13 tooth sprocket

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
Hello guys,

So I have done about of research into gearing for my DwnHll Pro, now I'm settled on the Shimano saint driveline as it is tiny shifts bloody quick and is reliable.

I have heard of a company called macbike that make a 13tooth front sprocket and I'm just chasing people's experiences/ opinions on it.

From the research I've done as I'm running. 14 tooth front sprocket going to a 13 means going from a 35 tooth to about 32.5 tooth, which would mean my 36tooth rear cassette would behave more as a 42 tooth?

Any responses would be good

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'm looking at changing my 16t to a 14t, the only concerns I've got are that there's a lot less metal so it may not be as strong and may also wear quicker.
Sorry, I don't have any experience of the sprocket brand.
The Zee derailleur and shifter are cheaper than the Saint and work well, but check that they'll work with your cassette. From memory they only go up to a 46t cog, You will need a SLX RD with medium cage if you've got a 50t large rear cog, and be careful when measuring the chain length.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

From the research I've done as I'm running. 14 tooth front sprocket going to a 13 means going from a 35 tooth to about 32.5 tooth, which would mean my 36tooth rear cassette would behave more as a 42 tooth?

Any responses would be good

I don't understand what you mean by "going from a 35 tooth to about 32.5 tooth". So I can't respond to it. However, right now you have a 14t driving a 36t. If you replace the front gear with a smaller one, what is the equivalent gear on the back to give the same ratio?

14/36 = 13/new Therefore new = (13/14)x36 = 33.4. The closest gear to that which is normally available on a cassette is 34t.
If your question was what was the gear you had to put on the cassette instead of changing the 14t on the front to a 13t, the answer is 14/13 x 36 = 38.8. The closest gear to that which is normally available on a cassette is 40t.

I'm very much a newbie to emtb, but won't changing the front gear alter the way the bike works? Unless you can tell the system that the front gear has changed? The gears on the cassette as well for that matter, same question?

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
So the Bosch front gearing is close to 2.5 X the size of the sprocket currently on it, so my 14t X 2.5 = 35. So by going to a 13t X 2.5 = 32.5 approximately anyways if that makes sense.

When changing down teeth on the front I believe it's 1tooth on the front smaller equates to 2/3 teeth on the rear bigger, so by making the change of 2.5 on the front it should make a difference of between 5/7.5 teeth bigger on the back.

This will make my first gear which is a 36 closer to riding with a 41/43.5. it will also make my smaller 11t gear more like a 16/18.5.

I currently already run the Shimano saint rear mech and shifter and love how small it is and the fact that I haven't smashed it off yet is awesome for me because I use to destroy mid cage mechanical all the time so I don't want to loose that size mech but gain some better climbing gears.

I went from 16t to the 14t and had fantastic results, I've been riding with it for 8 months and still haven't worn it out and infact it has completely eliminated any chain suck that I use to get. Plus they are like 30 AUD to replace, side note I don't run the bash ring with the 14 and have never had the chain come off and we'll of I bash that the motor will be have to be pretty squashed haha

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles