12v Car chargers?

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
I am designing a car charger for the Levo/ Kenevo so there is no need for an inverter.
I believe it will be safer and a single unit with voltage protection, input voltage cut off and thermal control.
12v - 42v Levo/ Kenevo with correct Rosenberger for the battery?

I’d like to know if anyone would be interested in this before I get cracking.

Many thanks for your input.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Similar to the BMW 12v charger? Or better?
As electronics go it will be directly suited to the specialized battery and conditions.
Specifically designed for car/ camper use with lower heat and dimensions hopefully.

Ideally aimed at long term installations or glovebox carry?

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Damn good idea, would also be good if you could connect a solar panel to the input side of the inverter. Following the carrying second battery dilemma thread, a 3d printed dummy mounting plate which would allow you to carry the battery on the bike frame or secure it in the car would be a good accessory for this kit.

Brendog78

Jun 12, 2019
Australia
Revolectrix have dc dc chargers that you can program all the parameters required to charge and discharge any battery, they can also charge or discharge to a storage voltage. Depending on the dc power available you could fast charge if you wanted. All you would require is a cable.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Revolectrix have dc dc chargers that you can program all the parameters required to charge and discharge any battery, they can also charge or discharge to a storage voltage. Depending on the dc power available you could fast charge if you wanted. All you would require is a cable.

The thermal safety feature on specialized batteries will be the concern with these chargers especially fast charging?
I’m going to make a prototype and test it.

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
Cheers TW. That sounds great, good price too. I’ll definitely have one, I’d love to be able to charge in my van while I’m on the road. ?

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Last year Specialized & BMW released a limited edition Levo complete with an in car charger:
Levo / Kenevo car charger (BMW Levo)

The charge rate is 2A (instead of 4A) in order to be compatible with typical car cigarette lighter sockets.

You can buy direct from BMW. Part number 80922453902. £72 Inc VAT.

Building your own is probably not as easy as you think, see: DIY Turbo Levo charger

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Grassicks BMW in Perth obtained one for me. I think it is more whether the parts department can be bothered to look beyond a set of matching mats, and the guys at Perth were prepared to do the digging required. The charger does need to be specially ordered from Germany, but only took about 5 days to come. At £72, why would you try to re-engineer it?
It might be more profitable to contact the manufacturer and order 200 units and resell those.

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
I found one on eBay and am waiting for delivery. This is a picture from the listing:

567A2DFE-29DC-4FBF-8A97-C517A8C2BA94.jpeg

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
5B1AE421-5064-4E04-8FD1-F26F14CDB202.jpeg Testing proved viable, now I am getting to the safety features along with output options and low voltage cut off for the car battery.
Box test print soon.

Apr 7, 2019
Sussex UK
Word of caution to those with the BMW 12v charger (or I guess any other 12v appliance).
Was charging with mine today and when I checked it the charger light was switching between red and green every 2-3 seconds, but had only been charging an hour so no where near finished.

I checked the 12v plug and it was red hot! Tried again in a diff end outlet and got the same result!!!

Gonna hard wire it in the morning via a decent switch and fuse.
Still feeling smug now I’m charging from the sun?

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Why wouldn't someone just get something like this?

12v to 42v car charger: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Car-battery-charger-dc-12v-to_60543192147.html

12v to 42v car charger on Ali Express: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810547743.html

12v to 48v car charger: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Car-battery-charger-dc-dc-converter_60542454356.html

Just need to terminate with the connector that is used on the Levo or Levo sL, a lot of listings for these chargers on Ali Express allow you to choose the connector type.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You'd really trust one of those to charge your £1K 700Wh battery? :eek:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
The charger that comes with the Levo is actually a Chinese charger, you can find it in other products as well. Granted it is a better charger than the ones I linked but you can find better ones from China.

Just because it’s from China doesn’t mean it’s the same quality. I’m not saying it definitely won’t be, but like @Doomanic says it’s a risk. Not just to the battery but also the vehicle you’re charging from if it overheats.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles