2.8 change to 2.6 Rear Tyre

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
After 500 miles I’ve swapped my rear for a 2.8 Hans Dampf and put a 2.35 Magic Mary on the front. Replaced the e-thirteen cassette which has been a pain in the arse since new with a Sunrace 10x46. New chain and new Hope jockey wheels. Had one ride so far and it felt great. The UK trails have turned very muddy recently, so very happy with the extra grip provided by Schwalbe

eia

Apr 6, 2019
Germany
I would like to know if someboy tested a Schwable tyre in 2.6 at rear? I am almost done with with my original DHR 2.8 and maybe I switch to Magic Mary in 2.6. But I am worried about even more pedal hits. Love actually the low setting. High setting did not feel good.
If somebody rides a 2.6 at rear maybe you can measure the height of the backwheel.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I would like to know if someboy tested a Schwable tyre in 2.6 at rear? I am almost done with with my original DHR 2.8 and maybe I switch to Magic Mary in 2.6. But I am worried about even more pedal hits. Love actually the low setting. High setting did not feel good.
If somebody rides a 2.6 at rear maybe you can measure the height of the backwheel.

I replaced my 2.8 with a 2.6 Michelin. Switched the flip chip to high and get the same geometry as the 2.8 on low setting. Bike turns much better with the 2.6. Diameter of Tyre on rim is 700mm.

eia

Apr 6, 2019
Germany
I checked and my diameter of the DHR is ~715. This means 15mm difference compared to the Michelin Wild 2.6. Spoken in radius, your rear axis is 7,5mm lower than with DHR. According to YT Website the difference between low and high Setting is 7mm.

-->you are right, if you change to Michlin 2.6 and also change from low to high setting you will have the same geometry again.

nicoweiss

May 13, 2020
Val di Fassa
I landed on this thread searching for advice on smaller rear tyre... in the meantime I asked YT about using a smaller tyre in the rear referring to 2.6 or 2.5 width...

Their answer:

"Unfortunately, this is not possible. The engine is programmed for the exact wheel size and when you would use a different tire the wheel size wouldn't match anymore and it could even lead to the situation, that the bike shuts down automatically.
Also, you would void the warranty of the bike and you would become the manufacturer which means that all product liabilities would be transferred to you."

Anyone had problems with the motor?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I landed on this thread searching for advice on smaller rear tyre... in the meantime I asked YT about using a smaller tyre in the rear referring to 2.6 or 2.5 width...

Their answer:

"Unfortunately, this is not possible. The engine is programmed for the exact wheel size and when you would use a different tire the wheel size wouldn't match anymore and it could even lead to the situation, that the bike shuts down automatically.
Also, you would void the warranty of the bike and you would become the manufacturer which means that all product liabilities would be transferred to you."

Sounds odd that response to me, I have tried multiple different size tyres (2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.8) on the back on my steps motored bikes and never had the systems react any differently or throw up any errors - Doesn't the 2020 YT come with a smaller rear tyre than the 2019 anyway?

nicoweiss

May 13, 2020
Val di Fassa
Odd indeed.

The 2020 decoy pro race 170/170 is a mullet and comes with a 2.5 in the front and 2.8 in the rear.
They have also one with 150/150 travel and 29 wheels front and rear which comes with normal width tyre...

I used to have a Kenevo until last year and 2.8 is a no go... I can't ride that

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Odd indeed.

The 2020 decoy pro race 170/170 is a mullet and comes with a 2.5 in the front and 2.8 in the rear.
They have also one with 150/150 travel and 29 wheels front and rear which comes with normal width tyre...

I used to have a Kenevo until last year and 2.8 is a no go... I can't ride that
Pretty much everyone I know with a decoy runs a 2.5/2.6 on the back, with no issues.

nicoweiss

May 13, 2020
Val di Fassa
I get the feeling that some of the staff at YT talk some absolute shite.

Agreed. When I mentioned that ebike mag was making that recommendation his reply was no longer related to tech, just to taste... WTF . Anyway thanks Zero and R120.

So... thank you YT for making me feel inferior and kind of stupid as I am willing to through 6500 euros on one of your bikes after spending other money on a tues and a goat.

"Hello Nico,

These are always subjective recommendations from a tester who 100% knows what he wants. This does not mean that this would be a good recommendation for everybody since testers usually have a very skilled riding style and therefore they developed their own very specific needs about how a bike should feel or handle. This usually does not reflect the needs of a casual rider.

I wouldn't rely on a statement from a tester before you even tried the bike by yourself and make up your own mind. "

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland

Their answer:

That is total boll"£$s . All it means is that your assist speed will drop by a very small amount. Manufactures cannot dictate which tyres you use and not all 2.8 tyres have the same rolling radius.

If you are worried about the warranty just put the 2.8 back on if you have to send it back. I suspect they thought you were asking about a different wheel size not tyre width.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its a bit like when they say don't out a coil shock on, yet the owner of YT runs a coil shock and posts up loads of pictures of his bike with it on, or that half their pro free riders put 27.5 on both ends, yet they don't recommend doing that :unsure:

nicoweiss

May 13, 2020
Val di Fassa
Its a bit like when they say don't out a coil shock on, yet the owner of YT runs a coil shock and posts up loads of pictures of his bike with it on, or that half their pro free riders put 27.5 on both ends, yet they don't recommend doing that :unsure:
ahah. In fact I have a coil on the goat and it is just so much better!

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
:unsure::unsure::unsure: .. edited this post to improve accuracy (about 101 times :ROFLMAO:)

YT response (speculating here)

I would suspect it has nothing to do with tire size but rather the change in wheel circumference and its effect on measured speed (same as when you install larger tires on a car or truck)

If you go from a 2.8 to a 2.5, your wheel circumference will be less (marginally).

The lower circumference wheel means the bike's speed is actually a bit faster in reality than what is displayed on the speedometer. (RPM x Circumference = km/h) Keep in mind the impact would be relatively minor.

So if your motor cut off limit is 32 km/h … the smaller wheel means your ACTUAL speed is slower than your speedometer is illustrating (based on RPM from magnet and circumference setting in steps programming). Your motor assist works up to 32 km/h (based on the circumference of the 2.8 tire). If you had a GPS, and you run a 2.5 tire, the GPS may show you are going 30 km/h (while the bike speedometer shows 32) .

I would suspect YT is trying to discourage people from altering wheel circumference values in the steps programming as there are very strict regulatory in regards to e-bike max speed limits (in Canada its 32 km/h). If YT allowed people to intentionally change this value (or you could in essence easily exceed the regulatory speed limit (engine cut off limit) by creating false circumference settings. This is one legal path I would bet that YT would not want to go down … and honestly who could blame them.:cautious:

All the engine registers is a magnet that passing by a sensor to determine speed based on a set wheel circumference value programmed in the system … that's it. (y). I would lose no sleep over this one, change tire sizes to your desire and follow the advice of Bon Scott and "ride on" :cool::cool:

Last edited:

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
3 of us ride Decoy Mullets.
One swapped the rear to a 2.6. The other two are running 2.8

The 2.6 is a bit more maneuverable and transtitions from edge to edge a bit more quickly.
The 2.8 is a bit "cushier" and perhaps offers a bit more traction

Otherwise, the practical difference is nearly imperceptible. Computers have not been adjusted and none of us are pedaling up faster than any other (no mods to head unit made)

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
I try not to think too hard about all this stuff. Some of the crap the local LBS come out with is equally idiotic.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I have a 2.6 ewild on the back of mine and a 2.35 rockr2 front. Michelin, similar to schwalbe run a bit wider compared to maxxis but the ewild/rockr2 have slightly less volume than the 2.8/2.5 maxxis that came on it. In maxxis width my michelins would be about 2.7/2.45. I havent calibrated the speed but no issues after 1000+ km. Exo+/exo tires are too light for an ebike, in my opinion, and i suspect the white label maxxis tires are bulk oem tires. Ive seen reports of them being sud standard, whether thats true or not they still had to go. Sold them straight away new. Maxxis sell, ill give them that. Suckas!
With the motor i want a touch more travel than my regular pedal bike and for tires i always run 1000g + tires on any of my trail bikes and i have no issues(tire liner rear). On my decoy ill be switching to dh tires soon and be dumping a bit of air pressure. That should bring the bike alive on the ups and downs.
I should mention that yt canada and north america have been great to deal with. Shaun in cali at yt usa is good people and knows his shit. From what i gather on the forums the customer service seems the polar opposite on either side of the pond. Hopefully just growing pains. I guess theyre a little more slammed in Urp

Last edited:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I have a 2.6 ewild on the back of mine and a 2.35 rockr2 front. Michelin, similar to schwalbe run a bit wider compared to maxxis but the ewild/rockr2 have slightly less volume than the 2.8/2.5 maxxis that came on it. In maxxis width my michelins would be about 2.7/2.45. I havent calibrated the speed but no issues after 1000+ km. Exo+/exo tires are too light for an ebike, in my opinion, and i suspect the white label maxxis tires are bulk oem tires. Ive seen reports of them being sud standard, whether thats true or not they still had to go. Sold them straight away new. Maxxis sell, ill give them that. Suckas!
With the motor i want a touch more travel than my regular pedal bike and for tires i always run 1000g + tires on any of my trail bikes and i have no issues(tire liner rear). On my decoy ill be switching to dh tires soon and be dumping a bit of air pressure. That should bring the bike alive on the ups and downs.
I should mention that yt canada and north america have been great to deal with. Shaun in cali at yt usa is good people and knows his shit. From what i gather on the forums the customer service seems the polar opposite on either side of the pond. Hopefully just growing pains. I guess theyre a little more slammed in Urp
Yep Shaun is great! JM too. 3 bikes for me now from YT - and still have all 3 - although the Decoy gets the most rides by far.

I have an e-wild 2.6 rear sitting in the garage. I'll put it on once I destroy the Maxxis 2.8.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Yep Shaun is great! JM too. 3 bikes for me now from YT - and still have all 3 - although the Decoy gets the most rides by far.

I have an e-wild 2.6 rear sitting in the garage. I'll put it on once I destroy the Maxxis 2.8.
Nice! Im considering a capra 27 and mulletize it. Perfect geo and great price. Hesitant to buy a regular bike though. After the fazua update and the industries focus on light weight models there could be great options next year that would also cover the regular bike category and still have some epowah. Be nice if yt had a fazua bike, thatd make the decision ez. My decoy and a fazua capra would cover it

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The lower circumference wheel means the bike's speed is actually a bit faster in reality than what is displayed on the speedometer. (RPM x Circumference = km/h) Keep in mind the impact would be relatively minor.

So if your motor cut off limit is 32 km/h … the smaller wheel means your ACTUAL speed is faster than your speedometer is illustrating (based on RPM from magnet and circumference setting in steps programming). Your motor assist works up to 32 km/h (based on the circumference of the 2.8 tire). If you had a GPS, and you run a 2.5 tire, the GPS may show you are going 34 km/h (while the bike speedometer shows 32) .
You've got that arse backwards. The get the same speed from a smaller circumference the wheel has to be travelling faster so the speedo will over-read the speed the bike is travelling.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Nice! Im considering a capra 27 and mulletize it. Perfect geo and great price. Hesitant to buy a regular bike though. After the fazua update and the industries focus on light weight models there could be great options next year that would also cover the regular bike category and still have some epowah. Be nice if yt had a fazua bike, thatd make the decision ez. My decoy and a fazua capra would cover it
I have a 2016 Capra 27". It's now been relegated to "spare bike". Transformed my riding 4 years ago though after coming from a 26" Santa Cruz Butcher.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I have a 2016 Capra 27". It's now been relegated to "spare bike". Transformed my riding 4 years ago though after coming from a 26" Santa Cruz Butcher.
No doubt. I thought itd work around heee. For our trails id much rather be overbiked than underbiked. I could get down most of it with my transition scout but i missed more travel

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hey @Dirtnvert does the "nv" in your username = North Van? Just wondering if we have another Vancouverite on here. I've met one other on here - also with a Decoy - although have yet to see another Decoy on the trails.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hey @Dirtnvert does the "nv" in your username = North Van? Just wondering if we have another Vancouverite on here. I've met one other on here - also with a Decoy - although have yet to see another Decoy on the trails.
No, im in revy. Ive only ridden seymour one day. Great spot for an eeb. More trails the better with these things, and theres sooo much in the lower mainland and sea to sky. Still a bit snowed in here but its melting quick. More options daily but it might be a while before we get in the alpine. Hopefully be able to buy an extra battery by then

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
No, im in revy. Ive only ridden seymour one day. Great spot for an eeb. More trails the better with these things, and theres sooo much in the lower mainland and sea to sky. Still a bit snowed in here but its melting quick. More options daily but it might be a while before we get in the alpine. Hopefully be able to buy an extra battery by then
I love Revelstoke. Went riding with Matt Yaki and his company a couple of years ago. That trail Martha Creek... magnificent. I’m off riding to Mount Fromme now ?

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
You've got that arse backwards. The get the same speed from a smaller circumference the wheel has to be travelling faster so the speedo will over-read the speed the bike is travelling.

OK correct without compensating in the STEPS programming for wheel circumference. ;)

Will fix ..

Have you ridden the e-bike down Martha's yet ?? I am debating bringing my Decoy there (rode with a Transition Patrol on Martha's last summer).

Good to see Canucks on here (Kelownafornian here) :cool:

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I love Revelstoke. Went riding with Matt Yaki and his company a couple of years ago. That trail Martha Creek... magnificent. I’m off riding to Mount Fromme now ?
Right on! Have a good ride. If things ever chill we'll have to get out for an eeb ride

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles