12v Car chargers?

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Just because it’s from China doesn’t mean it’s the same quality

That's my point.

Now that I think more about it one complication is that the rosenberg plug on the levo has the brown wire used to signal the battery with 5V and "open" the flow of current. This makes is a bit more complicated to use those other chargers from China.

Another option is to buy a 12V DC to 110V AC inverter for your car, than you can use the original levo charger. e.g.: Inverter

What's the issue with using an inverter?

D

Deleted member 4988

Yes, I’ve done a little research. Needless to say, not a route to go down!

Happy to hear ! ;) think this will be the best route tbh, I've already to a 115 leisure battery setup with solar panels so just need to save for a good inverter now but the buggers ain't cheap

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Happy to hear ! ;) think this will be the best route tbh, I've already to a 115 leisure battery setup with solar panels so just need to save for a good inverter now but the buggers ain't cheap

I’m about to pick up a T6 soon so it started me down the track of split charge systems with options for a solar panel (and able to cope with regen and smart alternators in EU6 vehicles). Devices like Ctek D250s for example. Looks like you get what you pay for with this stuff, as ever.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Dumb question but are you supposed to remove the red end from the charger before plugging it into the vehicle?

567A2DFE-29DC-4FBF-8A97-C517A8C2BA94.jpeg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Oh that's odd. If I really push and hold the charger in the socket it's ok but stops charging as soon as I let go. If I take the red bit off it works fine.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I would have thought that depends on the socket you have. It shouldn't cause a issue to try it either way though.
True yes I didn't know there were different size sockets in vehicles, din socket is smaller apparently and that's why there is the removable red bit.
It should work with the red bit in my socket but doesn't engage properly. As long as nothing is shorting out then I will leave the red bit off.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
True yes I didn't know there were different size sockets in vehicles, din socket is smaller apparently and that's why there is the removable red bit.
It should work with the red bit in my socket but doesn't engage properly. As long as nothing is shorting out then I will leave the red bit off.

I had a similar issue with the fridge plug in my van, it just kept coming loose and breaking the connection.
I just wrapped it in a few layers of insulation tape and it stays put now.

Those accessory/cigarette lighter sockets are often a pretty rubbish fit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles