2.8in Tyres on the E-Sommet?

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
According to the description from Vitus. The E-Sommet will accept 2.8 inch tyres.

I’ve got a set of 36mm (ID) wheels hanging around. Just wondering if it’s worth investing in some 2.8in tyres to try on my E-Sommet

Has anyone done it yet? Is it worth it? Or just a case of nah..... not night and day difference etc.?

Cheers, Tim

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Maybe you could mention what size?
On 27.5 with 40 mm i love my 2.8 Rekon, fast, good grip.
Now rear but i would trust it for front.

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
I’m thinking 27.5 x 2.8

DHF up front
DHR2 rear

Just wondering really if there’s much more grip compared to the stock 2.5WT that come with the bike. I could also just mount the current WT on the wider rims and see if that makes a difference.

All in the good name of experimentation

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I’m thinking 27.5 x 2.8

DHF up front
DHR2 rear

Just wondering really if there’s much more grip compared to the stock 2.5WT that come with the bike. I could also just mount the current WT on the wider rims and see if that makes a difference.

All in the good name of experimentation
Here in Quebec dry days(i mean the trails) pretty much any decent tire is OK but a set up with better grip can be appreciated for wet roots sometimes just early there is dew. I feel the difference like climbing out of the saddle. Also when i stall/stop i can restart without putting a foot down like on my fat in winter.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can fit 2.8 but personally I think it would ruin the handling, as IMO it would make the handling a lot vaguer

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
Had the choice of going to 2.8 when swapping tyres on the VR but decided to stay 2.5 as I really can't see that the bike would ride/handle any better.
Post your views if you do experiment!

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
I might give it a go for the pure fun of it. There’s a couple of 2.8’s for sale on fleabay that are cheap.

I’ll report back if I go for it!

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Well over the last 3 years my 3 main bikes have been different but similar.
For snow, winter fun 26x4.8 on 90 mm studded, maximum float + maximum grip for maximum hours riding. I was on 29x2.3 and thiny rims for rollover and speed and those 2 fit well for what i do. Last 3 months on 27.5x3.0/2.8 on 40 mm and loving it. Basically those 3 tire options are close looking at diameter but feeling different. It is the old question, long or short board? It is all good there is no need to have only one. I prefer to have a few, buy them used.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
My VR is the sharpest handling bike I've ever ridden.

Having owned a bike with 2.8 tyres, I can't imagine why anyone would swap to those from the stock tyres, apart from aesthetics.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Run mine for the best part of a year with 2.8 nobby nic’s, love them as their just so daft but then I’m just like having fun. They are a compromise in wet conditions , but I ran them all winter without major issues (you get used to their performance). Though I had planned to change them back, if they were really poor in the mud, just didn’t need to

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Memo?
Wife?
er...
You must be thinking of someone else. I do have a girlfriend but she's financially independent, great handling, precise, light and fit .
and certainly not plus sized ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
2.8 plus tyres

Expensive, vague, imprecise, heavy, weak

But as @cjm_wales said- aesthetics !

They look good ! Tyres should be thought of like the opposite set. When you're first trying you're not sure which is going to be right for you, so you might at least try the ones you think look good.

I haven't got a clue how to ride, but I have 2.8's and they look good :) They give me confidence purely because of the fact that due to some caveman part of my head, they're bigger - so they must be good. In reality, I keep slowly increasing the pressures, so maybe I'm actually adapting to needing a sharper feel as I become less of a muppet..... so it might be 2.5's next time ... if they still look good ...

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
But as @cjm_wales said- aesthetics !

They look good ! Tyres should be thought of like the opposite set. When you're first trying you're not sure which is going to be right for you, so you might at least try the ones you think look good.

I haven't got a clue how to ride, but I have 2.8's and they look good :) They give me confidence purely because of the fact that due to some caveman part of my head, they're bigger - so they must be good. In reality, I keep slowly increasing the pressures, so maybe I'm actually adapting to needing a sharper feel as I become less of a muppet..... so it might be 2.5's next time ... if they still look good ...
or you are gaining weight? New bones spurs?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
or you are gaining weight? New bones spurs?
I keep trying to promote the growth of new limbs as the existing ones don't ever seem to do what they're supposed to when riding, which leads to crashes, at which point the existing limbs also still don't seem to perform as well as could be expected and flail around in a panic. New limbs could be trained with the correct muscle memory right from the start and the existing limbs can be retired to more mundane tasks like holding the water bottle or operating the dropper post.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I took a 2.6 DHR off and replaced with 2.4 to gain more battery life so I'd prepare for the opposite with 2.8
There are many ways to improve range.
- Rekons are good rolling with good grip
- an easier gearing
- improving our riding style
- loosing weight?
- selecting a bike that delivers great range

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
There are many ways to improve range.
- Rekons are good rolling with good grip
- an easier gearing
- improving our riding style
- loosing weight?
- selecting a bike that delivers great range
Absolutely, but as is your going the other way.
I had a semi slick on last summer and was great for battery life but the trade off was obviously grip.
I'm still messing with my power settings to gain battery life and make boost usable, but this is a tyre thread.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Absolutely, but as is your going the other way.
I had a semi slick on last summer and was great for battery life but the trade off was obviously grip.
I'm still messing with my power settings to gain battery life and make boost usable, but this is a tyre thread.
OK i like the roll of my tires, fr 3.0 Chronicle, rear 2.8 Rekon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
With all due respect @33red the E-Sommett is a pinner of a full on enduro emtb, probably the best handling bike of its kind out there, designed around running 2.4-2.6 tyres to maximise its abilities - general tyre chat is not really relevant to the thread, or the bike.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
probably the best handling bike of its kind out there

R120 R120 R120 ... that was just rude, Red was just setting the thread up so he could kindly inform us once again of the magnificence of the YAMAHA motor above any other design. I mean, can you imagine if Vitus had put a YAMAHA motor on it and 4 inch tyres. It would be 10 times the bike it is now ! The bike it should have been. With 5000km range on a single charge irrespective of how it's ridden or the terrain.

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
I run a 2.8 MM up front and a 2.8 Eddy rear. Combo works well for me. Don't need to worry about climbing, so weight not an issue. Not as precise as a 2.5/2.35 but on the rough rooty stuff near me they give more confidence ploughing through.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles