11 speed drive to 12 speed

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
All you need is the cassette, derailleur, chain and shifter.
Word of caution, you will go through chains much quicker than 11-speed and the 12-speed cassettes are much heavier than their 11-speed counterparts. Unless you get the E version of the shifter, you will get clunky shifting and premature wear.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
I wonder if the E13 TRS+ cassette 9-46t would be a better change 11speed but more range than the SRAM Eagle at 511% and 340g so lighter than Eagle with a 9t and a 46t for more high and low end.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Word of caution, you will go through chains much quicker than 11-speed and the 12-speed cassettes are much heavier than their 11-speed counterparts. Unless you get the E version of the shifter, you will get clunky shifting and premature wear.
Completely agree - I’m not sure there are really any meaningful advantages to 12 speed on an ebike, but there are definitely some disadvantages as you say, the main one being the cost of wear on cassettes and chains.
I wonder if the E13 TRS+ cassette 9-46t would be a better change 11speed but more range than the SRAM Eagle at 511% and 340g so lighter than Eagle with a 9t and a 46t for more high and low end.
Yep, sounds like a good option. SRAM NX 12 speed is the only ebike certified 12 speed I believe, but that is going to be heavier and wear quicker.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

I too looked into going 12 speed but went off the idea for the reasons you mention

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I ran the E*Thirteen 11-Speed cassette and it creaked constantly, no matter how much grease I applied to the spline interface. They said this was on only a few early production models and would happen mostly on DT-Swiss hub bodies.
They released a retro fit kit to help with the noise, but it still creaked for me.
It also wore out pretty quickly with the torque of my Levo.
To be honest it didn’t get me up any hills any easier, just slower.
It was another expensive experiment that went nowhere.

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK

You'll more than likely need to change the rear hub freewheel to get anything below 11T to fit

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles