2.8 change to 2.6 Rear Tyre

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
OK correct without compensating in the STEPS programming for wheel circumference. ;)

Will fix ..

Have you ridden the e-bike down Martha's yet ?? I am debating bringing my Decoy there (rode with a Transition Patrol on Martha's last summer).

Good to see Canucks on here (Kelownafornian here) :cool:
Oh no way. Small world eh. No i havent taken it down martha yet. Bottom should be melted out soon. Been thinking about climbing up the bottom because the low cut across to the teail is long and will have snow for sure. I think id want 2 batteries to do a lap from the top. Same for keystone, cartier and joss. Cant wait for 2 batteries and alpine to melt out. Planning on a fun summer. Bike park is adding a couple new trails too

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you really want to set the motor 100% to the rolling diameter of your rear wheel/trye combo, you can do it on the STUnlocker app.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
If you want to stay with Maxxis, Assegai 2.5 front and DHR 2.6 rear is a very good and grippy combo as well. DHR 2.6 has a very nice width and volume and matches well the 2.5 Assegai. Since both tires have a lot of rubber, Exo/Exo+ casings are OK if your home trails don’t exhibit lots of sharp rocks.
To many pedal strikes with the smaller diameter rear tire can be counteracted by:
- Increasing front travel to 170 or 180 mm (anyway very recommendable for the Decoy)
- Putting the bike into high mode
- Changing crank length to 160 mm

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Pedal strikes are the only concern I have with this bike right now.

Well.. that and the faulty cassette I think I got.

How much difference is there between the 2.8 and a 2.6 e wild in height of the tyre? Anyone care to measure for me please ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Depends what pressures you are running as that will alter the profile of the tyres, in real world terms its fairly minimal - pedal strikes are something that you quite quickly learn to adjust your technique to deal with on an EMTB, but a shortcut is to go with 160mm cranks. Miranda do a good value set for the steps system. No real world downsides to the shorter cranks:

Miranda Bike Parts

I have 2.8 E-Wilds and 2.6 E-Wilds running the same pressures (22psi) on the back of different bikes, will measure them later for you.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Im at 170 and soon to be 180 and ill probably put some 160 cranks on. Im in the high position but i think those tweeks will allow me to use both high and low settings on occasions. I have the odd pedal strike now but im also pedalling up through a lot longer chunky climbs. Ordered a -1 degree works headset too. Low should have the HA at 63.25 for our dh trails and high at 63.75 for trail riding

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
I'm pretty happy with performance of the bike. I think 160 is enough for now as I do a mix of trail and jumps so it's a nice balance.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So as best I can work out after several attempts there about 5mm difference between the 2.6 and 2.8 E-Wilds in terms of rolling diameter - They are both fairly new, however my 2.6's are more worn than the 2.8's which where only fitted recently, prob double the miles on the 2.6. Main difference is the width obviously. Also if you are running a 2.8 at a low pressure out back it may actually be less of a diameter than a slightly smaller tyre at a higher pressure.

Both tyres on same 30mm rims and 22psi

Anyway the main benefit of smaller tyre out back is that its going to be less sloppy, more direct handling, and more supportive if railing into corners.

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 10.13.40.png

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 10.15.39.png

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
^^^ R120 … love posts like this! (y)(y)(y) Great info. Wish I could thumbs up this one 10 x :cool:

I've got a set of Michelins on order that was supposed to be here last week :)unsure: .. no courier names needed here) .. and this post helps a lot. They are 2.8's but I like the analogy of height vs. air pressure on the 2.8.

I agree that you will get "used to" pedal strikes and compensate with time. I destroyed a brand new set of flats (and ripped out countless pedal pins) after 2 months of riding my decoy but rarely have any pedal strikes now … but it will take time to adjust. A lot of it has to do with finding the proper air pressure and settings in the X2 rear shock.

Great work posting these photos (y)

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
So as best I can work out after several attempts there about 5mm difference between the 2.6 and 2.8 E-Wilds in terms of rolling diameter - They are both fairly new, however my 2.6's are more worn than the 2.8's which where only fitted recently, prob double the miles on the 2.6. Main difference is the width obviously. Also if you are running a 2.8 at a low pressure out back it may actually be less of a diameter than a slightly smaller tyre at a higher pressure.

Both tyres on same 30mm rims and 22psi

Anyway the main benefit of smaller tyre out back is that its going to be less sloppy, more direct handling, and more supportive if railing into corners.

View attachment 31335

View attachment 31337
Nice job.

5mm doesnt sound much but it could cause a few more strikes.

I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles