2017 BULLS ESTREAM EVO 45 FS 27 28MPH MOTOR FAILURE!!

johnrfive0

Aug 12, 2019
USA
I have a 2017 BULLS ESTREAM EVO 45 FS 27 28MPH that has about 2000 miles and the motor just died with that whining noise and no power.
Thankfully it may be covered by warranty, and Brose has been great with customer service, however, at about $1000 for a motor swap every 2000 to 2500 miles
there has to be a better answer.
I wrote to performancelinebearings.com and and Peter said that Brose do indeed have issues:

Brose, unfortunately, have many weak links, so getting past 2,000 miles becomes a bit of a gamble. Some of the issues are:

The belts can strip the teeth or snap. This is usually down to belt tension, but there is nothing in the manual about having your belt tension checked.
The belt tensioner itself can snap.
Both internal sprang clutch bearings have plastic bearing cages, these crack and fail.
The crankshaft needle roller bearing has a rubber seal designed to keep its grease inside, it does not stop water entering the bearing. This doesn’t only destroy the bearing; it can also wreck the crankshaft bearing surface.
The crankshaft bearing on the left-hand side of the motor is not water sealed. (Both crank bearings on earlier motors)

He also said that in his opinion, Bosch motors are the most well built and well supported.
He's seen some with 30,000 miles with limited wear.
I doubt I'll buy another Brose motored ebike again.
Anyone have any ideas on this subject?

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
I have a 2017 BULLS ESTREAM EVO 45 FS 27 28MPH that has about 2000 miles and the motor just died with that whining noise and no power.
Thankfully it may be covered by warranty, and Brose has been great with customer service, however, at about $1000 for a motor swap every 2000 to 2500 miles
there has to be a better answer.
I wrote to performancelinebearings.com and and Peter said that Brose do indeed have issues:

Brose, unfortunately, have many weak links, so getting past 2,000 miles becomes a bit of a gamble. Some of the issues are:

The belts can strip the teeth or snap. This is usually down to belt tension, but there is nothing in the manual about having your belt tension checked.
The belt tensioner itself can snap.
Both internal sprang clutch bearings have plastic bearing cages, these crack and fail.
The crankshaft needle roller bearing has a rubber seal designed to keep its grease inside, it does not stop water entering the bearing. This doesn’t only destroy the bearing; it can also wreck the crankshaft bearing surface.
The crankshaft bearing on the left-hand side of the motor is not water sealed. (Both crank bearings on earlier motors)

He also said that in his opinion, Bosch motors are the most well built and well supported.
He's seen some with 30,000 miles with limited wear.
I doubt I'll buy another Brose motored ebike again.
Anyone have any ideas on this subject?

I tend to agree with you about not choosing a Brose next time, the motor on my 2017 Levo died at 3,400k's and was replaced under warranty. Not keen to fork out for another in two years time. Interesting what performance Bearings said about Bosch, will be something to consider. Also Yamaha motors seem fairly good too.
I chose my bike on what felt and sounded the best motor wise, next time reliability will be a strong consideration.

johnrfive0

Aug 12, 2019
USA
After the motor gets replaced I'm going to start searching for a Bosch powered motor. I like the Haibikes. Not sure about Yamaha motors though. I'm looking for a 28mph mountain bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles