get everything adjusted just right. Now that I'm home I want to take it out on some of my local trails. Will let you know how it goes.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Just picked up my AM4 from Auburn CA. on Friday 7/20. Rode it this weekend a little on some trails I was not familiar with. So far seems to be really nice and plush. Still trying to get everything adjusted just right. Now that I'm home I want to take it out on some of my local trails. Will let you know how it goes.

How's the bulls riding ?

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Curious to know if the Marquardt display is metric or English units. Any complaints or buyers remorse at this stage ? YOur likes dislikes. Your the first believed to take possession of this new model. Apparently Bulls has sold out nation wide to dealers. Mine is a week or two away they say.

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Well were definitely all jones'n for more info on this elusive beast. If I do get mine in the next week Il be a little more forthcoming with a an average dirt riders critique.

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Now Im just pissed off. Called dealer Friday to check on delivery. I put a deposit on the AM4 three months ago, Spoke with a different person than whom I ordered the bike with, He said they will not be getting any AM4's. Bulls over sold them and no more were available. WTF. Called a FlyRides in California they had One left. Had to pay almost list price . It still seems to be a very good value still at that number. Should have it in a week . Il post a ride critique once I get out on out local trails . Contemplated just going down th the LBS and picking up a Levo. Comparing the two I think the Levo comparably equipped with a notably smaller battery would still be a good chunk of change more.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Now Im just pissed off. Called dealer Friday to check on delivery. I put a deposit on the AM4 three months ago, Spoke with a different person than whom I ordered the bike with, He said they will not be getting any AM4's. Bulls over sold them and no more were available. WTF. Called a FlyRides in California they had One left. Had to pay almost list price . It still seems to be a very good value still at that number. Should have it in a week . Il post a ride critique once I get out on out local trails . Contemplated just going down th the LBS and picking up a Levo. Comparing the two I think the Levo comparably equipped with a notably smaller battery would still be a good chunk of change more.

Sad to hear demand out stripping supply. Out of interest whats the cost of the bulls

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California

I really wanted this bike, but couldn't find one to ride and get a fit. I got on lists and talked with the Bulls rep a few times and finally gave up in June and bought a Spec Turbo Levo. I love the Brose motor on these. Looking forward to a ride report from Corey. The Bulls dealer in Auburn CA is a nice guy.

Jacob C.

Aug 1, 2018
Los angeles
I got to test this bike out yesterday! I'm in love with the stealthy design. It definitely does not have the the initial thrust of the new Bosch or Yamaha motors but very steady natural power. If anyone is in the los angeles area the guy I bought my Haibike from sells this bike for $4,800 locally only. Does not ship.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
I got to test this bike out yesterday! I'm in love with the stealthy design. It definitely does not have the the initial thrust of the new Bosch or Yamaha motors but very steady natural power. If anyone is in the los angeles area the guy I bought my Haibike from sells this bike for $4,800 locally only. Does not ship.

How well did the bottom plate fit protecting the motor seen on you tube a guy had a gap big enough to see exposing wires

Jacob C.

Aug 1, 2018
Los angeles
How well did the bottom plate fit protecting the motor seen on you tube a guy had a gap big enough to see exposing wires
It was seamless, although the gasket that is supposed to block debris from the charging port had no keeper... so it needs to totally be removed when charging... I'm afraid it could fall out leaving the charging port exposed.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
It was seamless, although the gasket that is supposed to block debris from the charging port had no keeper... so it needs to totally be removed when charging... I'm afraid it could fall out leaving the charging port exposed.

You mean the magnetic cap covering the port to keep dirt out?

Jacob C.

Aug 1, 2018
Los angeles
I cant say for sure if the gap was on the bike I tested or not. I am going back to the shop on Saturday or Sunday to test out the AM3 and the Haibike allmtn 9.0 I would be worried about that as well. I do like riding on trails through shallow streams.

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Bike showed up Thursday. Did a good inspection before first ride. In a picky person when it comes to equipment. It is well made. Welds are solid and engineering of frame is well thought. The battery charging port and mounting mechanism is robust. The display is notably better than what I expected. Looks durable, or vulnerable to damage not to large. Easy to read. Battery icons are four main bars that break down into about four bars each. Its well done and easy to view. Not too bright . Buttons feel and work well. Wiring is well routed with good quality connectors. Monkey link reflectors are a joke. There going to fly right off this bike first ride. Over all fit and finish on the bike is very good. I dont have the gap in the motor housing that Dusty shows above. It looks like one of the covers on his is bike is not on all the way.
So What about the ride. I Headed out Friday and hammered in 29.9 miles in a hilly area Im not overly fond of because there is a ton of climbing
Im currently riding a large ibis HD3 which I love and have a lot of hours on. So my standards are somewhat high. The AM4 is nimble. You dont really feel the weight unless your picking the bike up. Its smooth. It definitely handels better than the Ibis in tight flowy sections. Climbing is agressive , predictable . front wheel stays planted and the motor response is pretty aggressive on high power. It has five selections. Off. Eco Tour and two higher not sure what there called. I used eco about 90 % on the ride. Tour probably five % and the higher two for a few serious climbs. Higher speeds the bike is real smooth and predictable. Chunky steep fast downhill performs real well. Way better than I expected for a 67.5 Head tube angle. The Dropper is good. Personally I like more travel in the seat post but i got used to it quickly. I developed a slight creek in the headset towards the end of the ride. Not unusual and Il get that figured out. I left the house about 90-95% battery and returned with two whole bars. The 650 Wh battery is awesome. Ideally Lithuim Ion cells will live longest if only utilized in the 30 -90% range of their capacity. So Il get great life out of this pack with lots of reserve.
The BMZ charger is high quality and simple. Compact and has high quality whips. It has a nice on/off switch. When you plug the charger into the battery while mounted the Marquardt display lights up and shows battery charge status and flashes. There is a separate power and battery indicator on the battery and that works great as well.
I moved the dropper lever to the left bar and it fits fine between the display and grip. However the cable is too short and can bind with excessive left rotation of the bars. Its readily available break line cable so Il just make a longer line. I have the KS Lev on another bike and it has been reliable and works great so Its a great dropper that has a good track record. I also have Reverbs . Heavier and track record on reliability is not overly great. The newest reverb seems to be better. I broke the hydraulic line once on the reverb and lost the seat for the rest of the ride so I do see the advantage of non hydraulic actuation.
The Wheels seem strong as heck. 14gauge up front and I think 13 in the rear. The Magic Mary is exceptional. Noby Bick is good but both can wear quick if they see a lot of road miles. As far as puncture /tear durability time will tell.
The only immediate changes Im going to make is go tubeless today and lengthen the dropper line. Probabbly change the saddle. Overall im real happy with the bike. Its risky purchasing a bike you have never seen or ridden. I was nervous for the three months but after the first five minute inspection and one minute riding My worrys were gone.
Oh The motor. I have ridden the Bosch and brose both. The brose in my opinion suits me way better, The noise is a big issue for me.. I dont want to hear anything when Im riding . the Brose has great natural power and way quieter than Bosch. Have not ridden the Shimano but I think anyone will be hard pressed to improve on the brose performance.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Nice write up @Superk there was still none in the UK last time I had correspondence with uk supplier.
The 2019 model is ear marked for January so for me I may aswell wait to see what's around the corner am glad there wasent any disappointment with your new bulls

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Image of display is while charging. The bars flash while charging solid when not. The four large bars break down into three or four smaller bars. Its a nice graphic for battery charge. the Dropper cable is too short if your going to go lefty but its an easy fix. IL post pics of the cable swap. No Gap on this motor housing. It looks like an assembly issue on Dustys. I doubt its any thing that cant be easily fixed.
Lubing the chaine is not anything I even considered. Since the chain does not roll backwards while pedeling backwords as no a non e-bike its not nearly as easy to lube the chain which I always do after every ride.
Forgot to mention the breaks. Been running Shimanno XT and XTR on other bikes and these are excellent. A bit sticky at low speed but very nice feel and response at mid and higher speed. The composite levers dont feel plastic y as I thought they would . im fine with them. Im going to go to a smaller chain ring up front. Geared a bit too high for hilly areas.
Now the tough part. Heading out with the regular Sunday crew and will need to explain whats up with the motor. Hmm. Might need to bring the HD3 in case the heat is too much to bear.

Brosa Motor housing.jpg

Marquardt display image.jpg

Dropper cable.jpg

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Oh . Tubeless setup was a breeze on these tires and wheels. Easiest I have ever done. The wheels look solid. Cant really tell who makes the hubs either. Definitely stoute spokes .

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Lubing the chaine is not anything I even considered. Since the chain does not roll backwards while pedeling backwords as no a non e-bike its not nearly as easy to lube the chain which I always do after every ride.
You can easily turn the chainring backward by hand.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles