160mm fork on 2019 Levo?

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Has anyone swapped the 150mm fork for a 160mm on a 2019 Levo? I’m considering this because they cut the steer tube on the 150mm that came on the bike and I usually run a couple more spacers (I’m 6’4”). Also I’d like a little more travel up front. If so, how is the ride in comparison? What fork did you get?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Yes I’ve done that. Fox factory 36 Grip 2 eBike.

Rides lovely and seems to be the sweet spot on a Levo. Takes a little bit of tweaking but it’s perfect now..I’m 6ft2 and 98kg on an XL.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Just ordered one on Jenson. 15% off right now. Also I have a basically new 2019 Fox 36 Factory ebike optimized Grip2 150mm 29er 110x15 for sale.?

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
Just ordered one on Jenson. 15% off right now. Also I have a basically new 2019 Fox 36 Factory ebike optimized Grip2 150mm 29er 110x15 for sale.

I just installed this fork today. The Levo is a different bike. Holy cow.

The oe RS Pike was really twangy and could not handle g outs and hucks.

The Fox 36 eBike Grip 2 160:

1. Buttery smooth of the top. Best fork I have ever ridden. I’ve had Push ACS in 170mm Fox 36 on a Nomad, and a FIT4 150 36 on my SB130. No comparison.

2. Used recommended setup and it was bottomless on 4-5’ hucks and gap jumps.

These little noodly forks Spesh puts on all the models except the sworks are an injustice to this bikes capabilities.

BTW, 160 in low position. Climbs like a goat. Feels like the right fork.

Next for me is a DPX2 210x52.5 for the shock. Am trying to see if anyone had run this shock in 210x55? If love to pickup an +7mm of rear travel.

I considered 44mm offset. Jenson only had the ebike fork in 51mm. Steering feels fine. My Yeti has a shorter offset, but I run narrow bars and it’s is a longer reach. I think shorter reach, wider bars and 51 offset work well. The wider bars slows the steering a tad, as the reduced offset should...just at the other side of the lever.

I rode 18 miles of flow trail with lots of tight turn sections. I felt in the bike. Hinged at the hips and kept my chest low and forward, separated from the bike and it just railed the loose over hard conditions. I am running DHF 2.5 and Aggressor 2.5 in EXO with CushCore. Never ran the spesh rubber. I run Maxxis on all my bikes and they just hook up. I do plan to switch the rear to a DD in either DHR or DHR2. The aggressor can’t handle all the torque in straight acceleration. Tends to spin out a bit more than I would like. Hence, I’m going to switch to taller center knobs.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yes, I went up to fox 36 160 grip 2 from the base model, so a good improvement. I didn't go for the ebike specific. Mainly because it's .25kg heavier, also because it's only 34 fork essentially.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yes, I went up to fox 36 160 grip 2 from the base model, so a good improvement. I didn't go for the ebike specific. Mainly because it's .25kg heavier, also because it's only 34 fork essentially.
The stanchions are actually 2mm thicker on the Fox 36e but it uses a 34 damper.
The 36e should have less flex than the regular 36.

From FOX: The steerer is reinforced with thicker walls, whilst the forged crown isn’t hollow and the stanchions also use thicker walls. This means that a FIT4 damping cartridge from a 34 Fork is used, because the stanchions have a 2mm larger diameter.

GEE ARR

Oct 29, 2018
MIDLANDS
I too purchased a Fox 36 as an upgrade to the base level Levo. It is supposed to be 150mm and according to the code on the back when entered on the ride fox website it is. But measuring the stanchions it's 160mm. Either way it's a massive improvement.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
I too purchased a Fox 36 as an upgrade to the base level Levo. It is supposed to be 150mm and according to the code on the back when entered on the ride fox website it is. But measuring the stanchions it's 160mm. Either way it's a massive improvement.

The measurement quoted (160mm) refers to the travel (how far the suspension can move). The length of the stanchion must be longer than the travel. Sounds like you indeed have the 150mm. Congrats on the upgrade!

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
I removed the Oem 150mm RS fork from my base model Levo before even riding them and swapped in the new RS Lyric RC2 in 160mm. It’s transformed the bike from the demo ones I had ridden. Best RockShox fork I’ve ridden!

Am considering pulling it out to 170mm instead of raising the bar, as I ride size medium with short head tube and have no spacers, so it’s pretty slammed right now. But have to consider other geo that effects.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
I’m running the MRP ribbon coil in 160mm. I like it a lot, super plush. I just ordered the cane creek coil to improve the rear

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I’m running the MRP ribbon coil in 160mm. I like it a lot, super plush. I just ordered the cane creek coil to improve the rear
Beware of the CC coil in the back unless you get one with the thicker shaft. Multiple incidents where the shaft have broken during a ride and according to CC it’s a big no no to use on a 2019 Levo.

Karsten

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I had the same problem as the OP, put a 170 mm travel lyric fork on my 2018 levo and I couldn't be happier with the results. Will put the OEM fork back on the bike when I sell it.
We have some very steep down hill chutes with 2 foot drop offs and I use the full travel. The confidence boost is immeasurable. I really don't have that much trouble with the front lifting up on steep uphill's. Make no mistake I ride uphills that were completely unrideable before I got the e-bike, and I still don't have that much trouble with front end lifting up.
If I had to do it all over again I might go with 160 mm rather than 170 however. I had a 160 mm fork on my 2016 custom stumpy build and loved it. Just wanted to try a little bit more and I'm quite happy with it.

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
Beware of the CC coil in the back unless you get one with the thicker shaft. Multiple incidents where the shaft have broken during a ride and according to CC it’s a big no no to use on a 2019 Levo.

Karsten
How can we tell the shaft? Was there a thicker shaft release recently? I just received my Dbcoil in Feb 2019 directly from CC. Hmmm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles